Checked out a nice 91 berlina last night.

Last night on my way to dinner I stopped at a dealer to check out a 91 Berlina black they had advertised.(VIN # JH4NA1153MT002363) So I figured I'd pass on what little info I could about it.
Here is the ad: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/ctd/2698149237.html

It was dark and I only spent 15-20 minutes checking it out, but since I've finally gone from "One day I'll have one" to "Scouring the internet trying to find the right one" I didn't want to miss the chance to see it while I was in the area. I am by no means an expert, but this car was in pretty nice shape and was very, very clean. I couldn't see everything perfectly, but some slight wear on the drivers seat bolster was the only flaw I saw. Again I will say it was dark and I'm not an expert. The dealer didn't have a lot of info on it. No service records. I did a search here on prime and only got two links, both from 2004.

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33600&highlight=J

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40455&

From those threads it looks like the tb/wp was done in 2003. Also, the A/C condenser was replaced,and new window regulators installed.
The car was stock in those threads and now has several aftermarket parts: exhaust, suspension, wheels, steering wheel, stereo amplifier, clear bra, are what I saw. Maybe some primers have more info?

The dealer wants 40k for it. While it is nice and has very low miles(56k) in this economy I don't think it's worth quite that much, and at that price it's out of my range. I know a lot of people are looking for a nice nsx right now so maybe this one would be worth someones time to check out. Also, we are lucky enough in AZ to have Science of Speed here and the dealer said they would have no problem with an independent shop doing a PPI and compression / leak down test.

Hope this maybe helps someone who's looking.

-Joe

Pretty sure that's Mugen Kid's old car.

Last edited:
OP, I went and checked that car out on sat during the day. I was turned away by the chop job on the passenger side carpet. The front and rear valences needed to be repainted and the right rear tail light had moisture. Besides being over priced and having to pay sales tax on top, I'll keep looking for something more stock.

Nothing horrible about the car just not what I'm looking for. :)

I'm quite certain that it's his former car since I've rode in it before

Looks like same exhaust, definitely a loud puppy.. can't recall which it was

His new ride is really nice, not an NSX, although a damn good looking car, ask him about it...

On specs alone, a 1991 with 56K miles isn't seeing $40K in today's market.

Just pm Mugen_Kid, he can tell you about the car, etc

Yes that is my old car, I previously owned it for 3 years. The car had 21,xxx when I bought it from Chris at SOS in 05/08. And yes this was his previous car before me. When I bought the car they replaced the motor and everything that needed attention like timing belt, WP, clutch and fluids. I replaced all the coolant hoses right after I bought the car. From day one, all I performed were oil changes and tranny flushes. I can also say that I am one anal bastard when it comes to my cars and this car is in awesome shape. The two front fenders do have some small cracks in the paint from when I bought it. I traded it in at Acura North Scottsdale and someone managed to back into the front bumper so that was also repainted. I can say there has never been any paint work done and the exterior is flawless for a black 20 year old car with the current mileage, well it was when I had it anyway. Also if I had to guess there are at least 4-5 maybe more owners of this vehicle. This car is way over priced as some of you have mentioned. I will be back in the NSX as soon as I can, and hoping to be a +02. Also I have feeling more people may PM about the car so please leave your phone number so I can call you and go into detail about this car.

It was a very hard decision to do on my part to get rid of the NSX but things are tight and I need to focus on some more important things in life right now.
I picked up an Acura ZDX Advanced and im only down to one car now. I know this car gets a lot of bad reviews and comments about the looks. I personally needed a car like this and it suits me perfect for being single. Heres a couple photos:

150-1.jpg

042.jpg

Last edited:
This is the second or third time it's been on ebay. The price never gets high enough to meet the reserve. I don't know why they think this car is worth so much. I spoke with mugen_kid about this car. He was pretty cool and was nice enough to give me lots more info about it.

40k? Its a nice car, but how about YOU try selling it for 40k after you buy it. Its not going to happen. I want what they're smoking.

So rather than start a new thread I figured I'd just update this one. I ended up purchasing this car. Here is my story:

Like almost everyone here I have wanted an nsx since it came out. I joined this forum in 2006, but lurked on here for several years before that. Around August/September last year I finally was able to "for real" shop for one. I first saw this car in November and as was stated before the dealership wanted 40k. I made an 'out the door' offer. The guy didn't quite laugh at me, but I got the feeling he wanted to. I contacted them again in late December and made a higher offer, but still an out the door price. They once again declined. Oh well, I'll keep looking.

Fast forward to the 11th of this month and I get an email from the dealership. I don't remember all the salesman blather that was in it, but basically it said this: "Hey, Joe this car has been sitting here for longer than we thought it would, maybe we should be more flexible on our price." So I replied back with my same offer.(If you would like to know the price pm me and I'll tell you. I know people like to know these things.) They accepted and I was at the dealership the next morning. Got a ppi done by science of speed. Everything checks out and it's back to sign papers. I financed through Pentagon Federal(They have great rates) and they send hard checks. So I have to wait until I get the check to drive her home. The longest 4.5 days ever.

