Classic car insurance

540 a year agreed value 35k no mileage cap with Hagerty but mine is special interest because they know it's modified

Grundy - $50K agreed value for ~$750/year in Phoenix - no mileage limit - no daily driving (work, etc) - have to own a daily driver

When you guys say "no daily driving" does that mean you can't ever decide that it's a beautiful day out and you want to drive the NSX to work? Or simply that you can't routinely take it to work?

When you guys say "no daily driving" does that mean you can't ever decide that it's a beautiful day out and you want to drive the NSX to work? Or simply that you can't routinely take it to work?

it's not very difficult to understand. You can't drive it to work, and you mayhave mileage limits. If it's a nice day there's no reason why you can't drive the car, unless you're going to work or school.

Currently have the car on a "Classic Car " policy with JC Taylor, a sub of Farmers insurance. Paying $424 year, 3000 mile limit with a $30,000 value, the max they insure without an appraisal. But I did just get a quote from SafeCo for $289 yearly, no mileage limit, a $500 ded and $30,000 value with NO appraisal.. I am checking this out as we speak. This is on my 1991, considered "classic " after 20 years old :)

Last edited:
OK, here's my quote:

$60k agreed value
120k miles on the car
400HP (they wanted this info in power)
power/weight ratio is 7.5lbs/hp (they wanted this info too)
Limited to 3k miles/year
$712/year premium

unisured/underinsured is $100k/$300k
property damage liability is $50k

Underwriter is American Modern Insurance Group

Geico? BUHHAHAHHAHAHHA.

worse insurance company experience ever..... and I was a victim of being rear ended when the dude let his foot off the brake pedal and coasted into ma butt.

The cliff notes version is that they pressured me to go with some cheap body shop and then they nickle and dimed me.

Here was my experience with Grundy as a result of my NSX being totaled. They paid me the agreed value, no questions asked. Car is gone and money is in the bank. Couldn't have been any more pleased with how the claim was handled.

Here was my experience with Grundy as a result of my NSX being totaled. They paid me the agreed value, no questions asked. Car is gone and money is in the bank. Couldn't have been any more pleased with how the claim was handled.

how much should one expect on the monthly rates?
did they care about mods - specifically ones that add HP?
mileage limits?

how much should one expect on the monthly rates?
did they care about mods - specifically ones that add HP?
mileage limits?

There are no monthly rates. You pay the entire premium at the beginning of the policy period. No mileage limits!

My car didn't have any HP mods. You just tell them how much you value your car at and what it has and they write the policy. I asked them if I could switch out my exhaust and wheels and they said nope. I insured it with those mods and they stayed with the car. I can't complain because I was paid exactly the amount for what I valued the car.

this is the one i used-
http://www.grundyworldwide.com/

i have my car insured with them,no claims yet,but have been pleased with my dealings with them.i didn't have a fully enclosed garage at first and they still insured it,so that showed some flexibility.

State Farm, they have a new program where you only pay for the miles you drive, so for cars that are not used that much the savings is substantial. I simply report my odometer reading every 6 months when they send me an email and it is a snap!

As you all know, I loved Grundy when I had them. They paid me the agreed value on my NSX with no questions asked. However, when I just tried to insure my 2004 Lotus Esprit they denied me coverage because of the NSX claim. I guess they are a "one and done" insurance company. I got Hagerty for my Lotus and they are 2x more expensive than if Grundy would have insured me.

As you all know, I loved Grundy when I had them. They paid me the agreed value on my NSX with no questions asked. However, when I just tried to insure my 2004 Lotus Esprit they denied me coverage because of the NSX claim. I guess they are a "one and done" insurance company. I got Hagerty for my Lotus and they are 2x more expensive than if Grundy would have insured me.
Funny Hagerty wouldn't insure my NSX due to the fact my 21 year old son had an at fault wreck two years ago and he is still on my USAA policy. He is still in college. He isn't old enough to drive either of my classic cars. I went with Grundy and they had no problem insuring the NSX. I had been with Hagerty for 10 years with no claims. I later got a call from Hagerty saying they were willing to reconsider my NSX. I told them I would decide next year when policies come up for renewal.

Last edited:
Back