• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CT Engineering supercharger questions

I'm planning on picking up a used NSX soon, and although I am getting way ahead of myself here, I thought I'd look at some of the performance options.

At some point, I would like to supercharge the car, and it looks like CT Engineering is about the only CA legal kit around. What bothers me is the lack of information about the kit on their website. I was hoping that some of the members here would be able to tell me about their experience with the kit.

• I saw one post here where the OP was asking about torque specs. Does CT actually ship a kit without important information like this?
  • There is no mention about octane requirements. I would assume that 87 is a no-no, and 91 is the bare minimum. At least that's how it is with my other car. I'd love to just run 100 octane all of the time, but they don't say anything about running different octane or fuel maps.
  • Tuning? There's no mention of an ECU upgrade required, or a piggyback unit. Do you actually run the CTSC on the stock fuel and timing maps?

I'm going to do some more research in the electronics forum next, but thought this would be a good place to start.

Why not just call them and talk to the front of the horse?

:) I'm not ready to buy yet, I'm just curious about the process, that's all. Sounds like the low boost setup is the way to go since it requires the least number of modifications.

I'm planning on picking up a used NSX soon....

• I saw one post here where the OP was asking about torque specs. Does CT actually ship a kit without important information like this?
  • There is no mention about octane requirements. I would assume that 87 is a no-no, and 91 is the bare minimum. At least that's how it is with my other car. I'd love to just run 100 octane all of the time, but they don't say anything about running different octane or fuel maps.
  • Tuning? There's no mention of an ECU upgrade required, or a piggyback unit. Do you actually run the CTSC on the stock fuel and timing maps?

I'm going to do some more research in the electronics forum next, but thought this would be a good place to start.

Have you considered the SOS S/C? I did mine this past year, and after seeing my AIT's will be doing the SOS Intercooler kit next. Kit is expected to pass emissions, but isn't carb legal/certified for CA. So far happy with the kit and the driveability of the car hasn't changed, kit doesn't take away anything from the car at all compliments it very well. The NSX should have come with 400whp from factory :wink:

NSX takes premium 91 minimum so assuming every FI kit would be designed with this as the minimum in mind. My car was tuned with 94 octane which is widely avail here in Canada. As for either SOS or CT-E they send you the installation guide & checklist, as well as CT-E being avail online here http://ct-engineering.com/installation/NSX_SC_INST2008Autorotor_rev4.pdf. This will give you an idea of what is required in the installation, very similar to the SOS version as well.

As already mentioned CT-E is a closed plug & play tuning solution for the average NSX whereas the SOS kit is way more tuneable fuel, ignition, and timing depending on year either AEM EMS, or F/IC for ODBII cars. Makes sense to tune the car to your supporting mods, headers, exhaust, intake etc. Of course if you wanted to go CT-E you could always go EMS or F/IC later but that would be more $ down the line, if your gonna do might as well do it right the first time :biggrin:

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys. For me, the CARB E.O. is the most important factor in my decision. I absolutely do not want to have to deal with swapping components every two years for smog. I already have to do that with the Evo and it gets old, regardless of how trivial the changes are. So I think CTSC is really the right choice.

Honestly, this is way down the line for me. I want to run one autocross season stock, then maybe do some suspension work. At some point, I'm sure I'll want power, so I'll add the CTSC. Then maybe later on I'll swap the EMS.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys. For me, the CARB E.O. is the most important factor in my decision. I absolutely do not want to have to deal with swapping components every two years for smog. I already have to do that with the Evo and it gets old, regardless of how trivial the changes are. So I think CTSC is really the right choice.

Honestly, this is way down the line for me. I want to run one autocross season stock, then maybe do some suspension work. At some point, I'm sure I'll want power, so I'll add the CTSC. Then maybe later on I'll swap the EMS.

The CT-E 1.7L autorotor is your best bet. I hear you on that swapping parts and tunes becomes a real PITA. Plus I do believe in the car hugging the environment we also have random road side emissions inspection pull overs here in Ontario Canada not a fun experience at all. I'm sure you won't be disappointed CT-E is one of the best most reliable kits avail & you can always do upgrades like EMS, intercooler etc in the future. Anyway best of luck on your journey to NSX ownership keep us posted.

Contact Shad at drivingambition.us

He used to work with/for CT and may have a more powerful solution that may meet ur smog requirements.

+1
Shad will be more than willing to answer any questions you have. He will give honest and qualified answers from his personal experiences.

Back