Center console & door trim refinished by Science of Speed (lots of pics within)

Let me start off by saying that the painted finish is not perfect compared to the stock film finish on the trim pieces. It's not as smooth as the film (there is no clear coat as SOS said that would cause it to be too shiny), it lacks the 3-D gloss that the film finish provides, and there are a few minute dust particles trapped in the paint. That said, I am extremely happy with the results for the $220 that I paid to have this done. If I wanted a museum/professional show quality restoration, I would buy new trim pieces from Honda (but the center console alone costs $700USD! :eek:). For normal street and hobbyist show use, I would not hesitate to go this route again. Turnaround time was about a week.

BEFORE (this is what I dropped off at SOS):
(BIG thanks goes to nsxter for helping me remove my trim pieces!)
iphone_trim_before.jpg

You can see the bubbling in this crop of the previous photo (taken on iPhone, sorry. I was too lazy to drag out my dedicated camera :().
iphone_trim_before_cropped.jpg

AFTER:
(BIG thanks to nsxter for helping me install my iPod adapter and Panavise mount)
iphone_trim_after.jpg

trim_after_01.jpg

trim_after_02.jpg

trim_after_03.jpg

trim_after_04.jpg

trim_after_05.jpg

trim_after_06.jpg

trim_after_07.jpg

trim_after_08.jpg

trim_after_09.jpg

trim_after_10.jpg

trim_after_11.jpg

I took the opportunity to clean my aspirator fan, and now it's silent as a mouse! :)
trim_after_12.jpg

trim_after_13.jpg

trim_after_14.jpg

trim_after_15.jpg

trim_after_16.jpg

trim_after_17.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great. When I did my old center Console painting as a kid I tried a few diff clearcoats (which were all crap) until I found the krylon clearcoat (there was glossy and no glossy) finish.

If it were me I would clear coat it for protection (test the clearcoat on a non important piece of plastic) but its all IMHO

Re: Center console & door trim refinished by Science of Speed (lots of pics within)

I like how you put the lighter in the socket. The cigarette icon is positioned correctly so the smoke is going up. That's great.:biggrin: :biggrin:
I love it.:biggrin::biggrin: Congrats on the job.

Re: Center console & door trim refinished by Science of Speed (lots of pics within)

it turned out nice. I need to do mine but have no time.

pbassjo I thought everyone put the cig lighter in correctly LOL

I dont like it turned :smile:

I like how you put the lighter in the socket. The cigarette icon is positioned correctly so the smoke is going up.

Looks like the OEM lighter, which came in all three of my cars.

It's a little strange to remember there was a time when a new car came with both a cigarette lighter, and a removable ashtray, to help facilitate smoking, rather than a plastic cap which reads "12V power outlet" :cool:

I like how you put the lighter in the socket. The cigarette icon is positioned correctly so the smoke is going up. That's great.:biggrin: :biggrin:
I love it.:biggrin::biggrin: Congrats on the job.

Yes I'm a little OCD about things like that. Looks like I'm not the only one, LOL.

Yes I'm a little OCD about things like that. Looks like I'm not the only one, LOL.

All the screw heads on all the switch and outlet cover plates in my house are lined up. Does that make me ocd?

All the screw heads on all the switch and outlet cover plates in my house are lined up. Does that make me ocd?

Nope, mine are too. It's the attention to small detail that's makes you successful.

To the OP. Looks good but does it appear to be Bronze in person or is that just because of the flash?

Mine are as well, so I say no. ;)
Looks good but does it appear to be Bronze in person or is that just because of the flash?
I'd say that the colors in the photos are a pretty accurate representation of how they look in person, assuming your monitor is calibrated properly. I took the first "After" photo with my iPhone in sunlight, and the other photos with my Canon at night in my garage, and they look consistent to my eyes. There may be a tint of bronze in the color, but I think the OEM film has that too, so I dunno. The color does seem a shade lighter than the stock finish, which is why SOS recommended having all the trim refinished rather than just the piece that is bubbling.

That looks really nice. I think I'd like to get that done as well. Will they do any color? Did they remove the original coating before painting?

Last edited:

That looks really nice. I think I'd like to get that done as well. Will they do any color? Did they remove the original coating before painting?

I'm not sure if they will do any color, but yes the film was stripped prior to painting.

200 bucks!!!!???:eek::eek:

I had SOS redo the finish on my 93 NSX's trim as well, and am very pleased with the result. Here's a quick iPhone pic. Link to before photo (I replaced the stereo too), and you can see how bad the bubbling was here, but now it's just a memory thanks to SOS.

93NSX_trim.jpg

Back