Close to getting my NSX. What to change first?

I am very close to getting my forst NSX. I have two choices, one 92 (silver, only single airbag and only 15000 miles) and one 93/94 (red, twins air bags with 28000 miles). Which one will you recommend? is there a lot of difference in term of the mechanics? I have looked into "the changes by years" section but dont think there are any "major" changes.

Both cars are very very original. I want to make some changes to the car but cannot afford to do it at once. So I want to seek you guys' recommendation as to what should I do first:-

1. Changing the wheels from 15/16" to 18/19"
2. Changing the suspension
3. Changing the brakes, headers and exhaust
4. Changing some of the engine parts (yet to confirm what to change)
5. Putting a supercharge (if suitable for an automatic).

These are my priorities. After that I will start thinking about the cosmetics of the car (including the engine bay and the outlook of the car).

Thanks for your help folks.

Ben

Originally posted by NSXTC:
6. Trade in your newly acquired automatic for a 5-speed

I can see why some of the people on this board get fed up with the attitudes of a few individuals about auto transmissions.

Your statement doesn't make much sense in my opinion. If both of the cars that he found where automatics then I would assume he must WANT an automatic. I have owned both an auto NSX and a six speed and I can tell you they are both fantastic. I currently own a manual because I don't have to drive the car in rush hour anymore.

This person is new to our board and asked a legitimate question and received a smart-ass response from you. If you like manuals so much better than fine, but don't try and push your "beliefs" on everyone else.

My response:
I agree that if the newer model car is priced similiar to the '92 then go with the newer car. I would also recommend going with the Basch supercharger and keeping your internal engine stock. The exhaust and header are good upgrades for the earlier cars as it drops weight and cuts down back pressure.

Good Luck! I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

Thanks folks, yes, both are auto and I prefer to drive auto as well so that my girl friend can share the car. Dont worry, she is a very good driver.

So it seems that an auto can also integrate well with the supercharge?

Which supercharge should I choose then, any recommendation?

Thanks a lot.

Originally posted by NSXBenny:
I want to seek you guys' recommendation as to what should I do first

Congrats on your decision to get an NSX. May I suggest that you drive the car as-is for the first few months before modifying it. This will give you a chance to better learn what you like and don't like about the car before you actually start doing your mods.

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

Thanks folks, yes, both are auto and I prefer to drive auto as well so that my girl friend can share the car. Dont worry, she is a very good driver.

Thanks a lot.

If I was going to supercharge a car in the near future, I would go with the Basch supercharger. You can't match the performance at twice the price and Mark Basch is someone who will stand behind what he produces. 6K more for a '93 sounds pretty high, if the '92 checks out and isn't in the snap ring range I would go with that one and put the extra money into the supercharger. As far as whether or not the stock auto trans can handle the extra power, I believe there is an upgrade that can be made make the auto stronger.

Thanks a lot.

I don't make the SC kit for the auto shifter, its too risky. Its, not my job to tell people what they can or can not buy, except that when it goes boom, its always- did you hear what that POS (fill in the blank) did to my car!! What this powerfull SC will do to your car is derstroy the tranny. If you are really willing to risk it, and I would not, buy the CT SC.It is least likely to damage the trans. I still have the best price and most experience with the CTSC, so give me a jingle if you like.
(sorry for the shameless promotion- I don't know what came over me)

Mark Basch

I agree with Carguy!

I bought an auto because of the traffic I fight every day. I get lots of enjoyment from driving it. If anyone knows about the auto trans upgrade for BBSC please post!!
I am wanting one, but all I've heard so far is that it is NOT recommended.

Originally posted by NSXTC:
6. Trade in your newly acquired automatic for a 5-speed

Hey NSXBenny-

You wanted my opinion, right?
smile.gif

Bottom line is that ANYTHING you do to your NSX reflects your personal choice and decisions. I, for instance have a highly modified 1994 5-speed, but from the outside, it looks totally stock, with stock wheels, where most people would change the wheels as the first thing they do. There is no "right" answer on what to do first.

In fact, if you make your opinion known in public, someone might call you a smartass. That's one of the wonderful things about these forums.

Everyone you talk to will have a different opinion of what to do first. Best thing I can say is to simply enjoy your car, and welcome to the NSX cult....I mean community!
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by NSXTC (edited 28 March 2002).]

Originally posted by Russ:
Congrats on your decision to get an NSX. May I suggest that you drive the car as-is for the first few months before modifying it. This will give you a chance to better learn what you like and don't like about the car before you actually start doing your mods.

Absolutely. Well stated, Russ.

The aftermarket automatic transmission that has been mentioned on these forums is at http://www.levelten.com/pts.htm However, AFAIK no one here has put this on an NSX.

There have been sporadic outbreaks on the forums between purists who diss the automatic and those who, like myself, recognize that many individuals have specific reasons for getting an automatic. I don't think we need to rehash that debate every time someone mentions an automatic.

However, I do think that anyone who gets an automatic needs to recognize its limitations for power upgrades. If you want to get an automatic and you think that you are not going to be satisfied with the stock 252 hp, then your upgrade possibilities are going to be risky, as Mark described. If reliability and proven experience are important to you, you may be better off either being satisfied with the stock drivetrain (but modding brakes, suspension, wheels if you like), or considering a different (non-NSX) car whose automatic can handle more horsepower.

If I had it to do over again I Would not have changed the wheels. The car just does not handle the same with non OEM tires.

[This message has been edited by steveny (edited 28 March 2002).]

1. Changing the wheels from 15/16" to 18/19"

Ben

The setup of 17/18" seems to be the more popular wheel upgrade. Much improves the look of the car. IMO the factory wheels for '91-'93 always looked too small. I have seen a few NSXs with the 18/19" setup and I think it looks like too much wheel for the car. Also tires will be much more expensive (and harder to find) in 19" versions.

Disclaimer: The above comment reflects my personal opinion about the appearance of the car. I don't track my car and do little aggressive cornering/braking. I didn't notice any difference in performance with the bigger wheels/tires.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

I agree with the previous posts on doing nothing to the car. Hey, you might like it stock. I would recommend that you get service on the car wether it needs it or not. i.e. tune up, timing belt, water pump change. This way you know the belts and stuff is new and you can track intervals from there. my .02 =)

In regards to the "wheel" comments...

If the car doesn't feel as good as OEM tires, then get new tires :P

There is a huge market of tires available... find a new tire that suits you.

I myself enjoyed the OEM tires, but I couldn't stand the 91-93 rim design. I changed mine out, and went through quite a few different sets of tires before I found a "suitable" set that I like to drive on.

With the availability of other NSX'ers in your area, Im sure you can find some other owners with various sets of tires for you to "try". In other words, go ride in their cars, It worked for me... :P

-B

I'm also new to the NSX forum. In regards to which car to get. I would opt to get the newer 93-94 model for obvious reason with the snap ring transmission failure and window regulators. On the wheel upgrade 18 and 19 inch rims would look awesome, but depending on your road conditions I wouldn't recommend it. I have a friend that has 18 and 19 and he's in and out of the rim shop every month for repairs. I would go with 17 and 18, but that is just my opinion and everyone has one.

Originally posted by NMYMIRR:
I would opt to get the newer 93-94 model for obvious reason with the snap ring transmission failure and window regulators.

Just remember that there are a whole lot more '91 and '92 cars out there (particularly '91), and over 80 percent of the '91's are not in the snap ring range. The window regulator problem is preventable with an inexpensive fix (the Dali window fix-it thingies). It may be easier to find a '91 in your price range than a '93 or '94.

Back