Computer Problem

Do you get a box telling you that it is shutting down with a countdown timer? Congratulations - you have one of the worms that has been making headlines! If you are not getting the box described can you tell me more about the actual shutdowns?

ACtualllllllllllllllllllly it restart itself. Once done, it ask for recovery disk and no window of any warning prior to the shut down....it just blipppppp~ and restart.....

Overheating

Try taking off the cover and blowing it out real good, then turn it on and make sure fans are spinning. Probably blocked fan,dead fan or could be fan on cpu... will it keep running with the cover off?Lyle

okie ...my desk top finallllly died!!!! and won't accept recovery disk either. I am to the point of pulling my baseball bat....any suggestion before i do?:mad:

PoohBEAR said:
okie ...my desk top finallllly died!!!! and won't accept recovery disk either. I am to the point of pulling my baseball bat....any suggestion before i do?:mad:

16lb sledge hammer works much better. Go ahead - make your day!.

Thanks for the encouragement. However, I am going to try formating the whole thing. Can someone write the process of reformating xp for me? pretty please?:)

lemansnsx said:
16lb sledge hammer works much better. Go ahead - make your day!.

PoohBEAR said:
Thanks for the encouragement. However, I am going to try formating the whole thing. Can someone write the process of reformating xp for me? pretty please?:)

Can you access the hard drive at all? Is there stuff you need to recover? If you really want to re-format and start from scratch all you should need is the restore disk but you say that it won't take that? What happens? Do you have access to a full copy of XP? Do you feel like putting any effort into trying to recover the system? Lots of questions but there are several ways to approach this.
Have you tried "last known good configuration"? Don't know about it? Press F8 while booting until you get the start menu and select last known or you could try safe mode.
Re-formatting and re-installing isn't going to help if this is a hardware or heat problem...

I would very much like to recover everything. however, the stupid thing won't even read the recovery disk provided by the manufacturer. i can start it...go to a screen to press "r" but it won't read. i can also go to CMOS setup....and that is about it. my computer is being a bitch today!!!grrrrrr

lemansnsx said:
Can you access the hard drive at all? Is there stuff you need to recover? If you really want to re-format and start from scratch all you should need is the restore disk but you say that it won't take that? What happens? Do you have access to a full copy of XP? Do you feel like putting any effort into trying to recover the system? Lots of questions but there are lots of ways to approach this.

PoohBEAR said:
I would very much like to recover everything. however, the stupid thing won't even read the recovery disk provided by the manufacturer. i can start it...go to a screen to press "r" but it won't read. i can also go to CMOS setup....and that is about it. my computer is being a bitch today!!!grrrrrr

How tech savvy are you? Any friends who are? Do you know how the disk was formatted - FAT32 or NTFS?
Can you use the start menu to get to a command prompt? See my edited post above.

i've used "last config" now it won't let me do that anymore. it won't even run on safe.....and i cant' get to start menu...and cannot access "start"

Problem

Windows XP Users: What to Do If Your Computer Has Been Infected by Sasser
Published: May 4, 2004

Print this page now to get instructions for yourself (if your computer keeps shutting down), or to help a friend.

If you are using Microsoft® Windows® XP or Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) and your computer has been infected by the Sasser worm, you can take these steps to update your software, remove the worm, and help protect against future infections.

Step 1: Disconnect from the Internet
To avoid further problems, disconnect from the Internet:

• Broadband connection users: Locate the cable that runs from your external DSL or cable modem and unplug that cable either from the modem or from the telephone jack.

• Dial-up connection users: Locate the cable that runs from the modem inside your computer to your telephone jack and unplug that cable either from the telephone jack or from your computer.

Top of page
Step 2: Stop the Shutdown Cycle
This worm may cause LSASS.EXE to stop responding, which forces the operating system to shut down after 60 seconds. If your computer starts to shut down, follow these steps to abort any system shutdown that may be in progress.

On the taskbar at the bottom of your screen, click Start, and then click Run.

Type: cmd and then click OK.

At the command prompt, type: shutdown.exe -a and then press ENTER.

Top of page
Step 3: Mitigate the Vulnerability
You can temporarily remove the vulnerability that allows the worm to infect your computer by creating a log file.

Create the log file

On the taskbar at the bottom of your screen, click Start, and then click Run.

Type: cmd and then click OK.

At the command prompt, type: echo dcpromo >%systemroot%\debug\dcpromo.log and then press ENTER.

Make the log file read-only

At the command prompt, type: attrib +R %systemroot%\debug\dcpromo.log and then press ENTER.

Top of page
Step 4: Improve System Performance
If your computer is acting sluggish or if the Internet connection is slow, the worm may be flooding your local network connection. This may make it impossible for you to download and install the required software update. To improve system performance:

Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then click Task Manager.

For each of the following tasks that may be listed, click the task to select it, and then click the End Task button to end it.

