Close to giving an offer on 91 blk/blk in chicago JH4NA1153MT002380

Close to giving an offer on 91 blk/blk in chicago

There is a salesmen at Lynch Porsche that is selling his NSX with 30K miles and he wants $36K. The VIN in JH4NA1153MT002380. It looks to be in good shape with only some paint chips on the underside of the mirror and a possible ding on the front bumper. The car was not washed before I looked at it so I couldn't tell how bad (if any) the rock dings on the hood were.

Has anyone seen this car or know anything about the history? I was told he was the second owner, bought it at an action at 10K miles.

Also I'd appriciate an negotiating advice.

Thanks,
T.J.

$36,000 for a 91 is a little on the high side, but with it being at a dealer it's not out of line assuming all the std repairs and maintenance have been done and it does not have a snap ring trans.

see the faq's here on prime for a buyers checklist.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/used_nsx_checklist.htm

Right off the top of my head you need to check the status of:

Window regulators
Timming belt, water pump and coolant hose replacment.

Have somebody from NSX prime member in your area look at the car first. Most of the members here can give you a good advise and are willing to help you out. All you need to do is ask!

Things you may want to check:

1. Carfax - Accident history/Lien?/Clear Title?/odometer
2. Timing Belt/Water pump have been replaced - This will cost you $1-2k if not yet done
3. Look for signs of repainting on any of the exterior
4. Transmission Snap ring range issue(see FAQ or use Search)
5. A/C has been converted and is working (has no leaks-This is expensive)
Or you can have a local Acura Tech inspect the car for you..

In my opinion a $36k price tag for a 91 w/ 30k is on the high side - unless it's perfect(no signs of wear) and doesnt need anything.

I suggest take your time to do your research. NSXPrime has all the information you;re going to need to make a wise decission.
Remember "SEARCH" is your friend!
:D :D

Good Luck!
PS. Insist that you inspect the car during daytime and when it's all clean. Otherwise it's hard to notice all the imperfections.

KEN - Where are you? ;)

Last edited:
jagtiger said:
KEN - Where are you?;)
I'm here. And I agree with everything that everyone else has already said. $36K is definitely on the high side for a '91 with possible dings and unknown status of window regulators, timing belt/water pump, coolant hoses, snap ring, etc. For $36K, a '91 should be perfect, with no issues at all other than normal wear consistent with its below-average mileage. Unless those issues have been addressed, this sounds like a car that might be worth ~$32K.

I would also recommend that you have a pre-purchase inspection done by one of the dealers in town who do a lot of NSX service - either Woodfield Acura in Hoffman Estates or Pauly Acura in Highland Park. Lynch is on the northwest side of the city; I think Woodfield may be slightly closer than Pauly, but not by all that much.

I thought timing belt / water pump were a 60K item so I assumed they were not replaced. It is the recommendation to change them based on age also? The windows were slow but both worked, they are the same as every other NSX I've looked at I was hoping a bit of grease in the right spots would fix them. The tranny was in the 10031xx range. close to the range doesn't matter right? I asked about the A/C and he said it blew very cold but I didn't test it becuase of the weather.

I noticed the rear lower bumper (actually its the black plactic under the painted bumper) next the to license plate was warped down about 1/2" compared to the other side of the plate.

The seat bolster had very little wear ( the guy is ~140-150lbs.) Also the plastic piece on the sil between the mettal and carpet has scuffs on it from shoes getting in and out.

The auto check shows all registration events except when he bought it at auction with 11K miles. It was in TX before that.

The amps/speakers were removed and sent to Bose to be fixed/upgraded. He said that he was talking to the Bose guy when they began putting them into the Porsches and the guy offered to fix it. They sound great.

