Computer file retrieval question

Not computer savvy here so need your help.

1) If you do work on the hard drive and then save the file on a floppy - whithout first saving it to the hard drive - does the hard drive still keep a memory of the file or work done? If so can this be retreived in readable format?

2) If you delete the history or the temp files from accessing the Internet, does the hard drive still keep a memory of those files? Are they retreivable?

I ask this because we are trying to figure how to safely discard and/or re-use several hard drives from floating old computers.

TIA

1) Depends on the software that you are using and where it writes temp files. A program like Word would normally write a temp file to the same folder where the original file is located. But where different softwares write temporary files is up to the software. If it is written somewhere and it is deleted, it can most of the time be retrieved.

2) As for retrieving files, most files can be retrieved if they've recently been deleted. It's dependent on a number of factors but there are forensics methods that I've seen retrieve files even after a hard drive was reloaded with a Ghost image! If you just delete a file, without getting too technical, it's pretty easy to recover it. If you delete a file and after a period of several weeks where you write, delete, rewrite a bunch of files to a disk, your chances are slimmer of recovery. Even regular formatting isn't safe...

There are several programs you can find that do more secure deletion/formatting of files and disks. You can try going to this link to get an idea of what's out there.

Hrant said:
Not computer savvy here so need your help.

1) If you do work on the hard drive and then save the file on a floppy - whithout first saving it to the hard drive - does the hard drive still keep a memory of the file or work done? If so can this be retreived in readable format?

2) If you delete the history or the temp files from accessing the Internet, does the hard drive still keep a memory of those files? Are they retreivable?

I ask this because we are trying to figure how to safely discard and/or re-use several hard drives from floating old computers.

TIA

1) Yes - in some form or another - and especially if we're talking about things like Word docs or similar.
2) Anything deleted is recoverable to a certain extent.

A file that is deleted is not "erased" or removed in any way. When you delete the file (confining discussion to Windows OS) only the first character of the file name is removed - the file itself is still there - but the file system "knows" that it can now use that space and the file can be overwritten by new data.
Files that are overwritten can still be recovered but usually only as fragments.
Secure deletion of files usually involves writing over the space multiple times with random characters or ones and zeros. Dept of Defense standards mandate overwriting the entire drive 7 times in this manner. Even then electron microscopes can still detect fragments from the magnetic structure - but in the real world this is impractical to say the least. Unless you are running from 3-letter agencies multiple overwrites are sufficient.
Hard drives should basically be destroyed if the machines are passing outside your company - they are cheap enough to replace.
If being handed over to other employees or moved within the company there are utility programs that will securely erase the drives. Post again or PM if you want more info.

Thanks for the replies.

I gather that for non computer savvy people, working on a floppy is not sufficient to avoid the hard drive keep an imprint of the work done - mostly Word and perhaps Excel and small PowerPoint files, and the hard drive will not be "erased" unless more dramatic steps are taken.

Does defrag help any or is it a completely separate function?

Hrant said:
Does defrag help any or is it a completely separate function?

Help as far as making it less likely that stuff can be recovered? I suppose in a very marginal manner in that it increases the chance of fragments of files being overwritten as files are moved to contiguous sectors of the drive.

If the files are important enough that you have the slightest concern of them being viewed or recovered or whatever then destroy the drive or take steps to erase it beyond any possibility of recovery by the means available to anyone not operating with government-sized budgets.

BTW, when I say destroy a drive - I mean really physically destroying it - disassembling the drive - removing the platters -grinding the platters to dust. Or, for a bit more fun - smash the drive to bits with a 16lb sledge hammer. Another common method is to use a nail gun on the drive.

As for working only on a floppy - not in Windows! If you were to boot an operating system like Knoppix (Linux) from a CD - and do your work in RAM and then save to a floppy - then, yes, that's reasonably secure. Windows? Forget it.

There are great programs out there to recover lost files.
I lost 80 gig on a 100 gig harddrive and recovered 60 gig of it.
To get rid of a drive, just drive some nails through it like a previous post.
Trev

Back