Check your battery hold-down

Hi everyone,

I am getting ready to install a new battery in my car and have removed most of the parts. I don't know if all years are the same but the bracket on my 2002 is rubber coated steel. When i removed it i noticed where the rubber had dried out and cracked in a couple of spots. I removed the rubber from the bracket and where it had cracked it had allowed water under the rubber. The bracket is bare metal covered with rubber so rust had started to form under the rubber. I cleaned the bracket up and put on three coats of primer and three coats of flat black paint. I could have purchased a new one but it would probably do the same thing and for $35 for the bracket it would not be worth it. Mine actually looks better now than with the rubber coating.

If you see any cracks in the rubber, you might as well fix it now. It will only get worse with time.

btw...You can purchase new hold-down bolts and terminal bolts and nuts for around $20. I am replacing mine with the new battery. (If the battery ever arrives)

Hello, bringing back an old thread...

After purchasing my car, something did not look right in the battery area since the battery was sliding left/right. After some quick research, I found that my battery tie-down bracket was missing. Not a big deal since a replacement easily fixed the issue.

However, during my research and looking at photos from various owners (including the classifieds) I noticed that my car was not the only one missing the bracket. Some photos showed evidence of rust (similar to the above posts). It appears to be common to drive without the bracket?

I'm just interested if any of you have removed your bracket. Was it because it did not fit your new battery? Just curious about your reasons in case I need to prepare myself for the future such as avoiding certain batteries or getting a spare before they are out of stock?

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...n-Bracket-and-Bolts?highlight=battery+bracket According this post, they are discontinued...maybe too late for spares? :frown:

(FYI, I am talking about the OEM spec battery and not the small/lighter Odyssey style battery).

Thanks

Hello, bringing back an old thread...

After purchasing my car, something did not look right in the battery area since the battery was sliding left/right. After some quick research, I found that my battery tie-down bracket was missing. Not a big deal since a replacement easily fixed the issue.

However, during my research and looking at photos from various owners (including the classifieds) I noticed that my car was not the only one missing the bracket. Some photos showed evidence of rust (similar to the above posts). It appears to be common to drive without the bracket?

I'm just interested if any of you have removed your bracket. Was it because it did not fit your new battery? Just curious about your reasons in case I need to prepare myself for the future such as avoiding certain batteries or getting a spare before they are out of stock?

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...n-Bracket-and-Bolts?highlight=battery+bracket According this post, they are discontinued...maybe too late for spares? :frown:

(FYI, I am talking about the OEM spec battery and not the small/lighter Odyssey style battery).

Thanks

I actually had the same issue. The PO had a light weight battery zip tied down. I replaced it with a Group 35 battery and purchased the necessary hardware

Here's what you need:
(2) 31513-SL4-000 Bolt (rod)
(1) 31512-SL0-010 Hold down bracket
(2) 94050-06080 Nut
(1) 31512-SL0-000 Battery box

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-...ectrical-exhaust-heater-fuel-cat/battery-scat

Thanks I_M_Legend, good idea for listing the PN to help future owners and it is also nice to know parts are still available...for now. :)

I know it has been mentioned already, it would be nice if the wiki page could be updated. With our cars getting older and a wave of new owners (hello), it would be valuable to provide additional information.

Interesting that your bracket was also missing. Glad to know I was not the only one that missed that little detail when purchasing the car.

Looks like the bracket is still available as of 7/18. Another easy fix is to remove all the original coating, clean up the rust, prime it and then re-coat with Plastic-Dip (the stuff you dip tool handles in.)

Thanks

In the search for reduced weight, there were probably a number of people who may have switched to the smaller battery used in the Zanardi (and maybe the R and S versions of the NSX). In that link provided by I_M_Legend, you will notice a picture of an alternate battery mount; but, there are no part numbers provided. You have to call up the equivalent parts diagram for 1999 to get the part numbers because 1999 was the only year the Zanardi was offered. I suspect; but, don't know for sure that a number of people may have purchased the smaller battery for the Zanardi; but, did not bother to purchase the associated mounting hardware. I believe that if you try to use the larger battery retaining bracket with the smaller Zanardi battery you will create or risk creating a dead short across the battery terminals. That probably results in the original bracket going missing following the implementation of an ad hoc battery mounting scheme which they never get around to fixing.

Anyway, that is my speculation on the missing brackets.

For those of you with rusty / corroded brackets, my fix was remove the remaining plastic coating, soak the bracket in a dilute solution of muriatic acid for heavy rust removal (yes, yes I know - hydrogen embrittlement), treat with some POR metal prep and then a couple of coats of POR 15 black. The POR 15 provides a fairly thick chip resistant durable black finish on the bracket which should be more corrosion resistant than the original coating. If you want a more OEM look you can spray over the POR 15 with Plasti Dip.

Last edited:
Wavey1 said:
Looks like the bracket is still available as of 7/18.
:)

Old Guy said:
....risk creating a dead short across the battery terminals. That probably results in the original bracket going missing following the implementation of an ad hoc battery mounting scheme which they never get around to fixing.

Anyway, that is my speculation on the missing brackets.

Thanks for your input and restoration tips.

I thought it was a unconventional design to the bracket follow across the battery terminals, but understand the space limitation preventing a more traditional bracket going across the middle. You are probably right about folks returning their car back to stock and have misplaced the bracket in storage. There are worse things to misplace. :D

Back