Corvette vs NSX

just out of curiousity, wanted to know why some of you may have chosen your NSX over a corvette, or why you think nsx's are better/more desirable than corvettes

That is easy.

1. NSX is an exotic car... a corvette is not.
2. NSX's are rare. You are lucky to see one. Corvettes are EVERYWHERE.
3. Peformance is comparable, but not to a Z06... you will need a SC for that.
4. the view out of the NSX is amazing. The view out of the corvette just shows you a HUGE hood.
5. the inteior quality of the NSX is amazing. The corvette is junk. It looks like my brothers cavalier!
6. you feel like you are part of the NSX when you drive it... the Corvette feels really large -- at least to me..
7. the shifter in the NSX is amazing.. I personally do not like the shifter in the Corvette.

There are of course a few advanatages to the vette.
1. mods are a LOT less
2. not so expensive to fix.
3. the glass roof is really cool
4. TORQUE!
5. great gas mileage for highway.

I was raised in a Vette house, and love Vettes and specifically the Z06s.

I didn't buy one because I can't stomach the interior, question the build quality (relative to an NSX), and didn't have as much fun driving it. It sounds strange, but driving the NSX is an 'experience' that I never seem to get tired of. Its a combination of seating position, the sound the engine makes, the way the transmission shifts, and a zillion other things that just seem to feel right.

I'd still love to have a Z06 too, but I had to pick one and feel I made the right call for something I plan on keeping a lifetime.

My roomate has a FRC C5 with short shifter and borla exhaust. It is sweet. He also has 335's on his rears aftermarket wheels. When we are looking in to our garage, my 255's on the NSX look very small!

Nevertheless, I cannot tell you how much I love the NSX. It is so beautiful to look at. I personally love the lines. Classic.

The view, interior, and engine note are all preferable to me over the C5. That is not to say I do not think the C5 has a neat interior or exhaust note. It most certainly does. I just like the NSX sound and view better.

Threads like this have been hashed and re-hashed.
XXXXXX vs. NSX.
I owned 3 Corvettes and loved them all. I still like the Corvette I just like my NSX more. It's apples and oranges.
Is one better than the other?
Depends on what you want, what "floats your boat".
They are two different approaches on a performance car and both have their merits.
Drive both and decide for yourself that's the best way to judge.

Was ready to pull the trigger on a C5 about 6 months ago until I took a test drive in the NSX. I have always admired the NSX, but it only took me one drive and I never looked at another C5 again. Took about three months to find the right NSX, but I am happy with the decision! I have owned three Corvettes, three Porsches (let's not even go there on a comparison basis), the RX-7 TT, and others, but nothing compares to the total package you get from an NSX. The NSX is not the fastest I've driven (props out to the Viper and the ZO6), but has the complete package. The SC fixes any potential percieved performance deficiency. The C5 IMHO is one of the best if not the best bang for the buck cars out there. The exterior is great, the performance very good, I too like the fat tires, but the interior is classic GM crap. In the end, look at the value of a 10 year old Corvette relative to the original MSRP, not to mention (but I wil anyway) the rattles and you will see the build quality difference is night and day. Don't get me wrong, I still like the C5, but the NSX is in a completely different class. Just my $0.02

The vette didn't even enter my mind when buying the NSX. The Viper, yes.

Now I did think about the Vette when buying my Mustang. ;)

I considered a Corvette vs. NSX equation when purchasing my NSX 3 years ago. And it was a close call. Everybody says the NSX is this and the NSX is that over the Corvette but I really loved both and would have enjoyed tracking both cars. The Corvette I really wanted was a 91-93 ZR-1. I loved the engine. It was strong and the HP was amazing. It held several high speed records and I still love the lines of the C4.

Still, I purchased the NSX. I throughly enjoy it and don't regret my decision. The deciding factor was the interior. I cannot say enough about the interior of the NSX. The view, the seats (though I've replaced mine), the layout of the controls. It feels great! The C4 was a little bit different though still attractive to me. I think if I got the C4 I would have always wondered what the NSX would have been like.

2. dependability
3. reliability

aren't they one in the same?? :)

one reason I took an NSX over a vette:

A-T-T-E-N-T-I-O-N!

