Clutch/shifter feel in 98?

I test drove a 98 last weekend with about 60K miles. The last NSX I drove was a 5 speed. The car I drove was strong, with great throttle response, stable idle, instant starting.

The owner says he put a new clutch in about 45000 miles. The clutch was a bit "chattery" to me getting going but I don't know if that's me not quite use to this clutch or not. The shifter also had a bit less of free float feel in neutral. No problems actually shifting but I'd say the shift linkage felt a bit clunky compared to my wife's 1990 Miata.

Can you guys describe the normal clutch and shifter behavior of this generation NSX? I will have very few opportunities to compare other NSXs.

The clutch should not be any different than any other NSX, it does however have a bit of kick on the clutch once off the line.

The six speed transmission is a bit "clunky" ..ie "notchey" when compare to a five speed transmission. Another factor to consider, is that the transmission have to be warm up, and it will become smooth as silk.

Hopes this helps.

Bram

hofffam said:
I test drove a 98 last weekend with about 60K miles. The last NSX I drove was a 5 speed. The car I drove was strong, with great throttle response, stable idle, instant starting.

The owner says he put a new clutch in about 45000 miles. The clutch was a bit "chattery" to me getting going but I don't know if that's me not quite use to this clutch or not. The shifter also had a bit less of free float feel in neutral. No problems actually shifting but I'd say the shift linkage felt a bit clunky compared to my wife's 1990 Miata.

Can you guys describe the normal clutch and shifter behavior of this generation NSX? I will have very few opportunities to compare other NSXs.

Back