Cheap NSX Turbo Kit

I'd like to get an idea of what you guys would consider to be an affordable price for a good quality intercooled turbo kit for the NSX. (Please be realistic!)

An idea of how many people would be interested in such a kit would also be helpfull.

Any suggestions or requests as to the overall design, layout and components would also be appreciated (for example: twin or single? Garrett BB or other turbo? water/air or air/air intercooler? stand alone ecu or black box? Motec or AEM?, etc.....)

Thanks.

Well that depends on what you mean by similar. I can't think of any car that is similar to an NSX except another NSX. Transverse mounted mid engine V6? I cant think of any thing else :confused:

I would think a pricepoint at about $6500 would be a great place to start. What does 6psi get you? I think a target of 400rwhp would be perfect and Factor X has shown it can be done on stock internals. As far as a fuel management system, the AEM seems to be a reasonable price compared to the others and works well from what I have read.

Well by similar I mean, similar sized (3.0l), similar configuration (V6). I know there aren't any other cars like the NSX in terms of engine configuration these days, but what would a Nissan 350Z turbo kit cost? If the price for an NSX kit is more, then, go into details as to why it would cost more.

But you're asking what a cheap turbo kit should cost, and sounding like you want to produce one. So I want a kit that doesn't cost much more, than a kit for similar cars would cost.

Hope that helps.

Thank's for the feedback.

NetViper: I have managed 328WHP from a stock engined (11.7:1) S2000 at 6 PSI so I'm sure 400WHP would be reasonably easy with the NSX.

j14nsx: Yes, that makes sense. The main issue for me is engine management. My instinct is to go for Motec, but it adds a significant cost to a kit. Here in Australia there are many different management systems available, and I know a few guys that can make "black box" interceptors that are quite successful. The thing with Motec is it will work no matter what level you take the kit to in future.

HYPERTUNE said:
.... The main issue for me is engine management. My instinct is to go for Motec, but it adds a significant cost to a kit. ...
That's the whole crux right there. "Black boxes" have been tried on the NSX with disastrous consequences. AEM is probably the most cost effective solution at less than half the cost of Motec or Electromotive while affording full tunability w/o the need for all the custom add-on sensors that drive the cost even higher with the others mentioned.

Maybe we can ask the question back at you - how much is your s2000 kit & what does that comprise of?

A kit I would be interested in would have all the custom hardware - the turbo exhaust & intake plumbing, intercooler etc and leave the readily sourcable items to the end-user - engine management & other electronics, injectors, fuel pump & FPR, etc.

Last edited:
I think there is no cheap turbo kit for nsx. I learn it the hard way, but if there are vendors that could get the parts on lower price is OK. Here are some parts too look at.

*AEM ECU
*AEM FPR
*AEM Wideband
*AEM fuel filter
*RC Injectors 440cc or 550cc
*Walbro intank fuel pump
*Tial BOV (I think 42mm)
*Tial wastegate (38mm or bigger)
*Turbo charger (single .63 or bigger)
*2.5 aluminum intercooler piping
*2.5 exhaust pipe to 3" exhaust
*Exhaust "Megaflow or other 2 in to 1"
*Oil in and out for turbocharger ( dilema with diffrent ways. turbo too low)
*Intercooler (water cooled prefered)
*Turbo air filter
*Boost guage
*Iridium cold spark plugs
*SOS VVIS intake plate
*All the silicone joints, T-bolt clamps, wiring etc....

I might be forgetting something, so please fill it in.

Last edited:
I had a feeling you were in Australia. I must of come across your website before. Having the kit made in Aus, and then bought over here, is probably going to make it cheaper than other kits that are made over here anyway.

There are already people that make high power kits. Why not do something simple, but above all reliable? I'd take reliability and an installation that looks stock over a high power kit.

D'Ecosse said:
Maybe we can ask the question back at you - how much is your s2000 kit & what does that comprise of?

Well, I have never made a kit version of the S2000 setup. The main reason being that it would not adapt easily to LHD vehicles. I used Motec (First S2000 in the world running Motec :D ) HKS GT3040, and many other high end parts, making the setup quite expensive.

The First S2000 I did is just about to undergo a major reconstruction (Finally, after about 3 years!) and should be quite impressive when finished.

