Computer Question

Hi everyone,

I know a few of you are quite handy with computers, so here goes:

I need a new laptop or netbook.

I like to buy my stuff from eBay, as I have historically been able to find great values there.

I'd like to buy something that's been "upgraded" - when I say that I mean RAM and possibly hard drive.

So...my question is:

For someone like me, a casual computer user (Word, Excel, Adobe to open .pdf files, internet), am I better off with a Seagate Hybrid HD (500 GB storage) or a pure SSD HD (probably under 128 GB) plus external hard drive?

I am not photoshopping or anything that's too intense.

Right now I'm thinking something in the neighborhood of a Dell 1018 Mini or the Lenovo Thinkpad, with upgrades to 2 GB RAM.

Thanks for the input/opinions.

If you're getting a netbook, 2GB is the minimum, and I don't consider that upgraded.

If you're getting a notebook / laptop, 4GB is the bare minimum. Hardware is cheap.

As for SSD vs traditional hard drive, unless you're a gamer, I think I'd save my money for a traditional larger hard drive. SSDs are awesome, but very very pricey.

I would buy from CostCo / Dell / Best Buy, etc. somewhere with a return policy. I would not use eBay. But it's your money, spend it how you want.

PS - here is a "slick" deal on a laptop: http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/519...gb-ddr3-500gb-hdd-dvdrw-6cell-win-7-home-prem Looks very good if you need a laptop right now.

Last edited:
Get the SSD you won't be disappointed. I have the PCI SSD HD for my desktop and applications start up instantly and boot up time is significantly reduced.I can never go back to standard HD after using the SSD. Also get at least a minimum of 4G of ram.

Hi everyone,

I know a few of you are quite handy with computers, so here goes:

I need a new laptop or netbook.

I like to buy my stuff from eBay, as I have historically been able to find great values there.

I'd like to buy something that's been "upgraded" - when I say that I mean RAM and possibly hard drive.

So...my question is:

For someone like me, a casual computer user (Word, Excel, Adobe to open .pdf files, internet), am I better off with a Seagate Hybrid HD (500 GB storage) or a pure SSD HD (probably under 128 GB) plus external hard drive?

I am not photoshopping or anything that's too intense.

Right now I'm thinking something in the neighborhood of a Dell 1018 Mini or the Lenovo Thinkpad, with upgrades to 2 GB RAM.

Thanks for the input/opinions.

A smaller laptop like the Dell (10") may be uncomfortable to use for more than 45 minutes at a time - have you used one that size before?

If you want something in that size range this Acer is a pretty good deal:

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AS1430Z-...SGG8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306158622&sr=8-1

The processor it has is almost identical to the i3-330UM but it doesn't have Hyperthreading so its branded as a Pentium. For your usage you would see almost no benefit from hyperthreading so its no big deal.

It has HDMI out, 3 USB ports, the newer Intel Sandy Bridge HD graphics so it should handle playing movies fine and should get 4-5 hours battery life, more with an SSD.

It comes with 3GB RAM, 2 + 1. Pull out the 1GB stick and for $25 you can get another 2GB that matches the one currently in it. Then buy this SSD on Newegg for $155

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167049

put that in the notebook, do a fresh install of Win7 and put the 320GB drive that comes with the notebook in an external enclosure.

For $559 total you'll have a great machine that's lightweight, super responsive and you have 320GB of external storage for any large files you may have.

I've bought 3 laptops on eBay and my only advice is to get one that has been remanufactured from the factory (many brands/types available there). They have the latest software loaded, can't be told from new and have a warranty. Of course only buy from reputable, high volume with excellent feedback sellers.

Last edited:
If you don't download a lot or plan to store a ton of data on it, I might go for the SSD. You can always get a portable HD if you do need to store big files.

Just a thought.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I am down to 2 laptops:

1. The Acer 1430, w/ 80 GB SSD + 4 to 8 GB RAM upgrades, per Budweiser's specs.

2. The Dell E4300, which comes with 128 GB SSD + 3 GB RAM. They are selling for $700 on eBay, brand new. They are selling from Dell for $1700. I'm suspicious about that pricing...any thoughts?

I am down to 2 laptops:

2. The Dell E4300, which comes with 128 GB SSD + 3 GB RAM. They are selling for $700 on eBay, brand new. They are selling from Dell for $1700. I'm suspicious about that pricing...any thoughts?

The acer sounds like a pretty good buy. I would probably just stick with the HD included though. Save the $150 bucks.

Dell usually has pretty good pricing on their site, so $700 vs $1700 certainly puts up a red flag for me.

I am down to 2 laptops:

I'm guessing this is the auction you're looking at?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Latitude-E...03785592?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item2310af6578

Honestly, that Dell is a pretty incredible price compared to retail. Processor wise, it has a last gen Core2Duo. Benchmark wise, they're almost identical, 26 points separate the two.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+U5600+@+1.33GHz

The main difference is the Core2Duo is a 2 year old processor vs. the Sandy Bridge being released just a few months ago. The C2D was a high end processor when it was released and the Pentium is low end, with almost identical specs. The C2D also has a 10W TDP vs. 18W for the Pentium however I'd expect power management on the newer processor to be better so I'd say battery would probably lean towards the Pentium.

Graphics I'd give the edge to the Pentium.

http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=50029,37264

I'd guess the reason the Dells are so cheap is because they are on the verge of a Sandy Bridge refresh and the eBay seller got his hands on a bunch at bargain basement prices. That said, the Dell is a purpose built durable business machine. It should have better build quality than the Acer and as you can see, it has a 3 year onsite warranty. You'll also get a more comfortable machine to use with a bigger keyboard, screen and more useful resolution (debatable). SSD size will be bigger (it is most likely a Samsung unit, the Intel is faster) and you get a few more extras like dvd drive.

Warranty, build quality and older tech vs. newer tech, saving some money and a slightly smaller/lighter machine. What's more important?

EDIT: also, this is assuming the eBay auction is legit.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed.

For the record, I got the Dell E4300 for $680 plus shipping.

Yes! I've been seeing a lot of great reviews about it.. I played around with it at Fry's and its amazing. Windows 7 64bit, i5, 4GB RAM, touchscreen, and considered as a tablet that can run photoshop without hesitation. As a PC guy and a busy individual, I can't help but get drawn to this one of a kind (atleast for now) hardware. What's more amazing is with all this power and graphic professional oriented screen, it is just a tad heavier than an ipad. Too bad its sold out. ARGH!

Nim

Update:

I've had the Dell for about a week now, and it is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.

With the SSD this things boots up in about 20 seconds and shuts down in 5.

I was able to buy it off eBay for $650 shipped, and I upgraded to 5 GB for $40.

My brother-in-law was able to activate/install 64-bit Windows after the RAM upgrade.

The frame/chassis is a nice bonus.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

Back