CD-R Question

Hello all, I just bought a computer (my first) and plan on making copies of all my cd's so I don't have to keep moving them from car to car to house when I want to use them. What I'd like to know is if all blank cd-r's are created equal, or if one brand is better than others as far as quality (i.e. less prone to skipping). I'm planning on copying them as cd's and not mp3's, as I don't have the ability to play mp3's in my cars, if that matters.

The best way is t try them... buy a couple brands and check the result. I have had good result with 90% of them (if I take only the CDR post '99 I would say I ad luck with all of them! :D )

Normally TDK, Memorex and Sony all gives very good result. But since "no name" ones cost one third it is always good to try them and see how they works in your case.

I'd say go with brandnames... Sony, TDK, Imitation, etc.. stuffing around with cheap discs will only save you a small amount in the end. And there is nothing more frustrating than burning something to CD only to find months later when you access it that the disc quality has deteriorated & you've lost data. :mad:

Also, here's some info to answer a question you're bound to ask later. It's a bit generalized, but still useful.

<B>How long will rewritable CD-ROMs (CD-Rs) last?</B>
The CD-R's color is a good guide to its longevity. The dye type matters most because dyes have different chemical compositions, and thus different life spans. The four major dye types used in CD-Rs can be identified by their intrinsic color:

<B>Cyanine Blue</B> - green or distinctly green - life range from 10 years to as high as 75 years.
<B>Phthalocyanine</B> - Usually gold - reputed shelf life of something like 100 years.
<B>Formazan</B> - Greenish gold - hybrid of both above.
<B>Metallized AZO</B> - Dark blue - a long shelf life, approaching that of phthalocyanine.

In other words, the ratings are as follows:

Green, Blue-Green == Standard
Greenish Gold == Good
Dark Blue == Better
Gold == Best

Lately there are also a lot of silverish CDRs. They looka lot like printed CDs. I found out that some of them can be also read in the XBOX (that normally is not CDR compatible).

WillErickson said:
Huh? I thought CD-R's were just like cd's for compatibility purposes. Does this mean my NSX's cd changer (stock unit) won't play cd-r's?

<B>Will</B> : You are correct... CD-R's are just like CD's.
They are called CD-R because unlike a pressed silver CD, they are "recordable". CD-RW are "Re-Writable".

The NSX Stock CD Changer should play CD-R discs no problems. (technical addition: although you may have skip/seek/tracking probz with cheap & nasty cd-r's or cheap burners)

sorry we confused you.

Back