Claybar DIY (56K unfriendly)

Thought I'd just get this up on here knowing you NSX owners just loooove your cars and can't run out of things to do to them :)

How to clay bar your car (make it really really nice looking and impress all your friends/boss/dog/etc.) ~ :o

phone%20claybar1.jpg

First, you've gotta have the right materials. That means buying a claybar kit such as the Mother's "California Gold" kit I bought at AutoZone for about $20. It'll have the claybar (duh), a bottle of "lubricant," and usually a little car wax too. You can use whatever kit you want, but I use the Mother's kit because it smells really really good ;) also have a clean rag handy, preferably something that won't scratch up your car.

phone%20claybar2.jpg

It also helps if you've got a clean car. I just washed my car really thoroughly, so it's nice and clean. Please don't try claying a dirty car ~ it will look like crap and people all over the world will make fun of you. This do-it-yourself article is about claying your car; not washing it, so if you need help washing you car I'll make a DIY article about that some other time. So make sure your car is clean before going on to the next step.

phone%20claybar3.jpg

The directions will tell you to spray a 2ft x 2ft area with lubricant. This kinda works, but I recommend you spray a slightly smaller area. Hold the lubricant/instant detailer about 1.5ft away from the surface of the car ~

phone%20claybar4.jpg

And spray. A fine mist over a 1.5ft x 1.5ft area is perfect. This doesn't have to be exact, and the point is just to get some wetness on your car (hell, even water works) but I'm a perfectionist and this is how I do it.

phone%20claybar5.jpg

Now you take that little slab of clay and rub it lightly across the wet area. Back and forth/left and right, hey, whatever works for you. You don't need to press really hard, so save your energy for waxing afterward . You'll feel a "grainy" feeling as you rub your car with the clay. Depending on how crappy your car's condition is, this feeling can vary from "sandpaper and steel wool" to "nearly smooth as glass." If your car feels really rough; fret not ~ that's the clay bar picking all the pollutants and dust and crap that is stuck in your car's finish. You're exfoliating your car.

phone%20claybar6.jpg

Keep rubbing the clay over the area until it feels as smooth as a mirror (it'll look like one too). You can spray more lubricant over the area if it starts getting dry. I spray a ton of lubricant when I clay bar cuz a) it smells really good *Mother's Instant Detailer*, b) it makes it easier, and c) it smells really good. Oh I already said that huh? I've gotta stop sniffing this stuff.

phone%20claybar7.jpg

After the area feels smooth, wipe the excess lubricant off with a cloth. :D

phone%20claybar8.jpg

Yeah, I really used a lot of lubricant. anyways, move on to the next area and repeat the process. You'll find that horizontal surfaces take a lot longer to do than vertical surfaces since more dust collects on horizontal panels of your car. Pay special attention to the hood, the roof, and the rear bumper of your car (especially if that bumper sticks way out, like my Legend's ass).

And when your clay bar looks noticeably dirty, just fold it in half and flatten it out again, so you always have fresh clay to work with. If you drop your clay on the ground (or anything dirty) at any point, you're supposed to throw it away and get another clay bar. That's slightly expensive, so I just cut the dirty part off with scissors. That kind of money could be put to better use buying condoms or something.

phone%20claybar10.jpg

If your car has any sculpted body panels, like my Legend's hood, make sure to push the claybar into those angled surfaces. Hey it's clay after all, so you can squeeze it into whatever shapes you need to match the surfaces of your car.

phone%20claybar11.jpg

For gaps between body panels (like between doors, your bumpers, or for the area around your headlights or something) shape a little wedge with your clay...

phone%20claybar12.jpg

And jam it into that gap. Make sure not to flatten it too much or stuff it in too deep. You don't wanna get loose clay stuck in there.

Oh by the way, a clay bar should last two ~ three claying sessions, depending on the size of your car and how dirty it was. My old Infiniti G20 dirtied a whole clay bar on its very first time, but my Legend (which is considerably cleaner) can go through three clay sessions on just one bar. If you've never done this to your car before, count on using a whole clay bar up the first time around.

Once you get your car clayed all over, make absolute sure that you wax your car. Not waxing your car after a clay bar treatment is like using the toilet and forgetting to pull up your pants. You've gotta finish the job. Wax your car.

phone%20claybar14.jpg

Finished product. You'll FEEL the difference much more than you'll SEE the difference ~ the effort is well worth it.

*note: this pics were taken with my phone so they may not be the best quality. If however, you think they're really good quality considering it was taken by a phone, then credit goes to Audiovox for making the CDM-8900 so awesome*

Nice write-up, your Legend looks super clean! :drool:

BTW, how did you determine it was time to toss the clay? Was it visibly dirty, or did it stop picking up contaminants?

Yep, nice write-up. I would add one thing at the start: Clay in the shade, and on a cool day (or time of day).
...and one thing towards the end: If the claying process has left a residue, even though you tried to avoid it the best you could, simply wash again using Dawn to get rid of the residue.

PHOEN$X said:
Nice write-up, your Legend looks super clean! :drool:

BTW, how did you determine it was time to toss the clay? Was it visibly dirty, or did it stop picking up contaminants?

Thanks :D you throw out the clay when it looks like you wouldn't want to be rubbing it all over your car. At first you'll see little spots; which is fine. But if the clay becomes obviously dirty and you wouldn't want it sliding along your car's surface, then throw it away and get another one. I doubt you'd ever use up more than one clay bar on a car though; even if it's extremely beat. Just make sure the car is washed well beforehand.

I just clayed my NSX for the first time. It took a realyl long time, but the car felt great!

extremely coincidental, as I never read this thread. I just performed this exact process 2 days ago on my wife's Lexus, and I did the NSX today. I followed pretty much the exact process as you described and used the exact same red lubricant and yellow claybar package. I threw away the little bottle of wax.

ALOT of roughness came off the paint and onto the claybar. After 2 cars, I am pitching the bar. It no longer looks purely yellow.

For Zaino users:
I had approx. 15 layers of zaino on the Nsx and I havent clayed it in over a year. I decided against the DAWN wash. I wanted to see how it would look after the claying. The shine seems better than before the claying and the feel is amazingly smooth! However, the direct, head on, reflection was not much different

After the claying, the zaino shine stills appears to be there. It didn't look like it really needed to be waxed again. I waxed it anyway. After I take it off tomorrow, I'll post comments on the difference.

I was told by Sal Zaino that the clay will not remove Zaino. It just pulls out the grime embedded in the Zaino. Based on my experience I believe this to be the case. I clay the NSX every spring.

John

From my observation of using the clay & examining the shine/feel condition with approx 15 layers of zaino, I see no difference before re-waxing. I waxed the car immediately after the clay, and it feels/looks the same as before that coat.

The clay made a huge difference in the feel though. It feels like it has never seen its first time on the street (show-room new.) I highly recommend the Mothers clay/lubricant listed in this thread

Back