Comptech Headers

When I bought my car, I didn't know exactly what kinds of mods were done (was just told suspension and headers). I was getting an oil change today and the tech told me that there were Comptech Headers and the exhaust was stock. Still did not find out what kind of suspension I have though.

My car feels quite fast, although I haven't really driven too many other NSXs for a comparo. So I have a couple questions:

1) How much additional HP do the CT Headers provide?

2) My exhaust starts screaming at 4500RPMs and sounds good as well as loud. Is this standard for a stock exhaust or do you think it could be aftermarket? I'm assuming it is stock based on what the tech said, but it sounds loud to me so I'm still uncertain.

When I bought my car, I didn't know exactly what kinds of mods were done (was just told suspension and headers). I was getting an oil change today and the tech told me that there were Comptech Headers and the exhaust was stock. Still did not find out what kind of suspension I have though.

My car feels quite fast, although I haven't really driven too many other NSXs for a comparo. So I have a couple questions:

2) My exhaust starts screaming at 4500RPMs and sounds good as well as loud. Is this standard for a stock exhaust or do you think it could be aftermarket? I'm assuming it is stock based on what the tech said, but it sounds loud to me so I'm still uncertain.

A friend of mine in town has a completely stock 97 nsx and his actually sounds rather quiet compared to mine. I have comptech headers/exhaust and akimoto intake. I know when going under bridges at WOT my car sounds like a damn F1 car. :biggrin: You can really hear it when you hit Vtec. Sounds like an afterburner kickin in

I think I must be hearing the VTEC kicking in @ 4500ish RPMS. Do headers have an effect on sound because it sounds pretty loud?

Did the seller give you the stock headers as well when you bought the car?

Comptec makes some great parts ~ I have their header/exhaust on my CTSC s2000 :)

I'm not sure what adding a header and still using the stock exhaust would achieve sound or power gain since you still have the restrictive end piece. Only way to tell is to find a fully stock car and fire them both up next to each other.

I've been shopping for a Fuji header or maybe Comptech to finish off my exhaust setup from engine back.....

rk

I bought it through a dealer and they didn't give me anything else, so I don't have the stock piece. I had the local Acura dealer take a look at the last oil change and they said the exhaust was stock for whatever that's worth. The car feels like it has some extra kick, but I can't really say as I haven't driven many others. And I don't know of any other Primers in my area (Rochester NY)

Did the seller give you the stock headers as well when you bought the car?

Comptec makes some great parts ~ I have their header/exhaust on my CTSC s2000 :)

I'm not sure what adding a header and still using the stock exhaust would achieve sound or power gain since you still have the restrictive end piece. Only way to tell is to find a fully stock car and fire them both up next to each other.

I've been shopping for a Fuji header or maybe Comptech to finish off my exhaust setup from engine back.....

rk

CT headers are a popular and reliable choice and can add up to 10 hp on an NA2 but most likely less than that. The stock NA2 headers are quite free-flowing.

The exhaust might be stock but a pic might help us confirm that. Most AM exhausts have larger diameter tips than the OEM exhaust so you might be able to compare based on a photo of the rear of an 02+ OEM-exhaust NSX.

Hey Guys,

After reading all the entries here about Comptech headers on later model 3.2s; what would the effect be on putting the less restrictive exhaust headers off a late model on a pre 97? Can you do that or would you go to another system like Comptech - since they are out of business- on the early guys.

Question is really; if one was to buy say a 93 with 272 hp, I think that's right on the hp, would a set of headers and an exhaust system and cold air intake boost the power, considering the less weight of the coupe top, to about 3.2 power? Or feel???

Anyone know? I'm sure others have done this on the site to their older models. Reason I'm asking is that there are some really nice older ones out there with low miles. Which makes me a little worried that the car say with 17k miles on it hasn't been driven enough to keep it running right. No car does well sitting as a garrage queen - some won't touch them that old with few miles because they haven't been driven. So does it pay to:

1. Buy an older car, say a 93 with 18k miles in perfect shape over another later 3.2 say with 60k miles in good shape. Both say being equal in maintenance - which they usually aren't. The 93 has been kept immaculately and has had proper maint. as in TB/WP and more.

2. Can you buy an older one and mod the exhaust and intake and achieve levels of "seat of the pants" power that compares favorably with the 97+ models>????

