Cost to paint "black" coupe section

I'm wondering what's the cost of painting the hardtop. There are some sun damage/blemishes and I'm at a lost as to what I should expect to pay.

Anybody with experience or suggestion please chime in. And yes, I would like to keep the OEM black top and not color match with the body.

roof-blemish1.jpg

I would say probably close to $1000, may be cheaper. Do your homework with the bodyshop before you let them touch your car. I had a horrible experience with a previous shop, most of you have read about, and I am paying more now do to their poor quality. Please post pictures once your roof is complete.
Another option is to have the top section of the roof painted, and have Ravi (KANE) re-wrap your "b" pillars, and roof gutters. Frank

There was a recent post on an new M3 with I believe 3M wrap, instead of painting you can wrap the car with the color of your choice and remove it. I would consider that as an option before painting.

About 1k depending upon the shop. Bear in mind that the interior of your car will be taken apart -- it's necessary in order to pull off the b-pillar covers and to gain access to other parts. If you ever thought about replacing the (heavy) b-pillar covers, now's the time. I've considered cf painted black just to be rid of what seemed to me to be an unnecessary amount of weight.
I also got into an argument with the shop rep over whether or not the b-pillar covers were plastic or not. He said they were, I said they weren't and woundn't guarantee that the paint would adhere to plastic. Turns out they are indeed metal.:biggrin:
Good luck.

I'm wondering what's the cost of painting the hardtop. There are some sun damage/blemishes and I'm at a lost as to what I should expect to pay.

Anybody with experience or suggestion please chime in. And yes, I would like to keep the OEM black top and not color match with the body.

roof-blemish1.jpg

The previous owner had my roof painted from black to red and it was alittle more than $600 and it looks perfect.

Stephen

The B pillars on my 91 were shot just like yours are (i think they are plastic or fiberglass but they arent aluminum and thats why they are the first parts to oxidize and look bad, check the rear spoiler next).
After taking my car to several places to have the job bid i decided to have the entire car resprayed.
The shop had it for over 3 months the first time and have had it again for about a month this time (touch ups and fixes). All in all i think the job turned out very well and even after i nit picked it apart the owner of the shop was willing to fix anything that wasnt perfect for me.
Sure it has taken a long time but i was always told that you will be lucky to get 2 out of the 3 (good price, good work, or good service). I am just glad the shop i chose stands behind their work and was willing to do it to my satisfaction for the price we had originally agreed upon.
I spent around $5,000 on the paint work and another $2,000 on missing, broken or damaged; clips, plastic parts, screws etc...
Now when people see my car they swear that it has either been stored in the garage everyday since it was new and never driven or that it is a brand new car. When i tell people its a 91 with 137k on it they look at me like i'm lying to them.
IMO nothing says more about the condition of your vehicle than the paint. I would pick the shop you have the work done at very carefully.

Since you are in so. cal...give MVDesignz in Santa Ana a call...Mike (owner) should be able to get you a ballpark figure. They are liittle more $$ than most shops but do excellent work. I had my entire car painted there and have no regrets. Tell him Jeff Ling sent ya'.
Good luck.

Jeff

I just had a great shop spray my b pillars and touch up lower front bumper where I got too close to a parking divider. $500 out the door and came out fantastic.

Have you tried a rubbing compound? At this point I don't see that it could hurt anything.

sorry i am cheap when it comes to somethings... Dealer Wanted 1000 and other high end shops 1200...

Went to A local person i used before when i had minor scratch on m6.....300.00 one day turn around--2 coats paint 2 clear coats....Looks like glass

sorry i am cheap when it comes to somethings... Dealer Wanted 1000 and other high end shops 1200...

Went to A local person i used before when i had minor scratch on m6.....300.00 one day turn around--2 coats paint 2 clear coats....Looks like glass

$300 sounds about right if they shoot it on the car. Add several hundred more to remove, shoot them off the car, and reassemble. You won't believe how much you need to remove of the interior to get those bad boys out.

:eek:

i got quoted for $400 to repaint my roof, still debating though.
i want a differenct type of color like black pearl....i wonder how it would look like.

Have you tried a rubbing compound? At this point I don't see that it could hurt anything.
That made mine worse

You won't believe how much you need to remove of the interior to get those bad boys out.

:eek:

I've never really taken the time to look to see what all is involved but I didn't think it was much. Guess I'm wrong.:frown:
Glad I haven't bought a CF pair and thought they would 'just snap on'.

Back