CEL Code 22

I have not seen this code on prime w/ much results. I'm hoping this helps out someone down the road. There is a thread slightly related here, however its tied to EPS, and that is not my case. There are however at least a handful fruitful search results on the internet, from other VTEC car sites.

Good illustration here of parts here: http://www.oemacuraparts.com/parts-catalog/acura/nsx/1991/nsx/5-speed-manual/engine/spool-valve

From the manual: Code 22 = "Front VTEC Pressure Switch" "P1279" "VTEC system malfunction, Front Bank (Bank 2). You can get this code after jumpering your "service connector"; it was under glove compartment on my 1991, up there out of view and hidden.

Having this CEL kills VTEC, i drove around w/o it for several weeks as i came up w/ funds and doing research.

Visual inspection was step #1. Noticed that the pressure switch (there are 2 of these green buggers in your engine bay). One of these was dry and green, the other was oily... ordered parts from oemacuraparts.com (Tim), got the orings and filters as well. Before any of this, as links on the net and word of mouth were said, oil was filled up.

From parts breakdown link above, these were ordered and replaced related components while doing this:
37250-PR3-003 SWITCH ASSY., VALVE TIMING OILPRESSURE
15825-PR3-005 FILTER ASSY., SPOOL VALVE
36172-PR3-005 FILTER ASSY., SOLENOID

Heres that green switch.
IMG_20130705_104507_575_zps3fbea0d4.jpg
Probably cant see as well from the image above, however you'll see some oil on it, specially when compared to the other one that was dry and clean:
IMG_20130705_104444_533_zps4da50a76.jpg

Perhaps the switch, as the fault suggests, was all that was needed to cure the Code 22, and get VTEC working again. Worked for me :biggrin:

Last edited:
Back