Change in Ownership - NSX to R8

As many of you know, I was hit in Oct in my NSX and totaled it out. As much as I wanted another one, i simply couldnt get myself to pay the inflated prices that their going for from when i bought mine. So i made a change and ended up weirdly with a car Ive always wanted since I saw it at SEMA; the mysterious APR R8. Had her for a week, here she is

https://vimeo.com/148835254

This forum was extremely valuable for the time i had my NSX, ill still probably get another in the future, just not right now. Met a lot of awesome people on here and I'll be seeing some of you again at some point soonish. Fun fact tho: this forum is much better than R8 talk, takes days just to get a response over there lol

6MT, good man. How do you like the driving experience compared to the NSX? In theory I would think the R8 carries forth the same ethos of comfort, daily usability, mid-engine balance, and smooth NA power delivery.

Funny, this last weekend I was having the discussion if someone were to offer me the going rate for NSX's nowadays for mine (I just got mine for a steal) or if it was totaled what would I buy. I said Audi R8 with a gated shifter would be right up there if I felt like ponying up the coin. Awesome car!

Wow, nice! When my NSX got hit/totaled I too went through the same decision matrix. R8 was HIGH on my list but I ended up with a Ford GT (and rebuilt the NSX over a 1.5 year period).

Way to step it up Parker!
Congratulations!
Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

6MT, good man. How do you like the driving experience compared to the NSX? In theory I would think the R8 carries forth the same ethos of comfort, daily usability, mid-engine balance, and smooth NA power delivery.

They are actually really similar in the fact that they are both daily-able supercars, just one is modern and one is not, and i mean that an nsx of the same year would probably be pretty similarly equipped, there's no over the top technology that really is a wow factor (although i did just find out it has launch control while being a manual which blows my mind), just very detail and quality oriented.
The differences however do come with the feel of the drive. The R8 transmission isnt quite as smooth as my NSXs was. The clutch is vague and light. The transmission really needs to warm up to not be notchy. But probably the biggest factor is that it has Hill Assist and i hate it lol. And the obivious differences in drive feel are the AWD, the size of it and the TORQUE

O and note of interest, it has cupholders :biggrin: lol

- - - Updated - - -

Funny, this last weekend I was having the discussion if someone were to offer me the going rate for NSX's nowadays for mine (I just got mine for a steal) or if it was totaled what would I buy. I said Audi R8 with a gated shifter would be right up there if I felt like ponying up the coin. Awesome car!

I remember when yours was posted on Jalopnik for sale! that's awesome, ive always wondered if anyone ends up buying the vehicles they post. I know i actually contemplated a few of freddy's (tavarish) that hes thrown up there. Ironically he posted the one about the R8 when i was in process of mine.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, nice! When my NSX got hit/totaled I too went through the same decision matrix. R8 was HIGH on my list but I ended up with a Ford GT (and rebuilt the NSX over a 1.5 year period).

I have no idea what you got your GT for but that was definitely the better financial move for sure ha and ive heard that its almost unmatched in driving experience. And ill have to post my wreck but i dont think anyone would want to rebuild...

Last edited:
70238d176aed902aa2cba706648f3a4f.jpg
6cbcc5dffda5f9a0cb961169fcf091bc.jpg

were there any injuries in that wreck ? and if you can state on line what speeds? pm me if you'd rather.

[QUOTE

I have no idea what you got your GT for but that was definitely the better financial move for sure ha and ive heard that its almost unmatched in driving experience. And ill have to post my wreck but i dont think anyone would want to rebuild...[/QUOTE]

Okay, you win (or lose) on the "total". I could not be happier with my decision to rebuild/modify the NSX and with my GT. That being said, the R8 is surely a more complete "package"...the GT is a (thinly veiled) race car that is not so functional as a public conveyance, but that is NOT what I wanted for this car.

were there any injuries in that wreck ? and if you can state on line what speeds? pm me if you'd rather.

No injuries other than I had a hematoma in my right calf for a while. Still doesnt make sense on how that happend.

As for speeds, i was sitting still and the other car hit me at about 45

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE

I have no idea what you got your GT for but that was definitely the better financial move for sure ha and ive heard that its almost unmatched in driving experience. And ill have to post my wreck but i dont think anyone would want to rebuild...

Okay, you win (or lose) on the "total". I could not be happier with my decision to rebuild/modify the NSX and with my GT. That being said, the R8 is surely a more complete "package"...the GT is a (thinly veiled) race car that is not so functional as a public conveyance, but that is NOT what I wanted for this car.[/QUOTE]

Ha yea i wouldve liked to keep it but idk if that wouldve been a good idea. And just to clarify, when i said "i have no idea what you got your GT for" i was referring to price. When i read it back it back to myself it seemed it couldve sounded negative. But if you ever want to trade your GT for the R8 just let me know lol :wink: how does the GT compare to your de tomaso (if i remember correctly u said u have one) being both american midengine v8s?

time and time again we have seen the nsx do a remarkable job of protecting passengers.....the design of what is a small car is brilliant in energy absorption/dissipation.

