Computer Help - Reverse KVM Switching

I need help getting a KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) accessory to work. Background - I want to control one computer from two workstations (yes, one workstation is within 6 feet of my NSX). I bought a Belkin product (F1D201 Reverse KVM Switch) that allows this. It didn't work, so I bought another. When it did not work I realized the problem was my computer, a Dell running Windows XP. The symptons are both keyboards and mice are dead, non-functional, when I power up; and both monitors display the video output of the computer. If the switch was working correctly either keyboard/mouse would take control of the computer when you touched it; and the associated monitor would light up while the other monitor (at the other station) remained dark.

BTW Belkin's support has been abysmal, the only idea they came up with was to ensure the unit was plugged in. Sheesh.

How far away are each KB/Mouse? There is a length limit to these cables. Provide some more info and i'll try to help you out.

Symptoms?

soichiro,

We use the Belkin Omniview switches here at my work (although they are the 8 and 16 port models).

Funny that you would mention that they asked you to make sure that the unit was plugged in because the ones that I have seen work with or without the adaptor plug..

I don't know if your model has this feature but I would look for dip switches.. If yours has them, double check that they are set correctly as a stand alone switch. I believe that they are made to be daisy chained and if your switches are set for it, there can be all sorts of problems.

If that doesn't work, there should be a reset switch. I would try that.. If your switch has a bank and port setting, you should be able to push both buttons simultaneously to reset the switch as well.

We have also experienced the same problem as you described with all Windows based computers.. usually if you toggle back from one machine to the other using the keyboard short cut, the problem will go away..

I know that this is not a fix but depending on how often you use it, it should be enough to help you get by..

I personally give these units a thumbs down.. they're great for Linux systems but choke with all the Windows O/Ss.

Thanks for the help so far. JOEPRIMO, I intend to have the keyboards about 35 feet apart, BUT I'm testing the unit with the keyboards sitting next to each other. In other words the keyboards and mice are plugged directly into the Reverse KVM switch, I have not put in the 50 foot extension cables until I am sure it is working correctly.

I'm about to dump this solution and simply buy a VGA splitter (for the monitors) and let the two mice/keyboards hang off the same computer, both "live" all the time. Not ideal, but it will suit my needs.

Thanks guys. gm

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Can you just set up an old computer in the garage to act as a terminal and run VNC or XP Remote Desktop on your office PC and connect to it / control it that way?

50 foot extension cables sounds like trouble regardless of whether you can get some sort of switch or splitter working. You are definitely pushing the envelope. You'd need very good cables and probably need to run a low resolution and refresh rate. At best.

Back