Clutch adjustment..

So I am still a newbie with the car and to me feels as though the clutch grabs way high when I am shifting....what I mean is from a stop I feather my foot of the pedal and it doesnt seem to grab till 3/4 or more on the way up.
I am used to alot lower dollar cars and am not sure if this can be adjusted on this car I gotta think it is, but dunno.

hope I explained ths right lol, thanks in advance!

That's a typical indication that the clutch is worn and near the end of its service life.

See more info in this thread:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68432

Hugh said:
The clutch pedal should have a small amount of free play (0.35 to 0.59 in). The total length of travel of the pedal should be A(5.12 to 5.31 in). When engaged the clutch pedal should be C(7.34) in from the floor. The disengagement point should be D(3.66) in from the floor.

Therefore when fully depressed the clutch pedal should be about 2 inches from the floor (C-A) and the clutch should start engaging after about 1 1/2 inches of travel. (D) - (C-A).

If your clutch engages near the end of the travel range that is an indication that it probably worn close to the point of replacement.

clutch_pedal.jpg

Just because it was replaced only 20K ago doesn't mean it's not worn out. It's possible the clutch was treated like a Bangkok hooker by a bunch of sailors on shore leave before you got the car.

Hugh said:
Just because it was replaced only 20K ago doesn't mean it's not worn out. It's possible the clutch was treated like a Bangkok hooker by a bunch of sailors on shore leave before you got the car.

:biggrin: :biggrin: Very nice Hugh!

I think my clutch was not well "used" either. I have 70K on mine and it is about to go. Also, I bought a "slightly used" clutch from a member on Prime that turns out has had a rough life itself (fortunately I picked up for cheap, so I can use it as a core exchange...no harm no foul).

As a side note however, my mechanic mentioned to me that the clutch (OEM at least) can be adjusted every 30k or so to help minimize this effect as the clutch wears (keeps the balance better). But as mentioned by Hugh, you may have a Bangkok hooker on your hands.

Before replacing it, have your mechanic adjust it. I don't know the terminology, but I will have my car in the shop tomorrow, so I can ask then.

Best of luck to you.

94BlkNSXinNC said:
As a side note however, my mechanic mentioned to me that the clutch (OEM at least) can be adjusted every 30k or so to help minimize this effect as the clutch wears (keeps the balance better).
Before replacing it, have your mechanic adjust it. I don't know the terminology, but I will have my car in the shop tomorrow, so I can ask then.

I'm curious about what your mechanic is talking about. The original clutch on my car lasted 130,000 miles and the new one now has almost 46,000 miles on it and nothing was ever "adjusted" every 30K miles. And does he mean by "balance"? The only adjustments outlined in the service manual are for correct free play. Perhaps that is what he is talking about because quoting the service manual "the clutch is self-adjusting to compensate for wear".

Correct free play is very important because (quoting the service manual again): "CAUTION: If there is no clearance between the master cylinder piston and pushrod, the release bearing is held against the diaphragm spring which can result in clutch slippage or other clutch problems."

This is all from page 12-4 of the online service manual (the same as page 320 of the actual PDF file)

You are correct. I couldn't remember how he worded it. That is what he mentioned to me. I guess I was under the impression that this clearance adjustment could assist in the clutch pedal travel. Thanks for the clarification. I will still follow up with him tomorrow though.

Happy holidays Hugh!

You are correct. I couldn't remember how he worded it. That is what he mentioned to me. I guess I was under the impression that this clearance adjustment could assist in the clutch pedal travel. Thanks for the clarification. I will still follow up with him tomorrow though.

Happy holidays Hugh!

My work computer sucks. Admin: sorry for yet another duplicate reply. This will be my last reply for the night. Regards, Chuck

You can delete duplicate posts by clicking the Edit button then in the next window that appears, use the Delete button. This entire thread belongs in Do It Yourself anyway. :)

Happy Holidays to you too Chuck!

I have read a number of times in these forums that the NSX clutch engages at a higher pedal level than most other vehicles. Apparently it's just the nature of the NSX, and your car is probably normal. Sometimes when I've been driving one of the Subies (whose clutches engage right off the floor) for a while, and then switch to the NSX, it takes a few shifts to get re-accustomed to the engagement point of the NSX.

Danny, I think the clutch was like that since the day I installed it. After installing the exedy, the pedal pressure was increased a bit but the overall height of the engagement seemed about the same as OEM. The clutch grabs quite harsh, but I think thats just the nature of the compound. I wouldn't worry about it until it starts to slip. Just get used to it.

I actually prefer having only the first half of the clutch's travel being the working area. I always have my mechanic set it that way. It makes shifting a lot quicker, unless your a drag racer where people like to hold the clutch down and let it pop up by slipping the foot. :smile:

I love the NSX clutch! You barely push it down and it grabs right away! its not like an integra, rsx, or TL where u have to push half to the floor in order to engage clutch! makes for a lot quicker and easier shift!

Back