Catalytic Converter Replacement -- Recommendation

When replacing my 02 sensors and exhaust recently I noticed one of my catalytic converters no longer had the honeycomb-like material and was hollow.

A call to the Acura dealer (local -- didn't try discount) was around $1100. Next!

Googled and found a place that sells an aftermarket direct-fit component:

http://www.catalyticonverters.com/ACNSXACU10309194.html

~$274 shipped for the one I needed. Bill (ext. 304) was very helpful.

For anyone that finds themselves in need of a new cat, this is a great way to save enough to buy a new set of tires. I consulted a friend who does emissions testing for a living and he explained there should not be a big quality difference in parts. Cats are pretty simple.

Now, getting to the source of the problem (cats really shouldn't blow-out) -- I believe running original 02 sensors (car is a 91 with 110K+ miles) have long since expired and I assume the car's been running in open loop (extra rich) for a while.

At any rate -- hope this helps anyone else who finds themselves in the same bind I'm in.

Regards,

-Matt

Hey Matt,

Hope all is well. Are these rebuilt or new? I think I remember stumbling upon this site a while ago. Sounds like a great deal.

Did you just order them?? Please fill us in on how they work out.

Thanks,
LarryB

Private me when you get a chance:)

matt_shover said:
When replacing my 02 sensors and exhaust recently I noticed one of my catalytic converters no longer had the honeycomb-like material and was hollow.

A call to the Acura dealer (local -- didn't try discount) was around $1100. Next!

Googled and found a place that sells an aftermarket direct-fit component:

http://www.catalyticonverters.com/ACNSXACU10309194.html

~$274 shipped for the one I needed. Bill (ext. 304) was very helpful.

For anyone that finds themselves in need of a new cat, this is a great way to save enough to buy a new set of tires. I consulted a friend who does emissions testing for a living and he explained there should not be a big quality difference in parts. Cats are pretty simple.

Now, getting to the source of the problem (cats really shouldn't blow-out) -- I believe running original 02 sensors (car is a 91 with 110K+ miles) have long since expired and I assume the car's been running in open loop (extra rich) for a while.

At any rate -- hope this helps anyone else who finds themselves in the same bind I'm in.

Regards,

-Matt

Matt can you post Bill's entire phone number?
thanks

Back