Combination of best sounding NSX

rx7

Registered Member
Hi, Im planning to buy a NA1 NSX, I do not worry too much about performance since NSX is already fast in its stock form. I want to just make it sound super nice!
What upgrade should I do to make it sound nice? Please specify the detailed parts. Thanks:smile:

What does super nice mean? Everybody has their own sound they want and love. I want something quite thats why I stay stock. I would like a little lower sounding if possible but that seems hard to make happen.

I watched a few clips on youtube with different exhaust, maybe it is the quality of videos, they all sound pretty much the same, a high-pitched sound
when accelerating hard. I do not know how they sound in person.:confused:

I've never heard an NSX in person that sounded better than mine with the AP-X exhaust... Perfect blend of high pitch scream and livable volume on the highway. None of the horrible rasp of a GT-One / Bel Canto etc. Completely changed the character of my NSX imho. When I put my old HKS Exhaust back on the car before I sold it, the car just felt a bit less exciting, even though it wasn't any less powerful.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oYoTM0jd9_A?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oYoTM0jd9_A?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Now that my NSX will be gone on Tuesday, my AP-X exhaust just so happens to be up for sale as well. :D

Thanks guys,
I like that sound of smooth acceleration of NA cars, especially NSX.
(I mean when you step on gas, it feels like the engine can rev up endlessly,
and that raw feeling and sound pitch getting higher and higher...)

do you think headers and intake make a big difference in sound? do they open up the engine sound or they interfere with it. Because I just want a pure engine sound.
:smile:

Hi, Im planning to buy a NA1 NSX, I do not worry too much about performance since NSX is already fast in its stock form. I want to just make it sound super nice!
What upgrade should I do to make it sound nice? Please specify the detailed parts. Thanks:smile:
It's not that fast in todays standards.

It's not that fast in todays standards.

He is right not very fast for today's standard, but still puts a big cheesy grin on my face when I drive it.

I highly recommend the pride exhaust. Sounds great and Great customer service. I just got an Xmas card from pride! What a guy.

I do like the angus exhaust but personally I think it is not worth 2x the cost of the pride.

I highly recommend the pride exhaust. Sounds great and Great customer service. I just got an Xmas card from pride! What a guy.

I do like the angus exhaust but personally I think it is not worth 2x the cost of the pride.

I checked the pride exhaust out, it has so many bends, what is it for?

Also, guys, what about the intake and headers, do they make a big difference?

Thanks

I checked the pride exhaust out, it has so many bends, what is it for?

Also, guys, what about the intake and headers, do they make a big difference?

Thanks

They are there for the sound -- which is great.

with I/H/E you should get around 25HP. Headers make the biggest difference on earlier cars. (3.0)

This is 100% purely subjective, here are my thoughts and personal experience:

1. Comptech: decent "growl" a bit more aggressive then stock, but barely. I sold mine because it was just too mild for my tastes.

2. Taitec GTLW:
Nice deep sounding exhaust, however the cabin "drone" during cruising speeds was just too annoying IMO. I sold it because of this.

3. GTone 5.1: There is a reason why this is the most duplicated exhaust. If you like the high pitched F1 sound, @ WOT this is the exhaust for you. It's also fairly quiet at cruising and mild acceleration. In other words, I find this setup loud, when you want it to be loud. :) I went a bit more aggressive and added test pipes to my setup.

I had the BelCanto awhile back. The issues I personaly have with these and 5.1's is, they work better with a 6spd equipped or "shortgeared 5spd. The stock early model looooooooong 2nd gear sounds unappealling to me through a loud exhaust. Just my .02

This is 100% purely subjective, here are my thoughts and personal experience:

1. Comptech: decent "growl" a bit more aggressive then stock, but barely. I sold mine because it was just too mild for my tastes.

2. Taitec GTLW: Nice deep sounding exhaust, however the cabin "drone" during cruising speeds was just too annoying IMO. I sold it because of this.

3. GTone 5.1: There is a reason why this is the most duplicated exhaust. If you like the high pitched F1 sound, @ WOT this is the exhaust for you. It's also fairly quiet at cruising and mild acceleration. In other words, I find this setup loud, when you want it to be loud. :) I went a bit more aggressive and added test pipes to my setup.

I agree with Synth19 100%. I have the Comptech on mine (came with the car), and it is definitely a mild sound. Hopefully, I will obtain the GTone 5.1 soon. It sounds "super nice" :cool:

Tubi exhaust + Cantrell AIS intake.

i would suggest
1. tubi exhaust
2. comptech headers
3. high flow cats

this is my set up and i continually get compliments.
what the high flow cats did was match the internal diameters of the headers and the tubi exhaust. this slightly lowered the pitch of the sound.
:biggrin:

i would suggest
1. tubi exhaust
2. comptech headers
3. high flow cats

this is my set up and i continually get compliments.
what the high flow cats did was match the internal diameters of the headers and the tubi exhaust. this slightly lowered the pitch of the sound.
:biggrin:

larger picture of your avatar? :biggrin:

Like others have said a header system makes a difference in performance for the NA1 - sound I don't know because I haven't been in one that doesn't have headers. But the exhaust thing is purely for sound except for by passes - that would make a diff - how much is hard to say.

On the speed of the NSX - it's still plenty fast by todays standards. Ok maybe not as fast as a new Porshce but then you're not spending 80 to 90k either. Not as fast as a Lambo or Ferrari or Aston - but again - what do you expect. For cars in the price range of our used NSXs - what else is so much faster? What, an STI - ohhhh boy - big deal....unless your a big autocrosser. Mustang Cobra - well that's faster - so what? Vette is too - completely different experience - nothing wrong with a Vette - they're probably the best bang for the speed buck out there. The NSX is still plenty fast - fast enough to get you in a heap of trouble and on most curvy roads I think it still shines quite well!

For my 34k, which is about what I have in mine, there isn't another car out there that does what it does except a Vette. You either like sports cars or muscle when it comes to that choice, imho.

pride exhaut with test pipes ftw. The down rev sounds like a super car.....its priceless imo.

Back