Cowl shake

On my 05 NSX-T with the top off, I get quite a bit of cowl shake over rough pavement. I saw a brace that was available that mounts in the trunk right in front of the windshield wiper bay. Has anyone installed one of these ? I would be interested in what this bar is called and where can one buy it.
Also, if there are any other cures to tighten up the front I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Hi George,

I believe you are looking for the NSX-R chassis and sway bars. I do not currently have these installed on my car but will be looking to do so soon as I notice the same effect as you have.

Do you know what exactly is shakin', 'cuz I can hardly believe an '05 would have any factory parts defect. Unless I mistakenly understood what a cowl is, but seems like a good portion of the car, and not a part.

Cowl shake IS wicked in a targa car on roughish pavement during a highish speed turn with the roof off. I had it. Hated it. Got rid of it.

Im not 100% sure what fixed it, but I think it was either the NSXR chassis bars and/or my SOS harness bar. I have absolutely none now and it was a disaster before with the roof off.

Id start with the chassis bars given that they're a terrific mod for other things as well (turn in). If that doesnt fix it, maybe you should consider a harness bar to hold the dimensions of the car stable right behind where you're sitting.

Cowl shake IS wicked in a targa car on roughish pavement during a highish speed turn with the roof off. I had it. Hated it. Got rid of it.

Im not 100% sure what fixed it, but I think it was either the NSXR chassis bars and/or my SOS harness bar. I have absolutely none now and it was a disaster before with the roof off.

Id start with the chassis bars given that they're a terrific mod for other things as well (turn in). If that doesnt fix it, maybe you should consider a harness bar to hold the dimensions of the car stable right behind where you're sitting.
'

So your cowl shake is completely gone ?

I think its the harness bar. As I have the NSX-r chassis and sways on my T and it still shakes and I have the coupe as well but I'd love to hear a defnitive answer on the harness bars and if they really get rid of it or reduce as I'm thinking about the harness bars.

The R chassis bars help. So does the harness bar in the rear. Together I am sure they make a big difference. The front strut tower bar is something that should also help big time, that is something that no one here has to date that I know if. It was one of Vance's posts, George is that what you are talking about? It looked like a nice piece he was putting a GB together for it. I think that would help more than the R chassis bars. But the R chassis bars help in other areas not necessarily cowl shake. Anything that stiffens the chassis will help... and if you think the NSX is bad... I have a whole other slew of cars you can try that are 10X worse.

There is a Front Strut Brace bar for Right hand Drive NSX's... a picture of its is posted on the NSX GB site.

I email the guy asking if one was available for LHD NSX, he said NO. I'm sure we can get One made for LHD cars. This would solve our problem.

Here are some Pics

Bram

Price 240,- Euro
( Shipping cost to European Countries 19,- Euro)

fit only Right hand drive NSX

Material: Aluminium (weight <1KG)
View attachment 37897

View attachment 37898

View attachment 37899

There is a Front Strut Brace bar for Right hand Drive NSX's... a picture of its is posted on the NSX GB site.

I email the guy asking if one was available for LHD NSX, he said NO. I'm sure we can get One made for LHD cars. This would solve our problem.

Here are some Pics

Bram

Price 240,- Euro
( Shipping cost to European Countries 19,- Euro)

fit only Right hand drive NSX

Material: Aluminium (weight <1KG)
View attachment 37897

View attachment 37898

View attachment 37899

I am just wondering why the factory didn't do this? This is cheaper and less elaborate than then one Vance was working on. I think that one was like $550.

I'm sure if we can get some one to engineer and manufacture one for LHD NSX, using Aluminum then this can be a great GB.

I'm sure this would Eliminate any Cowl shake for T top cars, because it is going to strengthen the cowl area of the car.

Come on were are the fabricators..... like T1 Dave

Bram

ok... i'll ask.

what exactly is "cowl shake"?
what is "cowl"?

twist-&-shout...

what exactly is "cowl shake"?

Cowl shake: This is a vibration or shake of a vehicle, usually a convertible type, in the cowl area due to lack of torsional rigidity of the frame and body. A certain amount is almost unavoidable in convertibles unless frame-strengthening weight penalties are of no concern.
what is "cowl"?
Cowl: The part of the vehicle body between the engine firewall and the front of the dashpanel. It usually houses the instruments and the plenum chamber for the heater- ventilation system. (this is the definition for a front-engined automobile!)

Re: twist-&-shout...

Osiris has the better answer, but mine is:

remove roof -->turn on car-->drive car forward-->turn

It should be obvious what cowl shake is by the end of that exercise.

Re: twist-&-shout...

Cowl shake: This is a vibration or shake of a vehicle, usually a convertible type, in the cowl area due to lack of torsional rigidity of the frame and body. A certain amount is almost unavoidable in convertibles unless frame-strengthening weight penalties are of no concern.
Cowl: The part of the vehicle body between the engine firewall and the front of the dashpanel. It usually houses the instruments and the plenum chamber for the heater- ventilation system. (this is the definition for a front-engined automobile!)

thank you :)

Back