Ha yea i wouldve liked to keep it but idk if that wouldve been a good idea. And just to clarify, when i said "i have no idea what you got your GT for" i was referring to price. When i read it back it back to myself it seemed it couldve sounded negative. But if you ever want to trade your GT for the R8 just let me know lol :wink: how does the GT compare to your de tomaso (if i remember correctly u said u have one) being both american midengine v8s?
#1 , I like the R8!!!
No offense perceived...we're all good!
At 100mph…
In the Pantera you are making (exhaust note) and hearing a lot of noise (wind, exhaust, road, etc…lack of refinement/insulation) and feeling a lot of feedback (steering, seat, rumble)! Mind you, none of this is necessarily bad, it’s just a visceral, big game cat. Unrefined…Sensory surplus, and slowing down can be a little challenging.
In my NSX (with CTSC and exhaust) 100 is easy, refined…pay attention but feedback mainly from the non-power steering. It is more Cheetah-like. Sensory focused on task at hand (no distractions).
The mod’d GT is like the original Millenium Falcon (Star Wars). It’s VERY wide and low and visibility out the sides and back is restricted especially in tight spaces and traffic…but it is very communicative.
Effortlessly and without any drama (from the car itself)…And when you can do 100 mph in 2nd gear (okay 98 mph,) and you have four more gears…then you (as a driver) really don’t have time to feel, think (or care) about anything aft of your 3-9 line (anything from you 3 O’clock to 9 O-clock-anything behind you). Think jumping to light speed…somewhat quietly and without drama you are at triple digits…senses are focused on not screwing this up!

Last edited:
time and time again we have seen the nsx do a remarkable job of protecting passengers.....the design of what is a small car is brilliant in energy absorption/dissipation.

It is really quite amazing how well it performed

- - - Updated - - -

#1 , I like the R8!!!
No offense perceived...we're all good!
At 100mph…
In the Pantera you are making (exhaust note) and hearing a lot of noise (wind, exhaust, road, etc…lack of refinement/insulation) and feeling a lot of feedback (steering, seat, rumble)! Mind you, none of this is necessarily bad, it’s just a visceral, big game cat. Unrefined…Sensory surplus, and slowing down can be a little challenging.
In my NSX (with CTSC and exhaust) 100 is easy, refined…pay attention but feedback mainly from the non-power steering. It is more Cheetah-like. Sensory focused on task at hand (no distractions).
The mod’d GT is like the original Maltese Falcon (Star Wars). It’s VERY wide and low and visibility out the sides and back is restricted especially in tight spaces and traffic…but it is very communicative.
Effortlessly and without any drama (from the car itself)…And when you can do 100 mph in 2nd gear (okay 98 mph,) and you have four more gears…then you (as a driver) really don’t have time to feel, think (or care) about anything aft of your 3-9 line (anything from you 3 O’clock to 9 O-clock-anything behind you). Think jumping to light speed…somewhat quietly and without drama you are at triple digits…senses are focused on not screwing this up!

Ha i really enjoy your write up/description of the experiences. I have also learned that I will never think I have tall gearing again

It is really quite amazing how well it performed

- - - Updated - - -

Ha i really enjoy your write up/description of the experiences. I have also learned that I will never think I have tall gearing again
Tall gears, yup! 0-60 in first gear (actually 68)...but ~650 ft. lbs torque does a lot to offset that, plus even 345mm tires can't hold!

Love my NSX, it's a true keeper. The R8 is a great car too - perfect daily drive-able exotic car. Yes I know many don't consider it an exotic but let's not go on that subject.

Great add to your stable, in your case I would have done exactly the same thing.

How is the APR R8 different in terms of mods? Never saw that thing till now and we're a vendor on R8talk too :)

One thing both cars share is their awful stock steering wheels on an otherwise amazing machine!

Side by side, R8 looks a big fat compared to the nimble NSX:

Last edited:
Love my NSX, it's a true keeper. The R8 is a great car too - perfect daily drive-able exotic car. Yes I know many don't consider it an exotic but let's not go on that subject.

Great add to your stable, in your case I would have done exactly the same thing.

How is the APR R8 different in terms of mods? Never saw that thing till now and we're a vendor on R8talk too :)

One thing both cars share is their awful stock steering wheels on an otherwise amazing machine!

Side by side, R8 looks a big fat compared to the nimble NSX:

I really would've liked to have kept my nsx as well :/

But yea ill probably get a wheel from you guys at some point, my friend got one from you for his R8. And its funny to me cuz everyone gives the stock wheel crap in the R8 (the NSXs def deserves it) but i dont have a problem with it lol and i drive a lot of dif cars

As for the APR stuff other than the exhaust you see, I do not know the extent of everything (because there is like no info on this car) but I do know it has an ecu tune, quite possibly a pedal box as this is ridiculously responsive (or/and uber light flywheel?), the tri color scheme, upgraded front brakes (calipers and rotors), one off forged wheels, i was told suspension work, flared side blades (in a unique way ive never seen recreated, different from v10) and I know it did have a front lip on it that i suspect has been damaged and removed over time

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/01/s...7-apr-audi-r8/

Back