Considering a purchase

Hello all. I am a brand new member, but I've spent some considerable time reading through the FAQs and previous posts.

I'm considering a particular vehicle which is currently at auction and was wondering if I might solicit some opinions from the experts here. The car in question can be found here.

I've e-mailed the seller a few questions, but have not yet laid out the money for a CarFax as I don't have an account with them yet or anything. So, I don't really know anything other than what can be found in the listing. The thing of interest to me is that this 1994 has only a little over 7,000 miles. I don't know if it's ever been wrecked, how many times it's changed owners or anything else.

I've downloaded the Used NSX Checklist from the FAQ section, and it is very helpful, however I have the disadvantage of being about 2,000 miles from the car, so it would be very difficult for me to actually perform said checklist.

My wife wants me to get on a plane and go check it out prior to making any sort of commitment, but I would first like to get opinions from the group about this purchase.

• Does anything jump out here that I'm not seeing which I should be concerned about?
  • Although I've seen the price guide, what are some opinions about what a fair price for this vehicle would be?
  • Any other comments or items I should take into consideration with regards to this vehichle specifically would be welcome.

Thanks very much in advance for any wisdom you might wish to impart.

John

Get a CarFax report before you spend any more time on this car. All you need is a credit card! However, I'm not sure if even a CarFax report is a guarantee against an error or intentional manipulation of actual mileage on a car. I believe there have been other posts on this very issue. I suggest that you perform a search using the words CarFax, mileage and fraud. I'm sure other more experienced forum members will have additional things to say on this matter.

Good Luck!

Wow, 7,000 miles on a '94 and it's the best color, too!

It's hard to tell about the driver's seat. Might be wear, might be glare. I'd want better pictures at the least.

A no-reserve auction - that's unusual. Seller has very low feedback, but is a business that's easy to verify.

Looks like a nice car to me. If I was in the market, I'd be looking for some local expertise to look at it for me.

Expect to pay a premium for the low miles, but hopefully, they won't realize just how much that can be on an NSX. Post on the NW forum for someone to go look at it, or email the previous owner as recommended above. I bet you can get it a lot cheaper than his 46,950 asking price. Be sure to get a pre-purchase inspection from an Acura NSX Tech. or similar. Good luck.

FYI- I just called Magic Toyota and they are asking $46,900, so they know what they have and I bet that reserve price will reflect it.

Also with so few miles ensure that all the timed maintenance has been performed. An underdriven car can have as many issues as a beat on car........Steve

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I did send in an e-mail and received a nice response from the seller. Looks like they feel the car is worth $43-44k, but I'm not willing to go that far.

I've run the bid up to almost $35k on eBay, but still haven't met the reserve, so I'll let someone else have it.

Several of you have mentioned areas of concern to take into account and they are in line with my own. Nothing can get around the fact that this car is 12 years old, even with the low miles. Rubber dries out, gaskets get old, and all sorts of other problems develop over time.

Considering that they are looking for somewhere in the neighborhood of 2/3 the original price I don't consider it a good value. Had $35k done the job I'd have flown up there and dropped off a check and driven the 2,000 miles home just for fun. But for this age and price it doesn't make sense. Too many other options...

Oh well.

John

jpozadzides said:
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I did send in an e-mail and received a nice response from the seller. Looks like they feel the car is worth $43-44k, but I'm not willing to go that far.

I've run the bid up to almost $35k on eBay, but still haven't met the reserve, so I'll let someone else have it.

Several of you have mentioned areas of concern to take into account and they are in line with my own. Nothing can get around the fact that this car is 12 years old, even with the low miles. Rubber dries out, gaskets get old, and all sorts of other problems develop over time.

Considering that they are looking for somewhere in the neighborhood of 2/3 the original price I don't consider it a good value. Had $35k done the job I'd have flown up there and dropped off a check and driven the 2,000 miles home just for fun. But for this age and price it doesn't make sense. Too many other options...

Oh well.

John

IMO- smart choice. That car should continue to be stored away in a cryogenic chamber and driven out by Walt Disney in 200 years.:wink: Find yourself a newer one with more mods for less and drive and enjoy it daily.

jpozadzides said:
Looks like they feel the car is worth $43-44k, but I'm not willing to go that far.

They're smoking crack. A '94 is worth about $10,000 less than that. The low miles are in my opinion a negative. The car probably sat for long periods of time unused. That's not good. They need to be driven. It's still going to need anything that's made out of rubber replaced due to the age. Meaning hoses, timing belt, crankshaft pulley. $35K is about as high as I would go too.

This '93 looks pretty nice and it has a new timing belt.

Back