Cheaper V8 Gallardo coming next?

If honda won't do it.....Maybe lambo will give us another choice in the mid-engine class

Lamborghini Gallardo V8 Prototype Spied
Text by Glenn Paulina
Copyright by KGP Photography
June 19, 2007

http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphot...ghini/lamborghini-gallardo-v8-prototype-spied

This involves a little speculation here, but our sources at the Nürburgring have photographed what may be a V8-powered Lamborghini Gallardo prototype. A slightly revised front fascia, and a visibly reworked exhaust out back suggest that some engine changes are being explored. This Gallardo is reportedly being benchmarked with an Audi RS4, which is powered by a high-revving 420 hp V8 4.2FSI power plant. The RS4's V8 would be a logical engine choice if Lamborghini decides to move ahead with a slightly more sedate (and affordable) Gallardo variant. Our Ring spies tell us that this revised Gallardo is noticeably quieter than the typical V10-powered version, when running all-out on the track.

Nice!

6070619.002.1M.jpg

In a bid to boost Gallardo sales – and reduce development costs by borrowing from sister company Audi – Lamborghini engineers have dropped the R8's 420bhp eight-cylinder into the Gallardo's midship engine bay to create a new entry level Lamborghini that will sit below the current V10 model but above the Audi R8.

So this is a cut-price Gallardo?

That's the thinking behind pilfering Audi's powerplant, but it's all relative, remember. The current V10 Gallardo costs £127,000, so expect this new derivative to cost around £105,000 – a decent saving but still enough of a premium over the £76,825 Audi R8 to justify its Raging Bull badge. Expect it to arrive at the Geneva motor show early next year, with a Spyder to follow for the start of 2009, neatly fulfilling Lamborghini's promise of a 'new' model each year.

It may steal the R8's engine, but don't expect the Gallardo to play second fiddle to the Audi. Although the superb V8 will get a mild power hike to around 430bhp, the Gallardo's lighter kerbweight (130kg less than the R8's) will give it a useful – and, from a marketing point of view, absolutely essential – in-gear performance advantage over the R8. Expect it to rip to 60mph in 4.5 seconds and on to a 195mph top speed.

Hmmm – but isn't a V10-powered R8 in the pipeline too?

Yes, it's all quite confusing. Audi will pull the wraps off a V10-powered R8 within the next 18 months, giving plenty of time to allow sales of the R8 to bed in and warm up buyers to the thought of a V8 Gallardo. The tricky bit will be pricing the hotter 500bhp R8 to distance it far enough from the standard R8 without stepping on the toes of the V8 Gallardo. We reckon on £95,000 for the V10 R8 – a decent premium over the eight-pot R8 but still shy of the entry-level Gallardo. Here's the article:
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/secret_...sid=814&page=1

Also... http://www.petrol-head.com/2007/06/spyshots_lambor.html
"So why Audi would sell a cheaper Gallardo, that would be able to compete with the R8? Audi can't build enough R8 to satisfy demand because of fibre panels that are difficult to make. It can only build 20 R8 a day.

Selling a cheaper Gallardo with the same engine as the R8 would enable Audi to redirect the unsatisfied demand to the Italian carmaker. Obviously the V8 Gallardo would be more expensive than the equivalent R8 but it has enough sex-appeal to justify it."

Last edited:
I would agree that the less expensive Lambo would be appealing to me. At this point in life I don't need a million HP to make me happy. I want a balanced MR exotic that is semi-affordable (relative to me).

Also the look and style (R8 vs. Gallardo) is so different, that I think that it won't have a negative sales impact on either. All I can say is it is a great time for car enthusiasts everywhere. There are some amazing choices out there with more to come :biggrin: ......Steve

I may be interested. Hope this new Gallardo bring the used market $ down. I'm guessing this new version is probably faster than exsisting V10 versions on the road track since the R8 is doing a good job already.

I don't know. Even after reading, I just don't see why Audi/Lamborghini would do this. Gallardo's start at around 160k, right? And I'm guessing the R8 is starting at around 100k right now. That leaves a 60k gap. They're going to make 2 more cars to fill up that 60k gap?! Doesn't seem smart to me. Keep the 2 R8s, and the V10 Gallardo. If anything, Lambo should be developing a GT car, similar to a Bentley CGT.

I don't know. Even after reading, I just don't see why Audi/Lamborghini would do this. Gallardo's start at around 160k, right? And I'm guessing the R8 is starting at around 100k right now. That leaves a 60k gap. They're going to make 2 more cars to fill up that 60k gap?! Doesn't seem smart to me. Keep the 2 R8s, and the V10 Gallardo. If anything, Lambo should be developing a GT car, similar to a Bentley CGT.

FYI, The VW Group owns Bentley, and Bentley has always been known more for luxury with a tad of sportiness rather than for their exotic nature.

A V8 Gallardo that has substantially less weight than the V10 Gallardo would appeal to a lot of folks who want a lighter car. If they can get rid of the AWD that would make the car even lighter :)

Back