City of Newport Beach Sued For Damaging Wheels and Tires worth $8,800

I know this might interest many of you guys since many of you guys have expensive rims and/or slammed to the ground

City blamed for destroying chrome rims worth $8,800
Wheels and tires damaged by road conditions, claim says.
By JEFF OVERLEY
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER
Comments 70 | Recommend 2

NEWPORT BEACH – You know those movie chase scenes where the sports car zooms over a crest in the road, catches a little air and then keeps speeding along? Doesn't work out so well in real life.

Not if Bernard Steimann's story is true, that is. The 27-year-old Costa Mesa resident has filed a legal claim against the city of Newport Beach, saying a four-inch-tall ledge on a street that was under construction flattened his luxury sedan's tires and destroyed its 20-inch wheels.

Steimann has received loaner wheels for his Mercedes-Benz CLS-550, but to get back rollin' on dubs permanently, he wants $8,836 – the cost of replacing his full chrome Vellano rims and accompanying low-profile tires.

He's also asking for $450 to cover the cost of the vehicle he rented from a friend following the Aug. 7 incident.

According to Steimann's written claim, his fiancee was driving the Mercedes about 20-25 mph at night along Irvine Avenue at Mesa Drive when it hit the uneven section of road.

"It sounded as though the entire car was going to fall apart and (that) I had just driven into a wall," the claim says.

Seconds later, dashboard lights began flashing and an onboard computer stated "severe tire malfunction," leading the fiancee to pull over and call for assistance. In the end, all the wheels were "severely bent/cracked," and air would not stay in any of the tires, the claim says.

In an interview, Steimann said Newport Beach officials haven't formally acted on the claim, which is a required precursor to any lawsuit.

City officials did not immediately have a comment, and it is not clear they are responsible. That road construction project was a county effort, Newport Beach officials said previously.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/claim-newport-beach-2590951-steimann-wheels

I had something similar happen to me in the RX7.

In Nor cal.

There was some new asphalt being laid down and they carved out the roads.

Didn't put a sign that there will be a 1.5" acute increase in road height from where the layer of asphalt was not shaved off.

I had 17"s and hit it like a curb at 50MPH (posted limit). It was a loud double thud.

Instantly my driver side ground control sleeve failed on the Koni and slid all the way down.

My tire was rubbing the fender liner and through some wiring by the time I pulled over.

I called Caltrain and at first they said that they were going to pay for it.

Then when they sent out an "expert" how was a retired cop.

he saw that the car was lowered, had after market wheels, etc. he told me no $$$$ for me and reminded me that driving a car was NOT a RIGHT.

Back