Chinese Food Recipes?

I like to cook lots of different foods. One of my favorite foods is chinese food, but I have absolutely no recipes. Anybody want to help out? I really like Kung Pao Chicken. So if someone has that, great!

I worked in a Chinese restaurant when I was in high school/first few years of college so I still remember the basic recipes. I started washing dishes and they let me start using knifes, peeling onions, then chopping. Eventually this american kid was cooking fried rice and some deep fry meals.

The basic sauce for meals is usually the same between restaurants but the recipes and ingredients vary. Even the style of cooking differs, some cook szechuan style where most items are deep fried before combining into the sauce and some are cooked more traditional cantonese style where the meats are cooks, then veggies, then sauce is added.

The way the sauce is made is as follows:
-heat pan, add oil and minced garlic (crushed red pepper, minced ginger would also go in now)
-add meat, stir till almost cooked and add veggies
-squirt some dry sherry, add chicken stock (you can just use water) and cover
-that's when you start putting the seasonings together in a bowl or equivalent
-here's where it gets dicey, rarely does a chef follow a recipe, he just has a feel for how much salt pepper etc to add. I add about 3/4 tsp for every full plate of food (roughly) 1/3 tsp pepper, thin and thick soy (can substitute mushroom soy for thick soy).... yes you will need to take a trip to the asian grocery :)
-last step is to thicken the sauce, add some corn starch to a bowl, then add water to it and mix it well, consistency should allow for the mixture to coat the back of a spoon, thinner than a milk shake.

For kung pao, we used dark meat diced chicken, diced onions and celery, crushed red peppers (spicy kind). Make it dark and spicy! The thick soy darkens it, don't use too much, maybe a tbspn max. Edit: a staple ingredient for kung pao is regular peanuts.

All these steps happen very quickly over high heat, otherwise you will overcook the food. I still cook quite a bit and my wife also has some very good recipes from the phillipines.

good luck

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for the write up! I'll definetely use some of that info. So I don't want to look like an idiot when I go to the Asian market. Is it just called, "thick soy" "dark soy" or whatever? Are these the same thing? There is no "sauce" that you use just for this recipe? It's just the soy? I think I'll get everything this weekend and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again!

White92 said:
Wow! Thanks for the write up! I'll definetely use some of that info. So I don't want to look like an idiot when I go to the Asian market. Is it just called, "thick soy" "dark soy" or whatever? Are these the same thing? There is no "sauce" that you use just for this recipe? It's just the soy? I think I'll get everything this weekend and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again!

It's called thick soy sauce or you can substitute mushroom soy sauce. Thick soy is kind of like molasses and mushroom is thinner and a little salty. Either one will darken the sauce.

As far as finding a generic "sauce" that you can use, yes, they are out there but you probably will not find anything that is real good.... at least I never could. Always use fresh garlic crushed but when it comes to making the sauce spicy, use dried red pepper.

So your asian grocery list: Thick or mushroom soy, regular soy sauce, dried red pepper, and if you enjoy experimenting a little, get dried salted black beans (for later use). They add great flavor to a few recipes.

Feel free to PM me with questions also.

haha Thanks for the link to Amazon. I've had a $10 credit there for awhile and had no idea what to do with it. I think I'll buy this book. Thanks again.

Back