Center lens: best practices to remove, take our decal, and replace (from search)?

I'm planning to remove my center tail lens on by 1999 and to remove the decal, re-install it, and then add a Acura logo on the outside. From what I have been able to find via Search, the following quotes, taken from multiple threads, seem to be the best tips to execute this task. Does anyone have other tips or advice before I proceed? thx!

The center taillight does not have a gasket because its sealed. It comes out by removing 4 nuts and you are good to go. You can leave the other two lights in if you want to.

just make sure when you tighten those nuts down that you stop at snug. There are no gaskets to compress so it will snug up quickly and if you overdue it you'll pull the studs right out.

I didn't boil my lense....

Got a heatgun and went around the edge, where
the glue would be, for a few minutes...remember not to get too close or the plastic will start to melt. Pull the lense part....when you are done reheat the lense and the groove where most of the glue is, stick it back on and you'll be all set!

tetsuo

Tetsuo has the best advice for this procedure. I should know because I have had my tail lenses apart 4 times now due to fogging inside the lenses. It's pretty embarrassing to have water inside tail lenses of such a fine automobile. For some reason I can't get them to stop fogging up.

Anyway, a heat gun works a lot better than boiling water and will soften the glue with ease. Only heat up about 6-7 inches at a time and pry the lense apart slowly. I also used a razor blade to cut away the glue as I pried the lense away.(the glue stretches like gum and you need to cut it away as you pry so it doesn't harden back together). The "ACURA" logo just pealed off with my fingernail. I also removed all the excess glue on both the lense and in the groove that the lense fits into to ensure that it would snap back together correctly. I used silicone sealant to re-bond the two pieces together. I also left the center piece blank. It already says NSX on the door pillars and on the bra in the front. I didn't need to have any more NSX logos. Besides, I like the clean look with it blank.

I almost forgot. When re-installing the tail lenses I only hand tightened the nuts inside the trunk with a deep 8mm socket. I put a little crack in one lense by trying to snug the nut with a ratchet. My 2 cents worth. Hope this helps.

You don't need any gaskets for the center tail light, it's already sealed (unlike the left and right tail lights, which use compression gaskets).

If you're DIY-inclined, Acura sells the 'A' emblem for 2002+ by itself, it's PN 75701-SL0-A01 and comes with double-sided tape attached.

Your current 'Acura' emblem is a sticker, attached inside of the red lens. If you heat up the center tail light, you can separate the two halves and remove the sticker.

The color of the factory 2002+ center piece is darker; the degree to which this is apparent depends on lighting and camera settings.

It's not a kitchen accident, which infers that for a consistent appearance, one might be better served modifying their existing component, rather than installing the factory 2002-2005 part, which is darker.

To add to the confusion, the factory 2002-2005 side pieces are a color match to the factory 1991-2001 center piece, so many people doing the retrofit reuse their old center piece in a cost-saving measure, and create a consistently colored result.

I suppose another possible explanation are color differences between different batches of tail light sets for 2002-2005 models, I ordered all of mine from the same dealership, in the same order (but being a NOS part, that doesn't mean they were produced at the same time, or even in the same year).

put a hand towel on a cookie baking sheet then place the lens on the towel then bake it in your oven for 15 minutes on 175 degrees or lowest setting and peel it open like a childs lunchbox. if its still to sticky then put it back into the oven for another 5 mintues but jack the temp up to 190.

it will def peel open with easy and its a lot more quiet than a heatgun vvvvvvvrrrrrrrrrrrrrr vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr get my drift?

lol I do! kinda like listening to the wife's blow dryer in the morning.

I removed the carpet today but didn't quickly come to grips with how to remove the center lens. I know it's 4 bolts but not sure which one.

So instead I just removed the engine cover and installed my new throttle body cover. :-) Maybe Saturday I'll give it another shot.

I removed the carpet today but didn't quickly come to grips with how to remove the center lens. I know it's 4 bolts but not sure which one.

So instead I just removed the engine cover and installed my new throttle body cover. :-) Maybe Saturday I'll give it another shot.

IMG_1017.jpgIMG_1015.jpg

This is the one that I replaced from my '91. The bolts are 8 1/4" on center the long way and 2 1/2 " the other way. When you go to reinstall do not over tighten or you will pull the bolts out of the housing. This was said by another member and once you have it in your hand you will see what I mean. I opted for the one that SOS sells with the Acura symbol on it.

91 NSX Red/Black
09 VW Jetta TDI White

I just did this, actually. Removed the "acura" in the center light. I am actually in the works of getting some "H" Decals made for them - solid black, to be placed inside the lense like the Acura. I didn't want "Honda" or "NSX", so I'm going my own route...

For now though, until I get the decals cut (just got measurements for them - I want the 90's style emblem shape) I just need to get home and email them to my guy, because I left for work and left the measurements at home.

I got it out today.... needed to buy a deep 7mm socket to get it out. Well of course I didn't have one.

Bringing out the heat.

- - - Updated - - -

All apart, "Acura" is off, and ready to re-assemble. And one LAST question: What sort of adhesive did you use to reassemble and ensure that it remains water-tight?

Clear silicone caulking - like that used for home window installation. Got a small tube (squeeze, don't need to use a caulking gun) for a couple bucks at lowe's or Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Silic...d-Door-Caulk-GE500-3TG/100179996#.UrXw0fRDuFg

I'm pretty sure that's the exact stuff I used, but something similar will work just as well. I took the old sealant off for the most part and just made sure I sealed everywhere where the old stuff was.

For heat, I boiled water and dropped it in for a minute as per the DaliRacing.com instructions, but the oven or heat gun works too.

Last edited:
The curse of living one mile from Home Depot..... I'm always there! Got it and all done.... many thx!

put a hand towel on a cookie baking sheet then place the lens on the towel then bake it in your oven for 15 minutes on 175 degrees or lowest setting and peel it open like a childs lunchbox. if its still to sticky then put it back into the oven for another 5 mintues but jack the temp up to 190.

it will def peel open with easy and its a lot more quiet than a heatgun vvvvvvvrrrrrrrrrrrrrr vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr get my drift?

Yep, that's what I did, but I wrapped the light in a moist towel to eliminate any chance of melting. Worked great.

Well I received my logo for the rear lens and wound up with a little surprise. I erred and ordered a FRONT Acura logo instead of the rear. So, it has a pair of prongs for seating it into the front bumber. I am sure I can dremel those prongs off.... but does anyone know how the logo is supposed to attach to the rear lens?

thx! maybe I'll buzz over to the Acura dealer once the snow melts. it'll give me an excuse to meet someone there just in case I need support in an emergency.

probably would have if I ordered the correct emblem!

just did mine today, super easy using an oven at 200 degrees for 15 min. make sure to keep the lens clean and keep checking it in the light as you put it back together. I used black rtv, in my case, you cannot tell the light has been apart.20140707_221416.jpg

Last edited:
Back