Converting a radio mod back to stock OEM Bose unit?

Hey Guys,

Really am curios about what it would take to go back from an Alpine stereo unit and door speakers to the original Bose unit. The dash was has another type of plastic surround that fits the rectangle radio and the other stuff is gone and door speakers. I don't mind the door speakers so much but the dash looks awful and the lack of the original plastic in the console tape player spot beneath the ac unit is gone and it just looks bad to me. I just want OEM. I'm looking at a 94 that has had this done - otherwise it's a nice car. White with tan interior - which is rare and I like that part but the side door plastic has been taken out and replaced with fake looking carbon fiber bull crap. I just want a completely OEM appearance. The wheels are the OEM chrome option on the 7 spoke wheels and I can't stand those. Anyone have a set of originals for the car that are not chromed units?

Thanks your help is greatly appreciated. Also someone hooked up a radar detector in the spot where the ashtray is supposed to be and ran it thru the phone off/on button. Man I just hate stuff like that. Don't want the phone but that's just turkey stuff.

Tim

Provided they installed the aftermarket radio correctly(no wire cutting, etc.) it should be pretty straight forward with that. MOST of the time, people get the pig tail that plugs into the factory harness on one end and the other you have to connect the wires out of it with those coming out of the radio. Just buy an OEM radio, OEM center console that hasn't been molested and away you go.
As for the door speakers, you need to look and see what you have left. Sometimes I have seen people just remove the actual speaker itself from the housing and replace just the speaker. Or, they may have taken the speaker/enclorsure completely out and had a new enclosure made custom for the brand/type of speaker they are going back with. Same as with the radio though. If they did it the right way with plug-n-play wiring harness, it should be a breeze to go back with OEM Bose speakers/amp assemblies.
I think the biggest obstacle will be finding the OEM center console that hasn't been abused and is resonably priced. I would keep an eye out in the 'Parts for Sale' section here.
Good luck in your search.

In addition to what 92NSX said if you were wanting to go back stock I would try to reach BrianK on here. He does rebuilding on the factory amplifiers and has some of the items you would be in need of. Again the center console will be the hardest thing to find. You may also try to call a few of the shops or junkyards on here in addition to the parts section in your quest.

Just out of curiosity Would you mind posting pictures of the console? another thought is that you could save money and just refinish the console. Any competant stereo shop can do this. Just my two cents.

Good luck in your search!

There are 2 used OEM Bose head units on ebay right now. $400 each. I am going to get mine fixed by Williams(radio doesn't work) or go the aftermarket route.

Back