Clutch Question

I am looking at a low mileage 04 NSX. The previous owner did not like the original clutch and replaced it with aftermarket. Prior to this sale, it was again replaced with an OEM (new I think) clutch. Is this an issue and if so, what things would you look for?

I am looking at a low mileage 04 NSX. The previous owner did not like the original clutch and replaced it with aftermarket. Prior to this sale, it was again replaced with an OEM (new I think) clutch. Is this an issue and if so, what things would you look for?

Your question: replacing the stock oem clutch with an aftermarket clutch, problem?

No, there is not problem with replacing the oem clutch with an aftermarket clutch. I loved the oem clutch but when it was time to replace my clutch, I had an aftermarket comptech clutch/flywheel installed. Since then, I would never go back to the OEM. Major difference is the engagement point (extremely short). As long as the clutch was installed by a well trained and well performed mechanic then you should not have anything to worry about. I would hope the owner has documents and milage record/date to prove such a job was performed. and ofcourse, hopefully the owner did not rag the clutch out.

Having an AM clutch installed previously isn't an inherent issue. Other than the car being beat on there isn't anything specific to look for.

I do, however, recommend the OEM clutch for all stock/near-stock power applications.

The car's got a new OEM clutch- what's the big issue? That's one less maintenance item you've got to worry about. That's a bonus - just like getting new brake pads or tires.

The car's got a new OEM clutch- what's the big issue? That's one less maintenance item you've got to worry about. That's a bonus - just like getting new brake pads or tires.

I think the OP was asking if ever having an AM clutch was an issue. Obviously the OEM clutch is not an issue.

Having had an AM clutch in itself is not an issue. Having an AM clutch of unkown origin might be an issue but that's not the case.

IMO an AM clutch might be an indication the car was more likely to have been driven hard but not necessarily so. If the car checks out otherwise the fact that an AM clutch had been in the car is itself a non-issue.

I think the OP was asking if ever having an AM clutch was an issue. Obviously the OEM clutch is not an issue.

Having had an AM clutch in itself is not an issue. Having an AM clutch of unkown origin might be an issue but that's not the case.

IMO an AM clutch might be an indication the car was more likely to have been driven hard but not necessarily so. If the car checks out otherwise the fact that an AM clutch had been in the car is itself a non-issue.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I have only had stock clutches on my cars, perhaps I am missing out. But wanted to make sure.

Back