comments on my first XLR sighting

My local dealer recieved thier first cadi XLR roadster.The top was up and I could'nt get in it but it certainly catches the eye.Because the green-house with top up is short ala prowler or S2000 or audi coupe,the car looks exciting and smaller than it is.Detailing and styling are nice,the edge theme is questionable though.Definately Cadi.Nice to see GM taking some risks to compete with Mercedes.

one of the perks of living in the detroit area is that you get to see a lot of cars on the road before they go into production. i've seen the cadi many times with the top up and down. i think the "edge" design is genius and very original unlike the hsc. i've also seen the new ford gt crusing around town. the exhaust is extremely loud... but awesome.

Sticker was,~76k.,and it was a for sale car.

You guys really like the Art & Science look?

Im not criticizing just curious. To me the whole Art & Science theme looks like origami or a rough clay mold of a design that was never completed.

Am I alone on this?

I guess they are OK. Back in June at Gateway International Raceway during a HPE with the local BMW folks they had at least a dozen of them lined up for the press plus some competitor's cars.

tn_119_1942_JPG.jpg

tn_119_1941_JPG.jpg

Ironically - I found the design to be bland instead of the usual hodgepodge of design features and styling queues. The performance is midpack and the fit and finish where below the competition - but the materials were slightly above. For folks looking for a domestic hardtop convertible - this is your ticket. For almost 1.5x the price of a standard C5 - it is tough to justify the lack of HP and the way undersized tires IMO.

It's not as beautiful as an SL500 Benz but I like it and you have to give Cadillac credit for developing a unique look for the whole product line. Although I haven't seen the XLR in person, the CTS looks waaay better in person than in photos, quite striking. Somehow the angles just don't come alive in photographs. I'm guessing the same with the XLR.

Hey its a Cadillac...pay 76k today and next year it will be worth 30k. There was a XLR at the local auto show here in Syracuse NY. I was not that impressed with it. IMO I would rather spend my 76k on a used SL or CL.

gheba_nsx said:
Isn't this a Mercedes SLK with a "new" body built in Germany by Karmann?

No, you are probably referring to Chrysler Crossfire. That is based on the SLK.

y443315a.jpg

My point was not based on build quality or driveability,but only on styling.The car did strike me as standing out,and was exciting to look at.Now how long that lasts is the true test of a design.Does anyone have any experience with gm's night vision or with the hud.?

HUD in GM Cars

docjohn said:
My point was not based on build quality or driveability,but only on styling.The car did strike me as standing out,and was exciting to look at.Now how long that lasts is the true test of a design.Does anyone have any experience with gm's night vision or with the hud.?

I had the HUD in my 2000 C5 Convertible, it was fantastic, you never had to look down, the tach and speedometer, fuel level, were all in front of you, floating above the left headlamp. Once you got used to it, it was indespensable. I really miss it, but wouldn't swap my NSX for it:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

blknsxnoc said:
You guys really like the Art & Science look?

Im not criticizing just curious. To me the whole Art & Science theme looks like origami or a rough clay mold of a design that was never completed.

Am I alone on this?

I agree. I don't remember which magazine it was but one of them described it as "cinder block styling" and I think that sums it up pretty well. I don't like the look of any of the new Cadillacs. I also have memories of a friend buying a 2 year old $50-$60k Allante for $13k. I think they should have named it the Cadillac "Enron"

SCS2k said:
I agree. I don't remember which magazine it was but one of them described it as "cinder block styling" and I think that sums it up pretty well. I don't like the look of any of the new Cadillacs. I also have memories of a friend buying a 2 year old $50-$60k Allante for $13k. I think they should have named it the Cadillac "Enron"

My point exactly. When I bought my NSX I traded in a 2000 STS toward the purchase. The STS is now worth maybe 20k and my NSX is still worth about what I paid for it. This was a good trade in my book. A older NSX is like money in the bank almost.

Back