CL55AMG/911 turbo/NSX CTSC musings

As usual, I've been window shopping/daydreaming about trading my 91 daily driver for something "new" (the grass is always greener...). So far, I've never pulled the trigger on trading in the ol X for anything else, but I've been VERY tempted with the CL55 AMG and 911 turbo which can both be had for 60-65k with low miles (2003 500hp CL, 2002 420hp 911). Both of these are world class coupes.

Have any of you had the chance to drive either of these cars? How would you compare the driving experience to a CTSC NSX? (If I don't trade, I'll add FI). I live in Orange County, where porches and CL's litter the landscape, so my red NSX stands out more than either of these cars. Wow factor is won by the NSX, but how about all out street performance/reliability?

cl55amg.jpg

911turbo.jpg

melmark said:
As usual, I've been window shopping/daydreaming about trading my 91 daily driver for something "new" (the grass is always greener...). So far, I've never pulled the trigger on trading in the ol X for anything else, but I've been VERY tempted with the CL55 AMG and 911 turbo which can both be had for 60-65k with low miles (2003 500hp CL, 2002 420hp 911). Both of these are world class coupes.

Have any of you had the chance to drive either of these cars? How would you compare the driving experience to a CTSC NSX? (If I don't trade, I'll add FI). I live in Orange County, where porches and CL's litter the landscape, so my red NSX stands out more than either of these cars. Wow factor is won by the NSX, but how about all out street performance/reliability?

QUOTE]

996 TT, no question.

Regards,

Danny

I went from a 95 to 03.

My old 95 felt like a slug, it wasn't faster than the S2k had before, but, the 03 is a different animal.

Before I did my header and test pipe, about three months ago, I was dragging a 996 turbo, from standing still. We did three runs, both to 100mph, and each time, I was only about 2 car length behind the Turbo. Needless to say, he was not a happy camper. We talked a little afterwards, and he realized my was not a "real" type R, he was impressed by what my car can do. Needless to say, I was pertty happy too. I know my car can out handle his car on the track, with the R suspension.

I would definitely go for the porsche TT!! Even if you had a supercharge NSX, all you have to do to the porsche is upgrade the exhaust with down pipe and intake and you'll still smoke the supercharge NSX. I love the NSX but a porsche turbo doesnt sound bad either. On the other hand If you went turbo on the NSX like Factory X , I would take that any day and hang with the big boyz on the track!!

If it is the choice between a non modified Porsche Turbo 911 and a CTSC NSX, I'd go for NSX upgrade. I have met Porsche Turbo's several times on track and my NSX outbeat them all the time. And for street use with only minor upgrades for handling, the NSX is more friendly than any other exotic.

I realize everyone gets the "grass is greener" thought now and then. Having said that, a CTSC with supporting mods seems like your best bet to me (unless you are IN LOVE with one of the alternatives). I see a number of 996TT's every few days, and have only seen a handful of NSX's. Also, I'm biased towards the looks of the NSX:P. Either way though, you can't really go wrong, those 996TT's are awesome cars, and the AMG is nice too (although I just can't get over the fact taht they are all auto). Good luck!

melmark said:
Wow factor is won by the NSX, but how about all out street performance/reliability?
I would rule out CL55, that is just me. You will have more fun in either 996TT or NSX. Test drive them all and see what put a bigger smile in your face. Since you are in OC, you have easy test drive acess to all of 3 cars on you list. :smile:

Trading your 91 NSX and paying the difference for 996TT will put a far bigger dent in your wallet than keeping your NSX, if that matters at all.

Power is fun up to a point depending on where you do most of your driving and purpose. If you already enjoy NSX, just imagine if you can add some more power to this car with whatever method of your choice. I personally would rather have JDM short gears on 5spd with no change to R&P or 6spd swap over high boost upgrade + AEM.

Trade for either and you’ll regret your decision.

However, look at it from a brighter side, you'll then be in the market for a newer NSX. Passion & Love will revive all over again.

If you must, go for the 996TT. While it sure is faster, it doesn’t feel as fast as the NSX.

