Clay Bar

I bought and used a clay bar on my NSX with awesome results. My question is, what can be used to substitute the liquid spray that allows the clay to slide across the surface. Is there a product that can be bought in bulk or made from common cleansers or soaps?

Most of the clay products sell the liquid separately, and it's not particularly expensive. For example, the Meguiars clay product uses Meguiars Quik Detailer product as its lubricant. Quik Detailer, available separately for $4.99 (16 ounces) or $6.99 (32 ounces), is an excellent product, also for "spot cleaning" (that single bird dropping, for example, when you don't need to wash the whole car). The same thing is true of the Clay Magic system and its bottle of Clay Lube, available separately for $5.95 (12 ounces). Whichever brand you're using, it's a good idea to have a bottle around anyway.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 03 September 2002).]

Originally posted by ALLAN:
i have used the clay bar with just soapy water with great results.

What kind of soapy water? Dishwashing detergent? I wouldn't do that to my car... I want to use a product that's designed to be gentle to a car's finish, and to act as a lubricant for detailing clay.

But hey, it's your $200,000+ car, not mine - if you want to risk its finish to save $6 on claying liquid, go for it!
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 03 September 2002).]

I know with the Zaino products and their clay bar, they recommend to use their car wash mixed with water in a spritzer bottle. It works very well and it's very affordable.

http://www.zainobros.com/files/info.htm#anchor31143

I would think that whatever quality soapy car wash product you use that it would work in a similar manner. Just be sure to use plenty of this liquid to keep things lubricated.

Dishwashing liquids, such as Dawn, are mild detergents and will remove most waxes and oils and should not be used for general or routine car washes.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Thanks for all the replies. I needed to detail my house size four door pickup. I really did not want to go through a couple of gallons of clay bar liquid to do it. I used turtle wax car was soap and water and it worked fine. I am just so impressed with the results I achieved on the NSX that I am looking for anything I can clay bar.
ooh ooh...The lawn mower.

I recently used Mothers Clay Bar. It came packaged with their product called Mothers Showtime Instant Detailer. This product, which is also sold separately (16 oz. bottle), was used to lubricate the paint surface.

I recall, when reading the Clay Bar directions, it specifically cautioned against using water. Obviously, I don't know if they do this so they can boost sales of their lubricant, or if water plus soap is an acceptable substitute. Just thought I'd mention what they said.

Matt

Originally posted by steveny:
Thanks for all the replies. I needed to detail my house size four door pickup. I really did not want to go through a couple of gallons of clay bar liquid to do it.

I doubt that it would take "a couple of gallons of clay bar liquid" to do a pickup truck.
rolleyes.gif
Even with the lawn mower.
wink.gif
But, if you really feel it's necessary, it's comforting to know that Meguiars Final Inspection is almost identical to their Quik Detailer product. (Final Inspection is part of their "professional" line, and Quik Detailer is part of their "consumer" line. Marketing hype?) And that, in addition to the 16-ounce size, Final Inspection is available in a one-gallon container (Meguiars part number M-3401), for $21.99.
biggrin.gif

Back