No offense, but every mid-life crisis 'wish i was' million-aire out there has a corvette!! Thats not to say that everyone with a vette is like that, but everyone like that has a vette :)

I like it when older vette owners gawk at my car...somewhere in the back of their mind they're saying "damn, I shoulda had a v6" ;)

Brian2by2 said:
aren't they one in the same?? :)

"No offense, but every mid-life crisis 'wish i was' million-aire out there has a corvette!!"

No offense but there are few "young" people with identity problems (look I'm rich/successful young turk) that buy NSX's too.:p

Judge not, lest thy be judged.;)

Gentlemen,
Let's not turn this into a negative topic by saying things we are not 100% sure about others. Let's get back on the topic, please.

hash/rehash

The lease was up on my 2000 C5 Convertible, it was a great car, the ride and handling were awesome, the car was comfortable, the "goodies" (heads up display, outside temp, stereo, active handling, etc) all made the car fun. The torque was great, at 5 MPH in fourth gear, that car would pull. Where do I go, the C6 not due out for another year, I test drove the C4 Cab, felt good, but looks like every car around me, didn't "stir my soul", always loved the NSX since it came out, the new look (02) wasn't sure if it was better, or worse than the previous, the more I looked the more I liked it. I test drove the car, and case was closed. The vette was a "brute", and the NSX is pure finesse. It all comes down to what stirs your soul, not what anyone else thinks. For the money, the vette is almost a no-brainer, but on a lease, the NSX is almost the same price, and IMHO I couldn't have made a better choice. Each time I walk towards my car, I smile, now if that's the feeling you're looking for, go for it!!!!!

Owning NSX is almost like owning both NSX and Corvette. People always tell me I have a nice Corvette... :o So for having only one car, I get to own both. If you buy a Corvette, no one is going to mistake it for NSX...

But seriously, reliability and interior was two major thing for me that did it. Chevy really need to do something about that rental car interior.

There's no doubt Corvette is a competent performer though.

A few things. I have owned both the NSX and a C5 vette, but I can't really put them in the same category for all the reasons obviously stated in the above responses. I loved my vette, but it served a completely different purpose than the NSX. Unless you are comparing 0-60 or 1/4 mile times, it doesn't make sense to put them in the same category. I am not trying to rip on the vettes, but they are not much more similar to the NSX's than the Mercedes CLK 430 that I use to own. Just because something goes fast, it doesn't mean that you can compare it apples to apples. I had a really positive experience with my vette and loved driving it, but I wouldn't compare it my NSX no more than I would compare it to the SUV sitting in my garage.

Didn't buy one because everyone and their mother (including mine) owns a Corvette! Seriously it felt too heavy and boat like comapred to the NSX. The NSX is a pleasure to drive, even in Los Angeles/Orange County traffic. And mine has a manual tranny.

I love my NSX! I have one of these on :D everytime when I'm just lookin' at it, drivin' it, and even cleaning/waxing it!

I never considered a vette when I was looking for my NSX. To me, vettes just are'nt very good looking cars. I don't like the long hood and big ass. Plus, some days if seems like every other person on the road here is driving a vette. To me it comes down to this... an NSX can be modified to go as fast as a Z06, but you can't modify a vette to be as beautiful as an NSX. End of story.

Dave

Haven't driven both but sat in both. Very different feel in terms of both. The Corvette doesn't have as good as a view as the NSX and the shifter feels a bit out of place and has a funky feel compared to the NSX where it fits me like a glove. The view for the front/rear is incredible in the NSX.

The NSX interior and overall build quality is higher. I'm not complaining too much about the Vette interior. Its no NSX interior but I've gotten used to driving in cars with even worse interiors. ;) GM has improved a lot since the last C4. I also like the look of both cars but still prefer the lower and smaller look of the NSX. Just my preference though. The C5 is really big and wide but still looks awesome.

I'm still considering over a '97 NSX or an '02 Z06. They're within my price range. I'm probably more likely to buy an NSX but not leaving the Corvette out of question. I'll test drive both in a year and see which car "feels" better to me.

Back