Changing battery with horn not shutting off

dxd

Experienced Member
Hi Everyone,

Putting in a new battery today and the horn is on a constant (not an interval beep) and the yellow lights on the side remain on. I tried locking and unlocking doors with the keys but that did not shut it off - also car just turned over and would not start. Not sure if the car has some sort of kill switch in it or not or even where to look. I know it does have a "Lo Jack" installed by the previous owner. Hoping I can get some help so I do not have to flat bed her over to the dealer.

Thanks in advance,

Dennis

there is a switch in the door that fails use the ign key on the out side passenger door. will disarm

- - - Updated - - -

now either door could be bad so replacing both is best.

- - - Updated - - -

also the lojack does not go to the new owner you have to buy a new one they come out and install a new one, years ago they would transfer or change the name of the owner in their database and your good to go but then they were losing the 499 for the install. anyway to milk people is the mentality of all companies now.

so if you car is stolen and you call lojack they will not activate it so the cops can find your car, in lojacks eyes its not installed

Tried both doors and it did not work. Not sure if the dealer needs to "reboot" something when the batteries are changed?

Changing the battery should not put the security system in the alarm mode. I disconnect and reconnect the battery every year when I put my car into storage and have never triggered an alarm. Another anomaly is that even though you can't start the car, you are able to engage the starter motor. Normally, if the security system was active or in alarm, it would activate the starter cut relay which would prevent you from engaging the starter motor. As such, I think you may have a failure in your security control unit rather a problem with one of the entry switches. That, or the residual bits of the lo jack system are screwing things up.

The test procedure for the security control unit is set out in the service manual which you can find on the Prime Wiki pages. I know zip about lo jack so unless somebody else can advise, you are on your own. Otherwise, its off to the dealership!

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. The Lo Jack was transferred to me when I purchased so I do not think that is an issue. i will just get her to the dealership - unless someone has experienced this before. I did find an old thread from 2005 when someone had the exact same thing happen but the final outcome was never stated. Any help is much appreciated ; )

Im wondering if your immobilizer system is acting up? Preventing you from starting the car. My car is a 93 so no clue on the immobilizer system.
Try one of your other key fob perhap.

Thanks for the input. The Lo Jack was transferred to me when I purchased so I do not think that is an issue. i will just get her to the dealership - unless someone has experienced this before. I did find an old thread from 2005 when someone had the exact same thing happen but the final outcome was never stated. Any help is much appreciated ; )

The first thing I would do is call Lo Jack.
This can't be the first time this has happened with them.
Have you talked to them?

if he has a lojack alarm which is the higher end version of their alarm which includes the theft recovery device LOL and they have chopped up his Ignition switch which they always do the relay they installed could be the culprit.

I would think that if its the lojack then they would need to service it, as any side show joe car alarm install place isnt going to know where lojack installed the brain etc. they hide the brain very well to the novice, PM me if you want to know the location of the brain. its in a place that NO-one will ever look

a hint: its 3m taped to a part of the car that new from the dealership cost 2300 dollars

Changing the battery should not put the security system in the alarm mode. I disconnect and reconnect the battery every year when I put my car into storage and have never triggered an alarm.

May be true of some alarm systems but not all. If my battery is completely drained, as soon as I start charging it the alarm is armed. It doesn't go off at that point but if I open a door it will. I have to remember to disarm it before I open anything on the car.

May be true of some alarm systems but not all. If my battery is completely drained, as soon as I start charging it the alarm is armed. It doesn't go off at that point but if I open a door it will. I have to remember to disarm it before I open anything on the car.

As in, not all alarm systems or not all NSX alarm systems? My comments were directed to the NSX security system and to be specific, my direct experience is with the security system in the post immobilizer cars. If your experience is with the factory security system, something about having the voltage drop off gradually due to a battery discharge and then being returned to normal through the charging process must put the security system into the self armed mode. I have another car with an aftermarket security system and I know that upon reconnecting the battery the security system wakes up armed and will instantly go into alarm because the hood is open; but, I have never had that occur on the NSX.

Last edited:
As in, not all alarm systems or not all NSX alarm systems? My comments were directed to the NSX security system and to be specific, my direct experience is with the security system in the post immobilizer cars. If your experience is with the factory security system, something about having the voltage drop off gradually due to a battery discharge and then being returned to normal through the charging process must put the security system into the self armed mode. I have another car with an aftermarket security system and I know that upon reconnecting the battery the security system wakes up armed and will instantly go into alarm because the hood is open; but, I have never had that occur on the NSX.

As in not all alarm systems. My only experience with the NSX is with an aftermarket alarm.

Back