congratulations Tamba Bay Lightning - 2004 Stanley Cup Champions

woohoo cheers to a very young franchise winning the stanley cup for the first time! that second goal by fedontenko from a centering pass by a mad-stick-handling lecavalier was just a thing of beauty....

c'mon, there's gotta be some hockey fans around here! :)

Double-J said:
woohoo cheers to a very young franchise winning the stanley cup for the first time! that second goal by fedontenko from a centering pass by a mad-stick-handling lecavalier was just a thing of beauty....

c'mon, there's gotta be some hockey fans around here! :)

Best series I've seen in a long time!

Agreed, Lecavalier went through 4 people, makes a perfect pass, and then gets leveled. Then he gets right back up after the goal is scored. Then there was the sweet move on his semi-breakaway late in the game, but Kiprusoff made an awesome save.
He's one of my favorite players, best move of the playoffs (vs Philly) was his around the back, bounce the puck off the back of the net, spin around, and make a perfect pass to set up another goal. He made that defenseman look like an orange cone.
And then there was Richards winning the MVP, sweet, we share the same number (#19) :)

satan_srv said:
Calrgary only showed up for the third...it was really a shame cause they totally dominated when they did.

Thats true, but I don't know about the interference call that gave Calgary the power play, which they scored on. I didn't think that was a good call. But it would have been more exciting if Calgary played the 1st 2 periods the way they played in the 3rd.

Congratulations to the Tampa Bay Lightning. It was a great series, and both teams played well enough to deserve the championship.

Being a Dallas Stars fan, I am especially happy for Daryl Sydor. He was one of my favorite players while in Dallas, who always played hard, and was a real nice guy when I met him at an autograph signing event they set up for season ticket holders. I still don't understand why the Stars traded him.

Also, I am happy for Brad Lukowich (another former Star), because he got screwed out of getting his name on the Stanley Cup in 1999. Another hard-working, classy player.

Great season, great playoffs. Let's hope they play next season. This work stoppage crap is scaring me.

I used to love watching hockey, but got to admit that I haven't watched a single game in years. Probably after we won the Presidents trophy but lost in the first round of the playoffs. Now we have a player getting arrested for arranging a hit on someone.:eek:

Syonara said:
Thats true, but I don't know about the interference call that gave Calgary the power play, which they scored on. I didn't think that was a good call. But it would have been more exciting if Calgary played the 1st 2 periods the way they played in the 3rd.

It was a weak call, basically yelle or whoever it was was totally flying and just smoked the guy. But calgary got so many penalty calls it really ruined them.

For periods 1 and 2 all they did was kill penalties and ice the puck at full strength.

But man can lecavalier play, I don't care who you're rooting for, that was just plain sick.

Yeah, the interference call was kind of weak, but, at full speed, it looked a lot more like a penalty.

I agree, watching Lecavalier play is great, especially when he is on. But, so is Iginla, what a remarkable talent.

Watching both of those guys weave through a crowd with the puck is fun, no matter what team you support.

nkb said:
Yeah, the interference call was kind of weak, but, at full speed, it looked a lot more like a penalty.

I agree, watching Lecavalier play is great, especially when he is on. But, so is Iginla, what a remarkable talent.

Watching both of those guys weave through a crowd with the puck is fun, no matter what team you support.

Lecavalier fighting Iginla was great too..I would have paid to see it last longer heh Iginla would have folded him like a shirt :p

I wonder how many people had actually seen much of Iginla in the States before the Stanley cup finals. Doesn't seem like superstars on Canadian teams get a lot of exposure in the states. I could be wrong but it's just my general observation.

satan_srv said:
Lecavalier fighting Iginla was great too..I would have paid to see it last longer heh Iginla would have folded him like a shirt :p

I wonder how many people had actually seen much of Iginla in the States before the Stanley cup finals. Doesn't seem like superstars on Canadian teams get a lot of exposure in the states. I could be wrong but it's just my general observation.
In general, I don't think Iginla got much coverage until 2 years ago, when he lead the league in scoring.

But, since he also is a former Star (traded for Joe Nieuwendyk), I have always followed him a little more than others. He has developed into an exciting player.

Game 7 should have never happened...

Calgary scored the winner in the 3rd period of game 6...Puck was clearly across the line ..but the refs missed it....maybe Calgary's bench should have made more noise over it...

But both teams fought hard all the way through the playoffs...It's a shame that only 1 team can win the cup....