+ 1 on what jason says.....get ctsc, short gears, clutch, ring and pinion, and high boost kit. You will be one happy camper. Talk to Jon Martin at Cerritos Acura if you have any questions regarding to mods.

Well, I owned a CL600 with a bunch of Renntech upgrades, with every option. Car before Renntech stickered at $139,500. I drove at least half a dozen CL55's and SL55's. I spent some extensive time in 996TT's as well, finaly buying my 05 NSX.

The 996TT is a great car. Fast. Relatively comfy. Decent all weather capability. Practical actually for a supercar. Holds is value well, relatively reliable. It was just too common for me. Its a 911. You may know its a turbo, but to most eyes, its just another 911 and everyone has an opinion on that car it seems.

The CL is a powerful car. Extremely smooth. The fit and finish and materials quality is a whole level beyond the Porsche, nevermind the NSX which in comparison honestly, is just.... cheap. It is a car that is so quiet and smooth, so safe, so powerful, you feel like you are in charge of a locomotive on the road. When I was tired after a long day, I wanted nothing more than to get in my 600 and drive home.

The CL doesn't get enough credit for what it is, because not many people have experienced that level of quiet and sophistication in a car. With the double pane glass up, I could not hear cars pass within 2 feet of me. It is also, probably the safest car on the road. It sucks its doors shut, it has a massage feature in the seats, the rearviw mirror is motorized. Full active suspension. It gives you total isolation from any sort of nastiness outside.

But that isolation is good and bad. Good, if you want to be isolated. Which when tired or on a long trip, or in traffic, is exactly what I wanted. Its a cocoon like no other. Bad, if its a nice summer day and you are excited to "drive", there is little feel or feedback. Just not that FUN.

If it were my daily driver, I'd have a hard time choosing. It depends on the roads I had to travel in, etc. The NSX is actually my third car now, so I wanted something "fun", and I have more fun in this than anything else.

You cannot beat the NSX in terms of reliability or depreciation. Look at the hit the CL has taken. Its a great bargain now for the amount of CAR that you get. No doubt. But be ready to take a hit still.

You need to drive one. If its not for you, then like Vance suggested, I really would consider going to an 02+ NSX. Then if you get bored, you can always supercharge it or whatever. You have a 91. I don't care what anyone says, there is a big difference in the 91 and say an 03. I wouldn't start pouring money into a 91.

996TT can be had in the 70-80K range now easy.

Vancehu said:
I went from a 95 to 03.

My old 95 felt like a slug, it wasn't faster than the S2k had before, but, the 03 is a different animal.

Before I did my header and test pipe, about three months ago, I was dragging a 996 turbo, from standing still. We did three runs, both to 100mph, and each time, I was only about 2 car length behind the Turbo. Needless to say, he was not a happy camper. We talked a little afterwards, and he realized my was not a "real" type R, he was impressed by what my car can do. Needless to say, I was pertty happy too. I know my car can out handle his car on the track, with the R suspension.
One has to take into account that you have a 'factory freak' engine. I wonder if one can use the VIN# to see what if other engines that day have the same stock bhp that you have.

AndyH said:
996 TT priced drop so much?

Aren't those new at around $120K VS $80K for 02 NSX? and they both almost around the same price now?
ahha i was just going to say that.
talk about insane depreciation :tongue:

melmark said:
but I've been VERY tempted with the CL55 AMG and 911 turbo which can both be had for 60-65k with low miles (2003 500hp CL, 2002 420hp 911). Both of these are world class coupes.

You said it your self, the NSX has the "WOW" factor. :wink: and reliability? It's a HONDA

Do your self a favor,,,, drive the 911 and CLS55 see if u like it.
Another persons feedback regrinding the 2 cars in question may necessarily not be the same to you.

Maintenance wise, you know MB will get you in parts cost and labor unless you get the extended warranty, and even with the warranty trust me, the dealer will still try to get out of the warranty coverage. :mad:

About the 911 I cant comment on the reliability, parts cost and labor coz I have never owned one.

Since your willing to spend another $60K why not just go get an 02+?

whatever u decide. good luck :smile:

Last edited:
Back