Thanks for the quick responses.
T.J.

thouchin said:
I thought timing belt / water pump were a 60K item so I assumed they were not replaced. It is the recommendation to change them based on age also?
Yes. The recommendation on the '91-96 NSX is to replace the timing belt every 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first. However, there are many early NSXs around with the original timing belt on them. The water pump is normally done at the same time because it is virtually the same labor, so you may as well replace it while you're in there.

thouchin said:
It is the recommendation to change them based on age also? The windows were slow but both worked, they are the same as every other NSX I've looked at I was hoping a bit of grease in the right spots would fix them.
You can't tell whether they have been upgraded unless you open up the door panels. You can spend a couple hundred bucks for labor to install the window fix-it thingies ($16) on each side and that will take care of it. Don't assume it's been done, though; if they fail, you are looking at ~$500-600 per side to get a new window regulator and have it installed. You can read more in the FAQ, under Troubleshooting - Power Windows.

thouchin said:
The tranny was in the 10031xx range. close to the range doesn't matter right?
Right.

What about all the other scheduled maintenance (30K/60K/90K)? When was that last done?

This still doesn't sound like a $36K NSX to me. Maybe $33K or so.

Briank said:
$36,000 for a 91 is a little on the high side, but with it being at a dealer it's not out of line assuming all the std repairs and maintenance have been done and it does not have a snap ring trans....

I think he means the salesman personally owns the car, not that the dealer has it on their lot. So the price should be gauged on a normal private sale basis.

For $36,000 that car should have NO problems or paint issues at all. The few '91 NSX's that are running around with 10,000-15,000 miles and are perfect can be had for that much, so spending that kind of money on a 30,000 mile car is just not right.

I would pay $32,500 at most if the car is really nice with no major issues and only a few minor ones (chips, etc.) to speak of. Before I bought my '94 NSX I was looking at buying a '91 NSX with 32,000 miles that was perfect and he was asking $32,000 for that one. Like I said, this one was PERFECT!!

If you are really serious, we should send some people over to check it out. I may even drive over from Indiana if nobody else can.

I'm very serious. I went up on the 6th to look at it and if the weather is nice I may go back this weekend to get it looked at by one of the dealers mentioned. I think I'm being thorough but I would definately appriciate it if some one would give a second oppinion. The car was inside the dealership when I looked at it but he has taken it home by now.

The guy that owns the car is a salesmen at Lynch Porsche. It will be a private sale. I just talked to him and the windows have not been fixed with the thingies. A/C has not been converted but blows cold. No 30K/60K/90K schedualed work has been done but he takes it to the dealer for all the work and may have done it all at different times. I asked for the work history printout from dealer (Pauly Acura).

He agreed to get a checkup from the dealer, if its there during the week I will post the time and it would be great if someone wanted to look at it.

Thanks for all the help,
T.J.

I don't mean to get you off topic here, but just curious if you've checked out the black/ivory at Carsource USA in Chicago? 39700 miles, tb & wp done at 39k, clutch at (I think) 33k, 30k service done on time, window regulators replaced in '97 or '99 recent A/C work, etc. I don't have any interest in the car, just checked it out a couple weeks ago and thought you might be interested. Priced at 29800, non-negotiable(wish I had known that before driving 6 six hours to look at it). Anyway, best of luck!

Nate

p.s. If you have any questions about this one feel free to e-mail me at;
[email protected]

Big_nate said:
I don't mean to get you off topic here, but just curious if you've checked out the black/ivory at Carsource USA in Chicago? 39700 miles, tb & wp done at 39k, clutch at (I think) 33k, 30k service done on time, window regulators replaced in '97 or '99 recent A/C work, etc. I don't have any interest in the car, just checked it out a couple weeks ago and thought you might be interested. Priced at 29800, non-negotiable(wish I had known that before driving 6 six hours to look at it). Anyway, best of luck!