Thanks guys,
Tim

I think with headers and an exhaust you would be close to a 97+. What you would be missing though is the six speed tranny. One of the biggest gripes on the NA1's is that second gear is too tall, its not horrible but it does drop you out of VTEC. Not sure why the engineers would of set it up that way.

Every once in a while you can find a set of used headers on the market. You could do the NA2 headers many have but if I am going to the expense of getting headers put on I want a nice set of headers.

Check out science of speed for some comparrisons on headers, have some quality ones for sale, Cantrell, Taitec

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...ducts/NSX/Cantrell_Concepts/Advanced_Headers/

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...oducts/NSX/TAITEC/exhaust_headers/default.asp

Alternatively Top speed make copies of the DC headers although the 91-94 versions have the flex joint which on the original DC headers was prome to crack. So you could get the later version 94-04 with the ball joint and get adaptors from science of speed, total cost would be around $900 or so. I don't believe they flow as well as the above but then again that may be negligible by the seat of the pants.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110205

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...s/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/factory_header_adaptors/

hth,

Carl

Hey Guys,

After reading all the entries here about Comptech headers on later model 3.2s; what would the effect be on putting the less restrictive exhaust headers off a late model on a pre 97? Can you do that or would you go to another system like Comptech - since they are out of business- on the early guys.

Question is really; if one was to buy say a 93 with 272 hp, I think that's right on the hp, would a set of headers and an exhaust system and cold air intake boost the power, considering the less weight of the coupe top, to about 3.2 power? Or feel???

Anyone know? I'm sure others have done this on the site to their older models. Reason I'm asking is that there are some really nice older ones out there with low miles. Which makes me a little worried that the car say with 17k miles on it hasn't been driven enough to keep it running right. No car does well sitting as a garrage queen - some won't touch them that old with few miles because they haven't been driven. So does it pay to:

1. Buy an older car, say a 93 with 18k miles in perfect shape over another later 3.2 say with 60k miles in good shape. Both say being equal in maintenance - which they usually aren't. The 93 has been kept immaculately and has had proper maint. as in TB/WP and more.

2. Can you buy an older one and mod the exhaust and intake and achieve levels of "seat of the pants" power that compares favorably with the 97+ models>????

Thanks guys,
Tim

Yes, the headers and exhaust mods on an NA1 are going to get you more power than those same mods on an NA2. Much of the power boost in the NA2 comes from these redesigned headers--not the extra .2 L of motor.

All things being equal a NA1 coupe with headers and exhaust is probably going to be just as quick as a bone-stock NA2 T. Both should be somewhere around 255 WHP and while the coupe is lighter the gearing on the NA2 is shorter resulting in pretty equal performance if I had to guess.

Any decent AM headers are going to be fine. You could go with stock NA2 but you're going to need adapters and some work to get them to fit and a good set of AM headers should still flow slightly better than the stock set.

The lowest-cost option I'd recommend would be the DC Sports headers with the flex-joint or anything else SOS or Dali sells.

FYI--a cold air intake will only hurt performance. Stick with the stock airbox and filter. :wink:

You guys will be glad to know that your advice on air intake systems was verified by Larry Bastanza. He said don't waist your money. He said that a good set of headers and exhaust should get you 20 hp. That would put you right at hp for the 3.2.

I've heard of conversions to the 6 speed tranny for the early NSX1s. Anybody think that's worth it?

Do you think cars that are 16 years old with on 18k miles are good investments??? I'm concerned by the lack of use. Cars are meant to be driven and obviously this one hasn't been. That makes me wonder! Would you expect to have a lot of maintenance from lack of use???

Thanks guys,
Tim
Atlanta

You guys will be glad to know that your advice on air intake systems was verified by Larry Bastanza. He said don't waist your money. He said that a good set of headers and exhaust should get you 20 hp. That would put you right at hp for the 3.2.

I've heard of conversions to the 6 speed tranny for the early NSX1s. Anybody think that's worth it?

Do you think cars that are 16 years old with on 18k miles are good investments??? I'm concerned by the lack of use. Cars are meant to be driven and obviously this one hasn't been. That makes me wonder! Would you expect to have a lot of maintenance from lack of use???

Thanks guys,
Tim
Atlanta

I would just make sure it's up to date on the scheduled maintenance based on years. Other than that I wouldn't worry about it too much. I also think it depends on if you are getting a good deal on the early model vs later.