I pick the car up Tuesday morning(called in sick. cough cough) and first thing got it raised up 3/4 inch and had an alignment done. Much better. This car is awesome. I love driving it. I can also foresee a lot of my money being poured into it. Yesterday I installed a shark antenna, and replaced the taillight gaskets. To avoid embarrassing myself I won't tell you how long I tried to thread the nut for the antenna through the trunk before I realized that since I still had the taillights off I could just reach through there and do it in 2 seconds. Today I changed the oil and installed fumoto valve plus a new air filter. I wanted to do the oil the lazy way like in the wiki(See I know how to search), but there was no way. I had some wood laying around so I built some ramps to raise it high enough to get my jack under. With the car on 4 jack stands it's a piece of cake. Parts purchased, but yet to be installed: New master and slave cylinder, USA Spec Ipod adapter, STMPO motor mounts, and a coil pack. One was found to be corroded at the ppi.

Well that's about it. I'm not usually long winded, but I'm so happy to have this car. It feels amazing. Hopefully I can start going to some meets now. I know I would have been welcome before, but I would have felt weird. That's just how I am. Oh and so this thread isn't worthless here a couple pics.

-Joe

...I really do hope this gets sold out of state so I dont have to look at it anymore...

Nope, no such luck.

Congrats to Joe on the "new to you" ride
and for keeping it in the valley to drive mugen_kid batshit :biggrin:

If you wanna hang out/drive/etc, just hit up the Phoenix section

nice.

dont worry about what people say about the car. it needs some work but thats the fun of bringing it back to MINT status.

I bought my 92 and broke ever rule when buying a used NSX
other Anal members would have ran away from my NSX but
turned out mine was a diamond that needed some TLC
she is mint now. by my hands.

great you finally purchased your dream car. but your right your wallet
has entered a new realm of abuse. trust me.
I started with one, and happy but my urge kept pushing me to get another and another and another. now I am up to my a_s is NSX's and NSX parts.:biggrin:
I wouldnt have it any other way

if you need parts PM me I have 4 of just about everything LOL

Last edited:
So rather than start a new thread I figured I'd just update this one. I ended up purchasing this car. Here is my story:

Like almost everyone here I have wanted an nsx since it came out. I joined this forum in 2006, but lurked on here for several years before that. Around August/September last year I finally was able to "for real" shop for one. I first saw this car in November and as was stated before the dealership wanted 40k. I made an 'out the door' offer. The guy didn't quite laugh at me, but I got the feeling he wanted to. I contacted them again in late December and made a higher offer, but still an out the door price. They once again declined. Oh well, I'll keep looking.

Fast forward to the 11th of this month and I get an email from the dealership. I don't remember all the salesman blather that was in it, but basically it said this: "Hey, Joe this car has been sitting here for longer than we thought it would, maybe we should be more flexible on our price." So I replied back with my same offer.(If you would like to know the price pm me and I'll tell you. I know people like to know these things.) They accepted and I was at the dealership the next morning. Got a ppi done by science of speed. Everything checks out and it's back to sign papers. I financed through Pentagon Federal(They have great rates) and they send hard checks. So I have to wait until I get the check to drive her home. The longest 4.5 days ever.

I pick the car up Tuesday morning(called in sick. cough cough) and first thing got it raised up 3/4 inch and had an alignment done. Much better. This car is awesome. I love driving it. I can also foresee a lot of my money being poured into it. Yesterday I installed a shark antenna, and replaced the taillight gaskets. To avoid embarrassing myself I won't tell you how long I tried to thread the nut for the antenna through the trunk before I realized that since I still had the taillights off I could just reach through there and do it in 2 seconds. Today I changed the oil and installed fumoto valve plus a new air filter. I wanted to do the oil the lazy way like in the wiki(See I know how to search), but there was no way. I had some wood laying around so I built some ramps to raise it high enough to get my jack under. With the car on 4 jack stands it's a piece of cake. Parts purchased, but yet to be installed: New master and slave cylinder, USA Spec Ipod adapter, STMPO motor mounts, and a coil pack. One was found to be corroded at the ppi.

Well that's about it. I'm not usually long winded, but I'm so happy to have this car. It feels amazing. Hopefully I can start going to some meets now. I know I would have been welcome before, but I would have felt weird. That's just how I am. Oh and so this thread isn't worthless here a couple pics.

-Joe

congrats man... finally found one

Congrats Joe!

I've been eyeing a few NSX at the dealerships, but their super high 'dealer' prices makes me not even want to make an offer. Your successful purchase will give me the confident to go out this weekend to make a few offers.

Thanks!

Car looks great.

Love it.
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to prime in being an owner!!

The stance on mugen_kid's ride was perfect and you ruin it? jk :biggrin:

Congrats and look forward to seeing it!

The stance was nice, but the wheels rubbing on every dip and the scraping of the front lip on even a slight incline were not nice.:frown: It still looks great even though it's a bit higher. :biggrin:

Nice to hear a happy ending for this thread; demonstrates the power of walking in to a dealership with what you know is the right price and walking right back out until they figure it out. Car looks great, I am glad your patience was rewarded with such a sweet prize!

Back