Cd recorder to Computer hookup

I recently bought a cd burner (Sony RCD-W50C) and was wondering how to connect it to my computer. I hope theres a way to do this because this was the main reason why I bought a cd burner (to get all the mp3 files off of my computer). By the way, there are two digital optical inputs on the back of the burner. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
IDE or SCSI?

More than likely IDE. There are usually two different IDE cables inside your computer. One goes to your hard drive the other goes to you cd rom assumming you have one. You will want to use the one going to the cd rom. There usually is an extra plug on the IDE cable. Plug this into the CD Burner observing correct polarity. On the back of the CD burner there is a jumper make sure it is in the slave position. Now find an extra power cable and plug it in.

This should all be done with the main power plug unplugged. You should also be grounded.

nsxxtreme, I know this has nothing to do with the topic, but what kind of bike is that in your avatar?

[This message has been edited by NSX36 (edited 07 October 2002).]

Thanks for the reply nsxxtreme, but I think those instructions you gave me pertain to those cd recorders that need to be connected to a computer, the cd burner I bought is a stand alone unit. I could be wrong though (i'm not really technologically inclined). Thanks for the help though
smile.gif

Originally posted by AndreTheGiant:
I recently bought a cd burner (Sony RCD-W50C) and was wondering how to connect it to my computer. I hope theres a way to do this because this was the main reason why I bought a cd burner (to get all the mp3 files off of my computer). By the way, there are two digital optical inputs on the back of the burner. Thanks for any help.
x158RCDW50c-f.jpeg

Looks like this player/burner functions like a minidisc recorder. I think you can't hook-up to your computer like the other CDRW made for computers. The only you can burn it with your Sony is to get the optical cable, plug it into the computer headphone socket and record the songs while playing it with winamp.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-R9Gc6FON7tn/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=158RCDW50C

Originally posted by NSX36:
nsxxtreme, I know this has nothing to do with the topic, but what kind of bike is that in your avatar?

98 CBR 900RR, I put it up for sale I just don't ride it enough
frown.gif
Total milage on bike 5600. I put 3k miles on it in the two years I've owned it
frown.gif

Good luck with the burner.

[This message has been edited by nsxxtreme (edited 07 October 2002).]

IMO, i think you're better off with an internal CD burner in your computer. no external wires to run. from what you posted, you already have a computer so you're better off with one in your computer. just click and drag your songs. much easier and less time consuming. just my .02

Originally posted by nsx2000:

Looks like this player/burner functions like a minidisc recorder. I think you can't hook-up to your computer like the other CDRW made for computers. The only you can burn it with your Sony is to get the optical cable, plug it into the computer headphone socket and record the songs while playing it with winamp.

If I did this (plug it into the computer headphone socket) how would the quality of the cd be? Will the sound quality be that of a normal cd or will it sound poorly?

It will be an anolog recording same quality as a tape.

Unless you have a digital sound card and a digital input on the cd burner.

[This message has been edited by nsxxtreme (edited 07 October 2002).]

Back