• Any task ending with _up.exe (for example, 12345_up.exe).

• Any task starting with avserve (for example, avserve.exe).

• Any task starting with avserve2 (for example, avserve2.exe).

• Any task starting with skynetave (for example, skynetave.exe).

• hkey.exe

• msiwin84.exe

• wmiprvsw.exe
Note Do not end the wmiprvse.exe task; it is a legitimate system task.

Top of page
Step 5: Enable a Firewall
A firewall is a piece of software or hardware that creates a protective barrier between your computer and the Internet. Microsoft does not manufacture stand-alone software firewalls. The following resources provide more information about some firewall options.

On the taskbar at the bottom of your screen, click Start, and then click Control Panel.

Click the Network and Internet Connections category.
(If the Network and Internet Connections is not visible, click Switch to Category View under Control Panel on the left side of the Control Panel window.)

Click Network Connections.

Right-click the Dial-up, LAN, or High-Speed Internet connection that you use to connect to the Internet, and then click Properties from the shortcut menu.

On the Advanced tab, under Internet Connection Firewall, select Protect my computer and network, and then click OK. The Windows XP firewall is now enabled.

Top of page
Step 6: Reconnect to the Internet
Plug the cable (referred to in Step 1) back into your computer, telephone jack, or modem.

Top of page
Step 7: Install the Required Update
To help protect your computer against this worm in the future, you must download and install security update 835732, which was released with Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-011. To download security update 835732, go to http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkID=526386

Top of page
Step 8: Check For and Remove Sasser
After you have installed the update and restarted your computer, go to the Web page "What You Should Know About the Sasser Worm and Its Variants" at http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.mspx. Use the Sasser Worm Removal Tool to search your hard disk for and remove Sasser.A, Sasser.B, Sasser.C, Sasser.D, Sasser.E, and Sasser.F.

Top of page
About Internet Connection Firewall
The Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall can block useful tasks such as sharing files or printers through a network, transferring files in applications, or hosting multiplayer games. Nonetheless, Microsoft recommends that you use a firewall to help protect your computer.

If you turn on the Internet Connection Firewall and find that you can't perform some tasks you want to, read "How to Open Ports in the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall" at http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/ports.asp.

If you have more than one computer, want more technical information, or want to learn more about firewalls, read "Frequently Asked Questions About Firewalls" at http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/firewall.asp.

boot from a dos boot disk, move all your important files to another partition (other than the C drive) then format the c drive only. There are various software packages that will allow you to boot from cd and do the same thing. Winternals advanced systems tools is what I usually use. PM me if you need some help.

Rob

just came back from the computer store....and it can't be fix. they said the cd rom died.....and tested cd writer....and says it died too.....tested my hard drive and claims nothing happens. they declared it DEAD!!!! what a punk!!!!

gents thanks for your help...now everything is lost!!!!

First off, to whoever posted the stuff about Sasser - from Pooh's description that is not what he has. Sasser gives a very clear message about the shutdown.
Second, to the post about booting from a DOS disk - sorry, that won't let him access anything if his drive is formatted as NTFS - DOS don't know squat about NTFS. There are tools that will let him access it and either fix it or move stuff off it - that's why I asked Pooh how tech savvy he is.
PoohBEAR - did the shop that you took it to seem to know what they were doing? A good many of them don't - I'm always amazed that these shops survive when all they want is break/fix work and not actually figure anything out! Don't give up on your drive just yet - but let me know how far you want to go in fixing it vs. buying a new system - and I don't mean monetarily far - just how much effort do you want to put in?

Good news for me...a buddy of mine that is a CTO will be coming over in a couple of hours to assist. The guy at the computer center didn't do very much except puting in a few start up disks and declared dead. This particular place is MICROCENTER where i bought the computer from. Anywhoo, a friend says he can jump start it....and I can't wait for his arrival. I guess I owe him dinner & a few cans of beer when done...:D

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for paying close attention to this particular thread.......this is why I love prime and everyone associating with it.

lemansnsx said:
First off, to whoever posted the stuff about Sasser - from Pooh's description that is not what he has. Sasser gives a very clear message about the shutdown.
Second, to the post about booting from a DOS disk - sorry, that won't let him access anything if his drive is formatted as NTFS - DOS don't know squat about NTFS. There are tools that will let him access it and either fix it or move stuff off it - that's why I asked Pooh how tech savvy he is.
PoohBEAR - did the shop that you took it to seem to know what they were doing? A good many of them don't - I'm always amazed that these shops survive when all they want is break/fix work and not actually figure anything out! Don't give up on your drive just yet - but let me know how far you want to go in fixing it vs. buying a new system - and I don't mean monetarily far - just how much effort do you want to put in?

maybe remove the hard drive ..and install it in another computer as a "D" drive or whatever letter it is with alot of storage space left...to test if the hard drive is still good...

if hard drive is still good...
drag and drop your files onto the other computer's hard drive ..
then reformat your hard drive with other computer..if that is successful and you can start other comp from the other computer...it may be your motherboard...

