Check my work - Passenger window inop

Took my car to get a much-needed detailing and when I got it back (2 hours away), I found the passenger window doesn't work from either the driver's or passenger side. IDK, maybe some detailing sauce got into the switch(s)? Anyway, I took the driver's door panel off to try to diagnose. Looking at page 23-265 of the service manual, with switch up, I have continuity on 4-11, but not 9-10. Down, I have it on 4-10, but not 9-11. The wiring diagram says 9 is the ground (I think). Those smarter than I am, would this scenario also stop the passenger-side switch control from working? I'm not sure how the two sides interact. Looking to confirm what I think I'm seeing with the switch could cause both switches to not work before I pull the switch off and try to "clean" it with electrical cleaner.

Yeah, no difference. But that wouldn't impact controlling the passenger side window from the driver's side control, would it? Honestly I can't remember.

Well, looking at the diagram, it does appear that the ON/Main switch does control the driver's side passenger switch (too). At least it appears to...I'm not an electrical type. So maybe That switch is what got messed up.

OK, so I finally pulled the switch unit out and tested the ON/Main switch for continuity across it's poles in either switch position and nada. So I assume that's the problem. Next I'll try to pull the switch unit itself out and squirt some electrical cleaner in there and cross my fingers. Next is new switch time I guess.

And maybe jumper the switch out of the equation and see if everything works before I continue with my assumptions.

Well, after pulling the master on/off switch out and testing it over and over, it seems to be bad. I can get continuity about 25% of the time. "Cleaning" it doesn't really seem like the problem, just age. Detailing was just bad timing I guess. Time for a new post asking if anyone has ordered a new switch unit from Japan...that's all I see on ebay.

If your passenger window does not work from either the driver side or the passenger side the problem is
- the main switch has failed The main switch controls just the passenger side window. It should be easy to put a jumper in place of the main switch to test this out.
- fuse #47 has blown
- the window regulator motor has failed
- you have a problem with a failed connection in the wiring harness
- both the driver's and passenger's side switches have failed simultaneously which would be very low probability

Back