Club Radios ?

I just thought to start this discussion for all you new guys. There is still time to get a club radio for this summer's events and NSXPO.

Having radio communication with other owners when caravaning and during organized drives makes the experience much more pleasurable and less stressful.

I seem to remember a list of radio models that are compatible and places to purchase being posted here before.

Rich

You can always find club radios on ebay at discount prices. The price ranges but can go up to $250 for a new one from a authorized retailers. I can usally find them on ebay between $60 and $150 for a good one like the motorola XU2100/2 Watts. I highly recommend a radio with 2 watts of power which has an effective range of probably 2 miles and a optimum range of 5 miles under certain conditions. You will also find a wide variety of 1 watt to 5 watt models out there but I would not get anything less then 2 watts. My personal choice has always been the motorola XTN line, there radios are rugged and cover a wide range of frequencys including our club frequency of UHF 464.55 mhz. The XTN radios will take a rechargable battery as well as over the counter AA batteries in case of an emergency if your battery fails or you forget your charger on a trip.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Resources/clubradios.htm

Last edited:
Hi Pilot,

There was also post listing many of the models available and some retailers. I think the source was Ken S.

Can anyone locate that post or provide the info.

Thanks Rich

RichH said:
Hi Pilot,

There was also post listing many of the models available and some retailers. I think the source was Ken S.

Can anyone locate that post or provide the info.

Thanks Rich

I know some of the models listed in the past are no longer available but if you do a online search for two way radios and then see what they offer in a UHF radio on the club frequency you can see what your options are.

WHy "Club Radios"....

Why not just use FRS radios? You can get them that go 5 miles for cheap. I have never gotten a satisfactory answer for using club radios over FRS. Can someone straighten me out?

Why not just use FRS radios?

The club has standardized on a UHF radio with a frequency of 464.55 Mhz. There are 14 possible channels that can be used with a FRS radio, none of which are at the club frequency. I would think that everyone with a club radio would need to get new radios if we switched to FRS radios.

FCC regulations limit these radios to 1/2 watt with a range of 1-2 miles. I've not seen a true FRS radio with a greater range.

Also it seems that diffeent models of FRS radios can provide 38 subchannels per channel - that gives everyone upto 532 different channels to pick from - possibly a problem trying to get everyone on the same frequency...

As I said above I suppose the biggest reason not to go to FRS is that everyone that already has a 'club' radio would need to get a new one.

My .02 :)

Re: WHy "Club Radios"....

Dennis in SE PA said:
Why not just use FRS radios? You can get them that go 5 miles for cheap. I have never gotten a satisfactory answer for using club radios over FRS. Can someone straighten me out?

FRS radios get alot of cross talk as well as interference from what I remember and as far as there claimed range.... i doubt that they would be effective for more then a 1/2 mile.

this has been thrown around before, i believe the NSXCA is actually licensed as well to use that frequency.

rich, no need for the radios next weekend i imagine?
i need to buy a new battery pack :).

According to the FCC, FRS (Family Radio Service) is designed to be an unlicensed, "Very Short Distance Two-way Voice Radio Service."

The NSX club has licensed the following frequencies:

464.55MHz
464.50MHz
469.50MHz
469.55MHz

None of the FRS channels below overlap our club frequencies.

1................... 462.5625
2................... 462.5875
3................... 462.6125
4................... 462.6375
5................... 462.6625
6................... 462.6875
7................... 462.7125
8................... 467.5625
9................... 467.5875
10.................. 467.6125
11.................. 467.6375
12.................. 467.6625
13.................. 467.6875
14.................. 467.7125[

I have been using FRS for a few years...

and they have worked fine on the runs I have gone on. The cross talk is eliminated with the "sub-channels" . They have a limited distance, but we are usually within a mile of each other anyway. It seems the reason for getting club radios is because many already have them. I understand that also.

Back