Greddy's kit for the 350Z with an intercooler goes for $6000. That is with an e-manage ECU. Figure an extra grand for the AEM stand alone, but you could save that by making a single turbo kit -vs- a twin. 6psi would be a nice number for reliability. I think a lot of would-be NSX FI guys are gun shy because of all of the blown motors. If you can figure out a way to keep a straight 12.0 AFR line to fuel-cut @ 6psi day in day out, sign me up!

T Bell said:
... I think a lot of would-be NSX FI guys are gun shy because of all of the blown motors. ...
But you know T, all the blown motors are from attempts to short-cut the situation i.e. come up with a cheap solution with a piggy-back deal. The NSX is such a limited market however guys like Greddy, just don't cater to it effectively. Just ask Tunapie how long he messed around with the emanage before he broke down & spent the $3K or whatever on theTEC3.
At potentially 25+% of the cost just in the controller (using AEM: - MOTEC, TEC3 etc considerably more!) trying to find a piggy-back style controller was a driving factor in trying to reach a cost-effective solution (especially before AEM). But obviously you need the full capability of those controllers to get the resultant fuel control necessary to safely run those boost levels.
Fortunately the AEM big honcho was an NSX fan so put the $$ into getting that done - must be a tough return on investment though, but who are we to complain
Comptech are the only ones who have succeeded with no problems - I'm convinced they are leaving a lot of power on the table however & I think if I had that solution I'd be using an AEM (except if I was going to invest that kind of money in a system, then turbo makes much more cost effective plan, especially if you add even AEM Controller to the cost of CT kit.)

HYPERTUNE said:
I'd like to get an idea of what you guys would consider to be an affordable price for a good quality intercooled turbo kit for the NSX. (Please be realistic!)

An idea of how many people would be interested in such a kit would also be helpfull.

Any suggestions or requests as to the overall design, layout and components would also be appreciated (for example: twin or single? Garrett BB or other turbo? water/air or air/air intercooler? stand alone ecu or black box? Motec or AEM?, etc.....)

Thanks.

I'm thinking low boost to maintain stock internals...

Bolt on kit made from off the shelf parts with quality levels as would be expected in an NSX...

Small turbo to stop the wick been turned up on it and blowing the motor.

400 RWHP but no more than 450 else gearboxes/driveshafts etc will also need upgrading...

Price: USD 5,000-7,500
= AUD 7,500-10,000

Just my thoughts.... I'd buy it tomorrow if it was available!

AU_NSX said:
I'm thinking low boost to maintain stock internals...

Bolt on kit made from off the shelf parts with quality levels as would be expected in an NSX...

Small turbo to stop the wick been turned up on it and blowing the motor.

400 RWHP but no more than 450 else gearboxes/driveshafts etc will also need upgrading...

Price: USD 5,000-7,500
= AUD 7,500-10,000

Just my thoughts.... I'd buy it tomorrow if it was available!

It will be available, but tomorrow? That would be difficult! ;)
Small turbo is not necessarily a good idea, as although it will limit boost at high RPM, it would still be capable of big boost at low RPM, which is probably worse for a high comp engine. Bigger turbos also give less exhaust pressure and temp which makes the engines life a little easier.

HYPERTUNE said:
Small turbo is not necessarily a good idea, as although it will limit boost at high RPM, it would still be capable of big boost at low RPM, which is probably worse for a high comp engine. Bigger turbos also give less exhaust pressure and temp which makes the engines life a little easier.

Shows how much I know about engines...

Good thing I'm a civil engineer and not a mechanical ehh?!

Where are you based? Are you working on a system?

Welcome Hypertune!
Sounds promising!
You own a shop ??
There was a member in Adelaide that just had their TT NSX have a blowned engine.

Anyways good to hear more Aussie tuners coming along.

ajnsx said:
Taren point eh? Danny hoang and cybermotorsports out there still? That's a man who can make bodykits! :)

Not only does he make good bodykits, but he is a nice guy too!

I think he is going to be surprised to see me a Taren Point. Haven't seen him for a while. I could almost throw a rock at his place from our new factory.

Not only does he make good bodykits, but he is a nice guy too!

I know, helped me out with my last project. If i was doing my nsx back home he's the first person i would see. If do you see him tell him Aaron from Adelaide says hi, he'll remember me if you mention my purple crx :D

"CHEAP NSX TURBO KIT"

sounds like any oxymoron to me :D

Back