Couple of Questions on the -T

Hi all, I've been around for a little while, and trying to learn everything I can. I have ridden in a couple of fellow Primers cars (thanks Blodi and Duffer) and I'm currently looking for a car to purchase.

But first I have a couple of more questions. I'm starting to lean towards the 95-96 (with 80-100k miles to fit my budget) cars because I think the targa top would be nice. I know the car isn't going to be as stiff as a coupe, but how much worse is it? I have ridden in Duffers '97 (with the top on) and it felt stiff to me, but his car has very low mileage and will be slightly newer than mine. And it was the first NSX I ever rode in so I didn't know what to expect. I'm worried about cowl shake and other rattles with the top off. The NSX isn't that loose without the top is it? Also, is there a noticeable difference with the top on and off? I think it would be almost coupe-like with the top on.

Also I have read that 2nd gear was changed in 95 to make it slightly shorter. It seems very minor, but is it at all noticeable? My estimation based on data from the Wiki, makes me think 2nd would top out at ~78 instead of 81 on the coupes. Thanks.

Unless you hang out at the track every weekend, you aren't going to notice the increased chassis flex. If you want a Targa, then get a targa. The open roof motoring is surely worth the .002 of a second you might be slower around a track than a hardtop.

Cowl shake was something I worried about too when researching before I bought the 95, but I have yet to notice this or any rattles. If some rattles did pop up, I would take turn the music a few notches louder and keep rolling!

Would buy what I want - get the newest one with the lowest miles that's been thru the fewest owners you can afford! That's traditional best advice.

With that said - the gearing - man you won't know the difference till you get to the 6 speed tranny from any 5 speed- end of story. If you wait you might find the car with short gears already installed - then you'll notice a difference.

Otherwise, it depends on what you want the car for - if this is your first sports car and you just want it to fool around drive spiritedly a bit and cruise - you won't notice whether it is a targa or coupe. Maybe over bone shaking bumps but othewise don't worry about it. If you intend to use it for tracking and to develop your skills as a driver then the coupe is what you want. Otherwise it won't matter at all.

Biggest noticeable diff is between NA1 and NA2. What's your budget - start there and watch and wait and be ready. There is a beautiful red 91 for 33k with 28k miles on it - that would be nice! Think patience and budget and have something for deffered maintenance that is most likely waiting for you! Say 5k worth in reserve.

UThe open roof motoring is surely worth the .002 of a second you might be slower around a track than a hardtop.

As far as I know, a Na2-T still is faster @ the track.

Also, like the S2000, the "T" - NSX is perhaps stiffer than many production coupes, sportscars or not.

Oscar

I have a T. I neve rnoticed the flex until i went on a steep driveway. I got the stmpo
RSTB to stiffen it up, but this was after 5 years of driving without it. You will love the T at night, great for evening and night cruises. Get the targa:smile:

DSC01978.jpg

Last edited:
My two cents is this, see if you can stretch and get a 1997 T.

The 1995, 1996 T's were the heaviest cars with the 3.0 liter engine (270hp), along with the 5, speed with a tall second gear that everyone in the US with a NA1 will tell you is too damn tall.

The 1997 will have a six speed transmission with better gear ratios, at least for an NA car. In addition it will have the 3.2 liter engine (290hp).

You can close the gap between the 3.0 liter and 3.2 liter engine by adding a good set of headers and exhaust though..if a 1997 is definitely out of your budget. Not knowing what it is, this seems like a good deal on a 1998 NSX-T

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145562

Thanks for all the replies guys. I don't plan on tracking it much if at all. It'll mainly be used for spirited driving on back roads. My budget is 30k tops. I know that's on the low side for an NSX, but I think I can find a car in decent shape for that. The miles will be higher, but based on everything I've read on the forums, the miles don't scare me that much. The NSX seems to be a really well put together car.

Sumeronthechain, I'm glad you didn't notice any cowl shake. That's probably my single biggest worry about the Targa.

tbrombley, I didn't think there would be a noticeable difference in the 2 versions of the 5-speed but I thought I would ask. I know the 6-speed would be much better, but unfortunately the NA2's are just too expensive for me. I was actually close to buying a 92 with short gears, but they guy sold it before I found the ad. I would definately like the short gears, but since they are so rare I'm not going to wait forever to find one, but if I do, that will be a big deciding factor on buying it.

Ko-nsx, thanks for the input (beautiful car btw). I think having the top off and cruising will be awesome. Did the RSTB make a big difference? I was already thinking about picking up those things, but worried they may not make a big difference on the T since most of the flex I would think would be where the roof is actually removed, not the strut tower area. But I'm sure anything would help.

clr1024, I would love to get an NA2, but that's just not going to happen unfortunately. At first I was worried about the weight of the targa with the 3.0L engine, but the more I think about it, I'm not too worried about the car being slower. As discussed many times on this board, the NSX isn't the fastest car out there, even in NA2 form, so what's the difference adding ~90lbs to an NA1 car. There isn't a car out there I would beat in a coupe that I couldn't in a Targa. I do definately want to get headers for the car once I get it. That would probably be the first mod. I wouldn't mind picking up a car that already has them either.

Thanks for all the input guys.

i have loved my t.it's been a rough week with some serious family health problems.yesterday i took the top off,drove down some twisty country roads in the 70 degree dusk,and it was just magic.when i was getting the car,i decided that it was my dream car and in the dream it was open to the sky.

i had read the the t is a very stiff car with the roof off,with very little sag if propped on a lift compared to most.this describes extensive body mods to stiffen the t:
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Changes_by_Year#Changes_for_1995
rattles are no problem with the top off,i had some with the top on,but it's mostly been fixed by upgrading to newer hook stops (part of latch).2nd gear did become lower in 95,helping with a problem some perceived in dropping out of vtech range on the 1-2 shift,and the 5-speed has a nice solid shift feel.

i agree with other posters that you will probably not notice the extra weight unless you're an experienced race driver.the t only adds 100lb.,which someone else calculated might add about .15 seconds to 60.

it is good to get some honda shin etsu grease and put it on the top seals.a mechanic told me if you do that they don't leak or squeak,and it prolongs their life bc they are mega-expensive. so get what you want,enjoy it.

Last edited:
Many turbo and SC owners prefer the US gear stack. You run out of gear too fast with the JDM.

Back