Cheap Mid-Life crisis

Ok - I'll admit it - I had a full blown midlife crisis and had to buy fun car after many years of driving a company issued Taurus. After looking at many different cars, I was torn between a old NSX and a new Corvette. They both met the spec of making my heart beat faster when I drove it. This all was about 18 months ago. I chose an NSX and I'm very happy with it but my analytical side was very interested in which of the two cars would have cost more. When I first bought the car it needed about $4,000 worth of fixes and preventative maintenance (Hoses, belts, tires, other rubber things!). It's tough to write big checks like that but compared to the costs of a New Corvette, it's still a deal.

I was looking at a basic coupe that would cost $45-$48K in 2002. I just checked - it's only worth $35K today! My NSX is a 91 that cost $26K and it still seems to be a good ballpark price for one. Even assuming a $3K drop, I'm still ahead by >$10K. More savings from the loan difference adds $4K to the NSX choice. The net difference is more than $1K/month! While the corvette depreciation does slow down it's still pretty big. It's a good thing to remember when visiting the dealer for a repair!

I have thought about a 97-99 Vette as a cheaper alternative, but the NSX is my LOVE, and i stayed with it. I will be on my third one here shortly, and figure to own a NSX in my garage for the rest of my days, along with a 360 in about 3-5 years.

I really liked the Corvette but worried about the reliability and I have 3 children who I want to be able to ride in the car so I needed either no airbag '91 NSX or a 2001+ Corvette with the factory airbag disable switch.

Mid-Life

I'm going through my own. Hit 50 in may. Anyway, I've had a couple of vettes. I like the look of the new ones, but just couldn't bring myself to it. Poor fit and finish on the interior, lots of em on the road,,,,etc.

I just purchased a 98 NSX (with an automatic) I'll sum it up like this... I LOVE it. It drives wonderfully, tighter then my Lexus and as solid as my mercedes and has that wonderful Honda engineering. My wife loves the automatic and personally, I probably won't miss the stick. I'm already thinking about purchasing another one. Even though I have 3 cars, the NSX will probably be my daily drive. You don't see too many on the road and it has a certain "class" about it. A seriousness about driving and how you feel about cars. My 2 cents, stick with an NSX.

ACD

Back