Nate

p.s. If you have any questions about this one feel free to e-mail me at;
[email protected]

Looks like a good deal! No accidents I suppose..:)

jagtiger said:
Looks like a good deal! No accidents I suppose..:)

Whoops! Sorry about that, I was just trying to give a quick sketch in case he wanted to consider it. This car had the right rear quarter repainted, overspray visible with trunk open. All gaps lined up well and the paint looked perfect, at least to my untrained eye. BTW, this WAS disclosed by the dealer when I spoke to them on the phone. They volunteered the information without me asking so I would consider them to be pretty honest. I should have mentioned it since some will consider that a deal breaker. Again, best of luck.

Nate
still looking for that silver or black 91-94

Yeah, I looked at four of them while I was in CHI. The one you are talking about has had two accidents, collision with another vehicle in 92 and with a traffic sign in 97. This info was from an AutoCheck. There was a ~24" scratch on the same panel that was viewable only by bending way over. The rock dings on the nose seemed excesive. I may look at it again but thanks for mentioning it anyway. JH4NA1152MT002046 / tranny 1002858

Carsource also had a blk/blk 91 there that wasn't for sale yet. It was in considerably worse shape. possible engine replacement and problems with the new engine even. 55K miles one owner, JH4NA1153MT001200/ tranny 1001719

The NSX that I am going to make an offer on will be at Pauly Acura tomorrow all day if anyone wants to give a second opinion.

Thanks in advance,

T.J.

Big_nate,

Have you looked at the blk/ivory 91 at Forestes Park Place Motors
in Carmel, IN? It's got 60,800 miles ...price $30,995.00
VIN JH4NA1155MT001456 I haven't done the carfax because my sub ran out.

T.J.

thouchin said:
The NSX that I am going to make an offer on will be at Pauly Acura tomorrow all day if anyone wants to give a second opinion.
I might stop by if I get a chance. But even if I don't, don't worry - you can trust the opinions you get from Chuck or Craig, their two NSX techs. They are both very, very good.

just some info data. I had a blk/blk 91. When i bought it two yrs ago in november there were 16.5k miles. At that time i paid 37k. The car was pretty flawless. At tradein i got 31k with 22k miles.

hope that helps.

thouchin said:
Big_nate,

Have you looked at the blk/ivory 91 at Forestes Park Place Motors
in Carmel, IN?
T.J.

Yes, briefly, several months ago. I didn't drive it because they were having the engine mounts replaced and some recall work done. I left my name, number, and e-mail and never heard from them. Talked to them again recently about the car and they don't seem very willing to deal. IMO car is overpriced for condition, mileage, and service status. Maybe they're waiting for the 'big spring rush' on sports cars:rolleyes:

Nate

Bad news, Craig at Pauly Acura found a few things wrong. The clutch is on its last leg ( maybe 5K miles left) the clutch master cyl is leaking, the valve cover leaks, and the kicker he's pretty sure a ticking sound coming from the tranny is a bearing.

The guys at Pauly are realy great, thanks for recommending them.

None of this is the end of the world but the seller will either come down big time or try to sell it to someone who doesn't know. I hope it's the former, I haven't been able to reach him yet.

What does a tranny rebuild cost?

T.J.

thouchin said:
What does a tranny rebuild cost?
It depends on what needs to be done. I'm pretty sure you can expect to pay 8-12 hours of labor, probably more like 12 (maybe even slightly higher) if you're having the clutch installed too. Hourly rates around here are around $90 or so.

The clutch itself usually costs around $1300.

I don't know how much extra the other items might be.

I have spoken to him before regarding his car while I was in there looking at a 996. He bought the thing for a song at the auction was basically bragging that he could break even after five (or something) years of driving it at $35k. Not exactly a real NSX guy. I emailed him after buying mine and got no response.

Coincidentally I may be in the market to move my '91 with 29k miles on it for the right price, blk on blk, two sets of wheels, gorgeous.

How quickly are you looking to buy? I am currently working with my extended warranty company to have both window regulators replaced.

He seemed very nice to me but then again he want $36,000 of my money.

I am very interested in your car and I have the means to pay cash now. Can you email me the details of the car?

Thanks,
T.J.

Sure just give me your email or drop me a note.

Back