Clutch play/travel on 1991...

Question for you fellow NSXers with 1991s or NA1s. I had a stainless steel clutch slave line installed and now my pedal feels quite a bit different. I am wondering if an adjustment should have been made that was overlooked.

I climbed under the dash (no small feat for me) and pushed on the pedal as I lay there upside down. I noticed mechanical play before the piston of the slave cylinder became engaged. It struck me that said play was not compliant.

I happened to be at a Hugo window-repair meet and asked a few other owners to step on the pedal and give me their feedback. To the person, they claimed it felt pretty odd.

So, any guidance/direction from you all?

Last edited:
Are you sure the system was bled properly?

also, no idea if this helps, but here's the clutch pedal adjustment page from the service manual:

clutchAdjustment.jpg

Last edited:
Vivan - I am not sure. But, what I do know is that I am driving this beast out to Pittsburgh in the near future! So, be ready to meet up and discuss cars and food.

Seriously though, I just don't know about the bleeding. I presume so, but this feels weird. I may have another shop take a quick look. Even by the manual's standards, the play is too much.

Before you tighten the play, make sure it is 100% bled. If there is any air, you WILL have extra play. also if you installed the stainless line, did you remove the clutch damper? This will give the clutch engagement a more direct feel.

HTH,
LarryB

Before you tighten the play, make sure it is 100% bled. If there is any air, you WILL have extra play. also if you installed the stainless line, did you remove the clutch damper? This will give the clutch engagement a more direct feel.

HTH,
LarryB
Larry,
Thanks for weighing in. Much appreciate it.
I presume it was 100% bled, the shop that did the work is super high quality and I trust their judgement. Though, I suppose we can all miss something from time to time.
I do not know if they removed the damper. I doubt it since it was not discussed in as part of the work.
I will focus on having it re-bled.
Thanks,
M

Back