Color Code Help for Purple 1995-1996 NSXs

Ben

Experienced Member
In the course of my research on NSX VINs, I found an odd thing.

In 1995 and 1996, there were a handful of purple US-Spec NSXs built.

In American Honda's Database, the ones with Black/Onyx interiors have the exterior color listed as "Plum". The ones with Tan/Camel interiors have the exterior color listed as "Midnight Pearl". Not sure why there is a difference, but I just want to double confirm that they are in fact the same color (which I'm sure they are).

For those of you with a purple NSX, can you send me the color code on the doorjamb label, and tell me what color your interior is?

Thanks!

According to the 1995 NSX/NSX-T Body Repair Manual (page 8-5), the paint is described as "Midnight Purple Pearl" and has a paint code of: PB-73P.

According to the 1995 NSX/NSX-T Body Repair Manual (page 8-5), the paint is described as "Midnight Purple Pearl" and has a paint code of: PB-73P.

Thanks for the info.

I've seen and know what the manuals and documentation say, but I just want to confirm it on real cars to be sure.

Just to confirm, my 96 NSX was midnight pearl, and it had the "color PB-73P sticker inside the drivers door.....I had the camel leather interior.

Regards,

Ray

Just to confirm, my 96 NSX was midnight pearl, and it had the "color PB-73P sticker inside the drivers door.....I had the camel leather interior.

Regards,

Ray

Cool, thanks.

Anyone with a black/onyx interior want to provide some input?

There was only one purple NSX color code: PB-73P.

window stickers said plum even for tan interiors:
window.jpg

brochures said midnight pearl:
brochure.jpg

The Japanese color chart at http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/modelinfo/jpcolors.jpg has katakana that sounds like mid-do-na-i-to.

Last edited:
lil' purple nsx...

Just an FYI... Honda had a 'Dark Amethyst Pearl Clearcoat' (PB-74P) for their late '90s Civic coupes, and possibly another model or two which I can't precisely recall the model-years of (ie. Prelude, etc'). It was a lighter & more pronounced purple than the 'Midnight Pearl Clearcoat' of the '95-'96 NSX-T.
Is that the one that changed color almost like the 'mystic' paints? The one that looks like a hooker's nail polish?
David... as your vast know-how on gentlemen's entertainers/companions precedes you (;)), no, that infamous NSX sportin' the chameleon paint-job usually in an outdoor Vegas parking-lot is a custom paint-finish reminiscent of the description you gave.

The 'Midnight Pearl Clearcoat' paint-finish is actually a very-very dark, deep purple/violet w/ noticeable pearl flecks in it's base-coat. It almost appears black from afar, but truly appreciated from close-up and in various lighting conditions/scenarios.

He approves...

(BTW: David, what's shakin'? LTNS @ Zen/anywhere-else-where-women-are-clad... :D)

Last edited:
Anyone out there with a purple NSX w/black/onyx interior that can check their color code? :smile:

PB 73B checking in here; Midnight Pearl. 1995 year model if that matters. Should be the same color. I duplicated my 1992 in PB 73B with the factory BB roof so I had two MP cars.

However, one recently received a deposit toward switching ownership...

Is the interior black or tan?

Back