I wouldn't bother with the 6-spd conversion or even think about it until after you have driven your car for a while. You could also just change the final drive I believe several people have done that, would be cheaper. Anyway as I said drive it first then decide. A big factor for me deciding on an NA1 was that I didn't want a targa top. That might be something else to think about.

Thanks guys,
Tim
Atlanta

Almost no car is a good investment so I think the more accurate question is, "Is it a good value?" and my answer is usually no.

See here for why I think so.

Last edited:
My 91 has Comptech headers and an aftermarket exhaust (Anytime Racing), which I've been told together were good for around an extra 20 hp. Since I didn't own the car prior to the installation, I can't tell you what it feels like compared to stock. But I can tell you it sounds damn good.

When I was looking for an NSX, I had my heart set on a Targa and wanted nothing but a 6 speed. Got a 91 and couldn't be happier. And oddly enough, I barely use 4th and very rarely go into 5th on the highway. I just about shift out of 3rd around 80 and it's happy cruising all day long in 3rd at 75. Yeah, kills my gas mileage, but I love the sound of the engine whining behind my head.

In my RSX, I rarely use 6th and will only shift into it if I want to quiet down the noise in the cabin. So much for wanting a car with a 6 speed.

OK, here is a pic I have of the rear. Do you guys think this is a stock exhaust? It's all I have at the moment, I can try to get closer ups and post them if this is inconclusive.

Attachments

• eesa nsx 063.jpg
    eesa nsx 063.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 214
OK, here is a pic I have of the rear. Do you guys think this is a stock exhaust? It's all I have at the moment, I can try to get closer ups and post them if this is inconclusive.

Looks like comptech exhaust. My tips has comptech USA written on it.

No, the rolled tips appear, to me, to be a Comptech exhaust, not OEM.

2. Can you buy an older one and mod the exhaust and intake and achieve levels of "seat of the pants" power that compares favorably with the 97+ mo

The CT header/exhaust combo does add real "seat-of-the-pants" results on an NA1. The NA1 exhaust manifold is very restrictive.

One of the biggest gripes on the NA1's is that second gear is too tall, its not horrible but it does drop you out of VTEC. Not sure why the engineers would of set it up that way.

A lot of pressure is put on the engineers to give the car a godd 0-60 mph time. The tall 2nd gear of the early 5-speed keeps the car in second gear to help achieve this. The JDM spec cars ahave a different 2nd gear. T

The short gears ameliorate the drop out of VTEC.

All things being equal a NA1 coupe with headers and exhaust is probably going to be just as quick as a bone-stock NA2 T. Both should be somewhere around 255 WHP and while the coupe is lighter the gearing on the NA2 is shorter resulting in pretty equal performance if I had to guess.

FYI--a cold air intake will only hurt performance. Stick with the stock airbox and filter. :wink:

My CT headers/exhaust has yeilded me 271 RWHP.

Yes, the OEM intake has proven to be about the best intake. All others seem to be a waste of money dollar-for-dollar.

Almost no car is a good investment so I think the more accurate question is, "Is it a good value?" and my answer is usually no.

Agreed.

Here are some close-ups of the exhaust tips, they may help deduce. Just snapped them with my Blackberry.

Attachments

• ex1.jpg
    ex1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 112
  • ex2.jpg
    ex2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 99
  • ex3.jpg
    ex3.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 99
  • ex4.jpg
    ex4.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 108
A lot of pressure is put on the engineers to give the car a godd 0-60 mph time. The tall 2nd gear of the early 5-speed keeps the car in second gear to help achieve this. The JDM spec cars ahave a different 2nd gear. T

The short gears ameliorate the drop out of VTEC.
I'm not following this explanation. Every gearing offered (including JDM, and with any ring+pinion) will exceed 60 mph before redline in second gear.

I'd expect the taller US second gear to hurt 0-60 time, not improve it.

Last edited:
I'm not following this explanation. Every gearing offered (including JDM, and with any ring+pinion) will exceed 60 mph before redline in second gear.

Now that you've challenged me and I have time to rethink it, the Japanese engineers, from what I recall, thought that American drivers would rather not shift down lower than second for their traffic/driving style. So they made second gear really really long.

I'll try to look it up. It may be in the silver or black book.

I agree with this, they could of made second redline nearer to 60 mph not the current 83 or so it is now, based on gearing and final drive and achieve a faster 0-60.

Back