Well Calgary is a little sad today but we're still proud of how far our Flames went. I was a really disappointed in the Flames play in game 7. You can't take dumb penalty after dumb penalty in game 7 of the finals and expect to win.

Sincere congrats to the Tampa Bay fans. They played a good series and clearly wanted it more than the Flames in games 6 and 7. It was definitely a hard-fought series and Tampa has a great team. I thought Richards definitely deserved the Conn Smythe too.

I just hope we have hockey in September!

By the way, for the hockey fans among you, I highly recommend HDTV. I finally took the plunge last Christmas, and, even though the HD programming is still limited, getting to watch an NHL game in High Def is worth it alone.

Of all the sports, hockey benefits the most from HD, in my opinion. You see larger portions of the ice (allows you to see more of the play develop), and everything (especially the puck) is crystal clear.

Every game of the Finals was shown in High Def on ESPN and ABC. I hope NBC also goes the HD route next season (assuming there is one).

True story that was quite funny yesterday here in Tampa. The Tampa Tribune prepared in advance two editorials for the opinion page to cover either outcome (win or lose).
Yesterday's paper had the front 2/3 page with Andreychuk hoisting the cup over his head with the headline stating OURS!, while page 16 had (you guessed it) the wrong editorial stating they had lost. These are already on eBay as collectors items while the Tribune is wiping the egg off their face!

And to add to the irony, the arena (located in Tampa) where the final game was won was recently named "Saint Petersburg Times Forum" as the Tribune's arch rival purchased the naming rights to the former Ice Palace a couple of years ago.

NCC-1701D said:
Game 7 should have never happened...

Calgary scored the winner in the 3rd period of game 6...Puck was clearly across the line ..but the refs missed it....maybe Calgary's bench should have made more noise over it...

Did you see the simulation they showed? The puck was in the air, so from some angles, it looked like it was over the line, but it actually wasn't, and after being reviewed everyone agreed it was no goal.
And if you don't believe that, it was obviously kicked in anyway, which definitley makes it no goal.

i didn't get to catch all the games.

as i'm typing this i'm reminded that most of my coworkers are going to go watch *shudder* the nba finals. may as well go for some free beer...

from what i saw, this may not have been the best cup finals, but it was much more exciting than any nba game.

i was really surprised how fedotenko and richards stepped it up.
i thought for sure st louis would have been the TB post season mvp. also cool to see the bulin wall win as the first russian goaltender to win the cup ever.

never during the regular season would i have expected these two teams to advance this far. tampa has proved they are indeed for real, and what sucks for the east is they'll continue to be good since they have a young core to build with around guys like lecavlier, modin and richards.

as a former stars fan, i'm also glad for sydor.
congrats to tampa, and here's to a new cba and the Leafs in 2005!

go leafs go!

Re: Re: congratulations Tamba Bay Lightning - 2004 Stanley Cup Champions

Syonara said:
Best series I've seen in a long time!

Not when you're a Philly fan.
Man it sucks blowing a game 7 to kill ANOTHER birth to the finals.
But I think TB deserved this one, they're a damn good team this year

Syonara said:
And if you don't believe that, it was obviously kicked in anyway, which definitley makes it no goal.
Actually, no, pucks that go off of a skate are indeed counted as a goal. It's only disallowed when a player deliberately "kicks" it in. But Gelinas was stopping (skates parallel) and the puck hit them -- that would have been legit. Whether it did or didn't cross the line....tough to tell. The camera angle was from above and to the side, so even though you could see the line, it didn't mean the puck broke the plane. The most damning evidence should have been that we could see ice between Khabibulin's pad and the goal line. If the puck bounced off his pad, what does that say about where the puck had to be. Anyway these things happen and the Flames didn't lose because of that one questionable goal...

.........it was the one in game 4! :D Ha ha just kidding...

CokerRat said:
Actually, no, pucks that go off of a skate are indeed counted as a goal. It's only disallowed when a player deliberately "kicks" it in. But Gelinas was stopping (skates parallel) and the puck hit them -- that would have been legit.

Well, I'll agree there (he was stopping), but when I play, if I see a rebound come out that I can't get with my stick but can get with my skate, I'll be damn sure to make it look like I'm stopping towards the puck when I'm really trying to kick it in for the goal. I've done it before, and its been disallowed before too. So I[/] still think it was on purpose, and maybe Gelinas was doing what I would have done.

Either way, great series :D

Back