catalytic converter

I was told by my mechanic that my catalytic converter has to be replaced. Check engine light is on - bank 2. Should i go oem or aftermarket? the oem is around $1350 and $150 in labor. I have a 95 with 82,000 miles. Once replaced will the car perform better? I have not really noticed any difference in performance since the check engine light came on.
thanks

I was told by my mechanic that my catalytic converter has to be replaced. Check engine light is on - bank 2. Should i go oem or aftermarket? the oem is around $1350 and $150 in labor. I have a 95 with 82,000 miles. Once replaced will the car perform better? I have not really noticed any difference in performance since the check engine light came on.
thanks

Its not a matter of performance - check with the dealer to see if your car qualifies for the extended emissions warranty - i had to have my cats replaced b/c they were shot as well... they didn't charge me b/c it was under this extended emissions warranty. Better than paying for it. If you go with aftermarket, your car wont pass smog after a year or 2 b/c the cores in the aftermarket cats aren't as good as OEM....

thanks

Why don't u start with putting ur state/country location right under ur avatar.

The laws and requirements varies.

California being the toughest here in the states.

...... If you go with aftermarket, your car wont pass smog after a year or 2 b/c the cores in the aftermarket cats aren't as good as OEM....

I dun think that is entirely true.

Based on the "free-flowing" ones I've seen that were sold, yes u r correct.

However, if you use these cats that are prescribed for either CA or the 49 states then they should have no significant differences in terms of longevity.

The other option is what I have done. Use the LARGEST cat from Magnaflow that will fit and the emission results will be amazing.

On my 2002 Sonoma with 160k miles it was failing smog bad.

I tossed on there the Magnaflows that were double in size (more surface are and larger cat inlet and outlet diameter also meant that I was putting on a freer flowing cat).

The results were that all of the readings read ZERO on HC and CO. The NOx read 6PPM - way below averages.

As a matter of fact the smog shop had to check if the sniffer was in the tail pipe deep enough and he was looking around for suspicious "cheats" since the readings were waaaay toooo low for a truck of that mileage.

However, if you use these cats that are prescribed for either CA or the 49 states then they should have no significant differences in terms of longevity.

The other option is what I have done. Use the LARGEST cat from Magnaflow that will fit and the emission results will be amazing.

I tossed on there the Magnaflows that were double in size (more surface are and larger cat inlet and outlet diameter also meant that I was putting on a freer flowing cat).

The results were that all of the readings read ZERO on HC and CO. The NOx read 6PPM - way below averages.

As a matter of fact the smog shop had to check if the sniffer was in the tail pipe deep enough and he was looking around for suspicious "cheats" since the readings were waaaay toooo low for a truck of that mileage.

Um I installed the prospeed 300 cell cats and after about a year of daily driving the cats were shot. Would not pass smog. Luckily I had my brand new OEM cats on hand that were never used and put those on and everything was fine. I also increased my gas mileage quite a bit too... instead of 200 miles a tank i now get 320 miles to a tank..... the car is a lot quieter but its better for the environment and the wallet.

Its not a matter of performance - check with the dealer to see if your car qualifies for the extended emissions warranty - i had to have my cats replaced b/c they were shot as well... they didn't charge me b/c it was under this extended emissions warranty. Better than paying for it. If you go with aftermarket, your car wont pass smog after a year or 2 b/c the cores in the aftermarket cats aren't as good as OEM....
I believe I am passed the 15 year/150,000miles extended emissions warranty. I live in florida so there is no emissions testing. I'l drop by the dealer tomorow and see if I am still under warranty.

You will have a hard time to find a muffler shop to weld in the cats..... Most won't touch it in Calif and it isn't an easy job as well.

You will have a hard time to find a muffler shop to weld in the cats..... Most won't touch it in Calif and it isn't an easy job as well.

Huh?

Muffler shops in California sell and install cats to replace failing cats all the time :confused: How else would one get their failing cats replaced?

J

Perhaps in ur hood.

But up here it's not a problem.

Certainly not for the OBD-1 models where I believe the laws say that as long as I replace it with an equal or better cat as for the car then Im good.

Huh?

Muffler shops in California sell and install cats to replace failing cats all the time :confused: How else would one get their failing cats replaced?

J

Please dont weld any cats to your car..!!!. find some slightly used OEM cats and go with that... its easy to change them out. Just a few bolts and then you're done......

Why has no one in this thread recommend the high-flow cats sold in the vendor section which are direct fit replacements? They are VERY reasonably priced.

Please dont weld any cats to your car..!!!. find some slightly used OEM cats and go with that... its easy to change them out. Just a few bolts and then you're done......

Why did you quote me? I never said to weld anything in. I just said that muffler shops replace failing cats all the time. Muffler shops can and presumably do sometimes replace with OEM cats. Did you mean to quote nis350?

Why has no one in this thread recommend the high-flow cats sold in the vendor section which are direct fit replacements? They are VERY reasonably priced.

The Prospeed ones? Maybe there's some negative feedback; I honestly don't know. I do know one owner who's been waiting for too long for his to come in, though.

J

Does your mechanic happen to work at the Dealers shop :cool:?
They own their own shop in central Florida. They work on nsx's all the time

thanks

A 95 with 82k seems low for a cat to fail. O2 sensors good? Since you have no emissions test in FL, you could do hi flo cats, test pipes and foulers or OEM replacement cats.

Last edited:
i would reset the check engine light by removing the fuse. the check engine light would go off but would return when I would do alot of city / stop & go drivingfor about 1-2 hours. If the cat is clogged would there be a certain smell when it gets really hot because it is clogged?

i would reset the check engine light by removing the fuse. the check engine light would go off but would return when I would do alot of city / stop & go drivingfor about 1-2 hours. If the cat is clogged would there be a certain smell when it gets really hot because it is clogged?

buy new o2 sensors first.

Cats get hot when you dump to much unburned fuel into them, clogged cats cause a loss of preformance.

Back