Cal,

there are lots of ways and many parts can cause the problems that you described. What I've seen in the past are usually hardware incompatibilities or overheating as someone suggested.

a computer does not just 'die', and for someone to diagnose that the hardrive, cdrom ...etc died, simply because they can't get to read anything from it, it's only because they're being lazy(I won't comment on their abilities), and the easier way is for you the customer to buy another new computer.

Hope your buddy can help you out. Check for faulty power supply, and it could just be a malfunctioning CDrom that's causing hardware issues with your system, so replace the cdrom in that case.

PoohBEAR said:
Good news for me...a buddy of mine that is a CTO will be coming over in a couple of hours to assist. The guy at the computer center didn't do very much except puting in a few start up disks and declared dead. This particular place is MICROCENTER where i bought the computer from. Anywhoo, a friend says he can jump start it....and I can't wait for his arrival. I guess I owe him dinner & a few cans of beer when done...:D

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for paying close attention to this particular thread.......this is why I love prime and everyone associating with it.

Second, to the post about booting from a DOS disk - sorry, that won't let him access anything if his drive is formatted as NTFS

You can format a DOS disk to access a NTFS drive. I just did it a few days ago. There is a utility on Win 2k Pro (not sure about XP) which is called Makeboot.exe that will do this.

NSX-Stalker

NSX-Stalker said:
You can format a DOS disk to access a NTFS drive. I just did it a few days ago. There is a utility on Win 2k Pro (not sure about XP) which is called Makeboot.exe that will do this.

NSX-Stalker

That's true - but that is not the same thing as "boot from a dos disk". Also, while there are several ways to boot from floppy and make NTFS files readable this does nothing for allowing him to move them to another drive across a network. For jobs like that I use Knoppix, Bart's PE, or one of several other disks in my arsenal. If anyone is interested in making a floppy that can read NTFS you can get the image here.

From what i'm reading, this isn't a virus/worm, but more specifically hardware.

From what you've told me, my 1st educated guess would be a bad Power Supply Unit (or PSU if you want to sound like a computer guru ;) ).

With all respect <B>SilverOne</B>, usually you're right but i have seen computers just "die" and it's usually been PSU related (or a lighting-strike/power surge which wiped out the PSU+components). A PSU failure fits the description of reboots then sudden or critically-intermittent failure. Though 95% of the time you're right-- people are lazy in testing. So you're right and wrong; but i still think you and Paul have the sexiest silver NSX's on prime... so we're still friends, right? :D

Steps to what i'd do:
1) determine if the HDD still functions yourself; not a computer shop. Take out the HDD and try it in another system.
2) if it works, run a virus scan on the entire disk just to be sure it's not a virus/worm. if it works, copy all your essential files off as a backup or burn to CD-R.
3) if it doesn't work, and you're certain everything is plugged in properly (ie. the drive should spin up, the BIOS should detect the HDD) then your drive might well be stuff. If that's the case... bummer. :(
4) If the HDD works in another system, go back to your computer and try to isolate what is causing the problem. This is all a bit extreme, but just have a minimal setup -- 1 HDD, video card, 1 stick of RAM -- the absolute basics.

Actually just try steps 1 thru 3, and then we'll take things from there.

EDIT: Using a DOS disk to access NTFS files is stupid. I've tried. You end up losing all the long filenames, and it's a laborous task. It's so much easier and quicker to put a HDD in another working Win2K/XP system. Don't even bother with the DOS approach unless you're a leet hacker trying to copy the SAM database so you can crack it. It's a waste of time.

Another thought; what brand of Motherboard do you have? The problem you've described could be due to cheap compenents used by some Taiwanese manufactures. MSI is being sued for this presently and A-BIT has a history (i had an ABIT board with dodged capacitors. i won't be buying ABIT again) Just more suggestions.

Can you provide us with more details on your hardware just in case it's not a software-issue?

NeoNSX said:

EDIT: Using a DOS disk to access NTFS files is stupid. I've tried. You end up losing all the long filenames, and it's a laborous task. It's so much easier and quicker to put a HDD in another working Win2K/XP system. Don't even bother with the DOS approach unless you're a leet hacker trying to copy the SAM database so you can crack it. It's a waste of time.

Bzzzzt! Wrong answer. NTFS Reader for DOS supports long file names. Having said that I personally would never bother with this method as there are much better ways. As for cracking the SAM - this is a trivial matter using any of several methods.

The bulged/leaking capacitors is a pretty good guess, as is a wonky power supply.

NeoNSX said:
From what i'm reading, this isn't a virus/worm, but more specifically hardware.

My hard drive crashed!!!!! however, I am back online now:D. Thanks to everyone....and yes, my faithful helper on getting my computer in top shape again.:cool:

Back