Countach-what do they actually cost to own?

A friend of mine is looking into a Lamborghini Countach. I have heard all kinds of second hand tales about these cars costing huge $ for operation even if you hardly drive them. Assuming the clutch is good and no oil leaks will they really cost 10k a year to operate? Any diifference between the 375 and 455hp versions as far as breakage etc? Anyone?

Exotic Italian auto cost analysis

Nuck,
I can share some personal info regarding Italian cars in general. I have grown up in & around Ferraris, and even though I start a tad off topic, we understand they are still in the Italian exotic lineup. From experience with these HIGH Maintenance Money Pits, the average operating costs for the 8cyl models alone can very easily eat up about 3k to 6K a yr. The 12cyl models are a whole new nightmare, these run between 10k & 25k a year
easily, if used as the car was made to be. One reason for these economic wows is due to a lack of feasible options when something goes wrong. Second most people don’t know anyone that can help much when it comes to getting discounts on service or parts for Italian cars. Third, which is the most obvious is the rarity of the model... considering the Countach which is much more a rarity than say a 328. I know of a guy that paid $6000 for a clutch and installation in his 308. 2yrs later he is due for another clutch...not due to ignorance, but in part due to the low life expectancy of most Italian parts.

As far as a Lamborghins yearly operating cost, you can count on paying top dollar for any problems that ‘Will’ arise. These Italian monsters love to burn holes in the pavement and your wallet. Most OEM Lamborghini parts start at around $500, hopefully after that bang you can install it yourself. Lambos are really in a category outside & above the Ferrari, so expect to pay big time for that. 10k is not hard to spend on a Lamborghini.

Personally I would not let the above stop me from owning either of those marquees, keep in mind you must not be faint of heart as they love to test your endurance. However, if your friend happens to be a member of OPEC then by all means buy a Lambo, dont look back and drive it everyday!

Last edited:
Back