Complete Repaint or Partial Repaint?

My body shop replaced the rear bumper cover, passenger quarter, upgraded the valance to the 02 and upgraded the side skirts and door panels to 02. The color match is excellent and the surrounding panels haven't even been blended yet. My car is a red 95T and is always garaged so the original paint is also in great condition (absent a few rock chips as usual on the front). In the final paint process, my shop has asked me if I want to just have the whole car repainted for a perfect match. Assuming that the extra cost is between $2K and $3K to take care of the balance of the car, what are your thoughts out there? I am pretty anal about the color match but I hesitate in general to paint over a factory finish that doesn't really "need" to be repainted (e.g. no scraches, dents and the like). Wh:biggrin:at to do?

Well eventually your oem paint will fade sooner than your new paint.....but if your oem paint still looks like its from the factory and matches perfect with your new paint then leave it....use that 2-3k on something else for the car.

Don't forget the 2002 trunk lip spoiler.....I think it adds a nice touch to the rear and its functional.

Honestly, if the your car is regularly garaged and is a weekend driver with immaculate paint like how you said, don't mess with it.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong with you repaint an entire car, especially with prep work and the quality of the materials used. Moreover, most refinishing jobs are nowhere as durable as OEM paints since OEM and refinishing use different processes.

Front bumpers can be easily repainted at a low cost if the rock chips bug you.

Last edited:
Honestly, if the your car is regularly garaged and is a weekend driver with immaculate paint like how you said, don't mess with it.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong with you repaint an entire car, especially with prep work and the quality of the materials used. Moreover, most refinishing jobs are nowhere as durable as OEM paints since OEM and refinishing use different processes.

Front bumpers can be easily repainted at a low cost if the rock chips bug you.

I agree that if you are satisfied with the paint match not to mess with the rest as that can lead to overspray and overlap of paint where they mask it which will lead to questions about the condition of the car.

Back