Clutch pedal noise....

'91 w/40k miles....Lately I've noticed a clicking noise when I depress the clutch (coming from the area of the pedal itself)...Otherwise, the car seems to shift fine....Any ideas?..Thanks.

Is the clicking close to normal position or or close to the floor?
If it is the first case I would check out the cruise control switch. it is located just under the knee-panel. If you crawl under the steeringwheel, and check on the right side of the clutch pedal, 3 inches above the rubber plate you will find it.
try to press down the pedal and just try to engage the switch with your finger. It shouldn't make a lot of noise, just a slight click. if it is noisy, you should probably change it. does you cruise control works? and does it release the accelerator when you press the clutch pedal? these are two of indicators that the switch is out.

------------------
longing hard to get my hands on one

It clicks upon initial depression of the pedal (close to the top)...I'll check out the cruise control switch...Thanks.

I had this for a while, got it diagnosed. I have the notes at home describing exactly what it was - will post about it tonight. Bottom line is, nothing to worry about.

I have the same thing also.. I think that the clicking noise (mine is only when you engage the clutch ) is normal ?? I can only hear it with the stereo off and with the windows rolled up.

I perceived mine more by feel than by noise. When I depressed the clutch pedal, it would stick a little bit on the way back up. It stuck at one point, when the pedal is maybe 5 or 10 percent of the travel from the top. My tech said he could replace the clutch master cylinder for $250 to fix it.

This was several years ago and I don't remember whether I had it fixed or not. But I don't get the sticking any more.

Back