cleaning oil off an engine

fiance had her oil changed yesterday, idiots didnt put the oil cap back on. oil is now all over engine. luckily oil level is still good, and she'd only driven 21 miles before i noticed. could hav ebeen MUCH worse. car is a virtually new celica GT that had a spotless engine. just trying to figure out the best way to have this mess cleaned up before i call the shop to inform them they are paying for the cleaning.

I use WD-40 for all my engine detailing. It won't hurt anything, and it will also provide protection for the hoses.

Go to Home Deopt and buy a few cans and start spraying. When you start your car, the excess WD-40 will start to burn off so don't get worried about seeing smoke.

You'll be surprised at how clean everything will look afterwards.

if you would like to try something bio degradable that wont smoke after u start your engine try some simple green diluted with water 50/50.......just spray it on and let it soak a few minutes and spray off with a hose.....if you have a cold air intake ,,,cover the filter b4 doin this. Also do not do this while the engine is hott.

nah, i wasnt looking for info on how *I* should clean it, just the appropriate way to have it professionaly done. we took it down to a detailer and had it steam cleaned, took the receipt to the oil change place and they paid us back. we're good for now, as long as crap didnt fall into the open crankcase or something during the 21 miles the car was driven with no oil cap.

Originally posted by NyC NsX:
cover the filter b4 doin this.

And remember to uncover it when you're done.

I can tell you why...
biggrin.gif

Back