Confessions of a Car Salesman

I recently stumbled upon this article from Edmunds.com about a journalist going undercover as a car salesman to see how people are treated and how things are done at dealerships.

Very,VERY informative. It gives a pretty deep perspective of the industry.

Warning: It's pretty long but I guarantee it's worth the time to read.
Here's the introduction:

Confessions of a Car Salesman

Introduction
By Edmunds.com Editors
Date Posted 01-18-2001
What really goes on in the back rooms of car dealerships across America?

What does the car salesman do when he leaves you sitting in a sales office and goes to talk with his boss?

What are the tricks salespeople use to increase their profit and how can consumers protect themselves from overpaying?

These were the questions we, the editors at Edmunds.com, wanted to answer for our readers. But how could they really know that our information was accurate and up-to-date? Finally, we came up with the idea of hiring an investigative reporter to work in the industry and experience, firsthand, the life of a car salesman.

We hired Chandler Phillips, a veteran journalist, to go undercover by working at two new car dealerships in the Los Angeles area. First, he would work at a high-volume, high-pressure dealership selling Japanese cars. Then, he'd change over to a smaller car lot that sold domestic cars at "no haggle" prices.

We invite you to read the following account of Phillips' day-to-day experience on the car lots. Doing so will broaden your understanding of the dealership sales process. It will also cast a new light on the role of the car salesman. And, finally, it will help you get a better deal — and avoid hidden charges — the next time you go to buy or lease a new car.

Read, learn and enjoy.

— The editors at Edmunds.com

Enjoy! Confessions of a Car Salesman

I read this article about 8 months ago before I picked up my X. The reader must sometimes read between the lines to understand the true perspective.

Re: A flash!

effer said:
This could lead to a nice film scenario.

Reminds me one about estate agents with Kevin Spacey, Al Pacino, Jack Lemon(?)...

What a tough job...

Always Be Closing...
;)

A very long read, but definitely worth it. Reminds me of the times I have gone and negotiated with new car dealers.

I'm one of the few people that actually enjoy going to the dealerships and haggling on behalf of my friends and family.

First rule: Never go to a car dealership without a financial calculator.:)

Mike

Last edited:
Ponyboy said:
Was that Glen Gary Glen Ross?

BINGO!

You win the steak knives...:D

and if you're lucky, you might get a few of the 'good leads...'

What a demoralizing hopeless movie that was. I remember feeling depressed afterwards. They did, however, make me laugh with their interesting metaphors...

"You've got the memory of a f*&king fly!"

would you guys believe if i were to say i used to be THAT? yah, i was selling honda, toyota, and chrysler product.......was good money for awhile until i realized i didn't have a life out side the lot. anywhoooOOo, here i am!! can i borrow a dollar? :D

I can't believe my father forwarded something to me before I saw it on NSXPrime! :eek: He makes me proud! :) (He's fairly new to computers and the internet.)

Very informative article. I too love to deal with car dealers... but only for so much.

yellowpad said:
would you guys believe if i were to say i used to be THAT? yah, i was selling honda, toyota, and chrysler product.......was good money for awhile until i realized i didn't have a life out side the lot. anywhoooOOo, here i am!! can i borrow a dollar? :D

Calvin... no wonder I felt weird around you. :p :D

???

NoClgDeg said:
A good read but still some of the facts are wrong.

Care to elaborate? The guy was writing from personal experience. Things may be different elsewhere, but unless the author was making it all up, there's not really any "facts" to get wrong.

Care to elaborate? The guy was writing from personal experience. Things may be different elsewhere, but unless the author was making it all up, there's not really any "facts" to get wrong.

Not really. I have in the auto business 8 years and this guy was maybe in it for 2 months. I am not saying that it is all wrong, just certain sections.

COFFEE is for CLOSERS!!!

Glen Gary Glen Ross. The quote goes, "PUT THAT COFFEE DOWN, COFFEE IS FOR CLOSERS!" A. balwin

How about this one:
"I drove a Ferrari 355 Cabriolet, WHAT'S UP? I have a ridiculus house in the south fork, I have every possible toy you can think of and best of all boys, I AM LIQUID!

NoClgDeg said:
Glen Gary Glen Ross. The quote goes, "PUT THAT COFFEE DOWN, COFFEE IS FOR CLOSERS!" A. balwin

How about this one:
"I drove a Ferrari 355 Cabriolet, WHAT'S UP? I have a ridiculus house in the south fork, I have every possible toy you can think of and best of all boys, I AM LIQUID!

Was that from "Boiler Room":confused:

I agree with you about the story, there were some exageration from the get go so I decided to skip chapters per chapter. There are dealers out there that are from the "Old School" and thats were these stories or experiences were based on. Alot has changed in the car business.

I been in the car business for over 10 years and "Ironically" I only hear these horrid stories but yet to see or work for one, ohh well I guess I can say "Im lucky". :D

Interesting story...

i love this movie....eventhought a little over the top, i have been watching this movie to pump me up from time to time when i am down :D

NoClgDeg said:

How about this one:

3 months ago, I was trying for a carrer change from a office kid (actually a so-called manager of my dept.) to a car's salesman hoping for more income......

the night before I went to try my new job at a pretty big size Ford dealership, my cousin sent me the link. I read and horrified myself and got myself all nervous. Then I started to work there, the third day of my work, I walked out, and realized it's indeed a very true story, even the article was written 10 yrs ago...

anyway, I never turned back to be in the car selling business, maybe I'm just bad luck to go to one of those "losser" dealership.

during my two years career as a salesman/manager, i have seen many good things and bad things. yes i work at high pressure dealership which turning people is REQUIRED. there are a few situation that stays in my head til today....for example, i sold a used minivan to this young couple that just recently had a kid. the deal was closed and done at 1AM.......she went home real quick and brought back her father, mother, grandma....the entire clan to hug me, to thank me that they didnt' think they can ever get a car w/ their credit and blah blah. two days later i saw her crying in the waiting area at our service station. she was in tears saying that the car died on her to found out the tranny dropped. i was hurt!! was speechless!! i told her the warranty will take care of it and to cry no more. i gave up my morning and took her and husband to lunch to make them happy again and dropped them off at home after. the next day she came back to pick up her car.....smiling ear to ear!! :D happy as she could be!! with two hugeee guys which none is her husband, walking all mean and serious like the want to beat the shit out of me...these guys has the complexity and characteristic of a bulldog....TO BE CONTINUE :D

I worked at an 8 line new car dealership for about 6 months when I was in college. When people ask me about what it was like all I can say is that if you feel like you're being pressured as a customer, you have absolutely no idea what the sales people are going through. I don't think a month passed where I wasn't threatened with being fired if I didn't close some deal I was working. Anyway, the threat eventually became reality. First and only job I've ever been fired from and the best thing that could have happened to me career-wise.

Nate

Back