Coolant tank blew its top off

Driving along at modest speed the other day and my coolant tank blew the whole cap and assembly off... literally. The metal fitting in the plastic tank actually separated from the plastic tank - see photo. Shocking thing ... after all the car is only 24 y.o. ... surely this will be covered under warranty ? :rolleyes: :smile:

It made a loud pop when it hit the read window but fortunately no damage. When I first looked in rear mirror I thought some jerk had thrown an egg on rear window, but then I noticed the egg yolk was a slimey blue stuff :smile:

I guess it's time to get one of the fancy metal after market tanks ... but which is the best?

Attachments

• Coolant tank pops.jpg
    Coolant tank pops.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 215
The tank on my old 92 was starting to separate like that. I could see it popping out, but good thing it never fully popped out. Given time I bet it would have though.

Last edited:
Hi Sparky,
That was lucky you noticed it before it got too hot....
This subject was discussed a bit during the tech sessions at NSXPO and they showed us a brand new alloy tank that was weeping from new. The general opinion was to stay OEM, but you knew I would say that!!
Better get it fixed for NSX day on the 23 Nov :)

Scott

I've been through 2 OEM tanks, and mine is a 2002, so I went aftermarket with The Package Group through Prime. So far so good. I did add more protection to the "see-through" tube [to check coolant]. I felt it was vulnerable to being ripped out, just by wrenching in the vicinity. I cut a length of 5/8 inch plastic tube length wise and used 1/4 inch strips of gorilla tape to secure. It's been 2-3 months and 4 track days, all is well. I will come up with a better solution one of these days.tank.jpg

Last edited:
While coolant tank failure is common, I have yet to see one blow like that - good thing you didn't let it get too hot.

well if you didn't have the cool cover over it you would have noticed the coolant tanks color was yellow which means its ready to die.

almost like out of sight out of mind.

I love the SOS coolant cover but it will hide a problem behind it for years till this happens.

the best thing to do it buy the aluminum one and never worry again.

Coolant%20tank%20pops.jpg

The general opinion was to stay OEM, but you knew I would say that!!
Better get it fixed for NSX day on the 23 Nov :)

gudday Mr OEM - bit envious of your NSXPO stories. One way or another I'll be there on 23rd - even if I have to strap the tank cap down !

- - - Updated - - -

... do not believe a word about driving at moderate speed
ha ha ... trust me Ian !
Unfortunately I'm not able to join in the wine country run... are you able to get here for Les's NSX day on 23rd ?

Back